Toyworld Evila Star (Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having fiddled with him quite a bit last night I can confirm that he appears to be die cast free.

2. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

I'd buy that

3. char_leigh

char_leigh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quick video tip

Here's a quick video tip on transforming Evila Star's backpack. I apologize for the shaky video, but I hope this helps a little and spares you the frustration that I had when I tried transforming him the first time with the terrible instruction sheet:
    ToyWorld TW-06 Evila Star / Devilstar Backpack solution... - YouTube

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you mean those two purple flaps that fold together and sit in the middle of train mode between the two black panels, mine are mirror images of each other. The longer part with the ridges goes on top of train mode.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I fixed the flopping train rods (in shuttle mode at least):

[​IMG]

I (very carefully) drilled out a peg hole in the slots that the wing tips plug into. The rods can plug into them and are held secure. The paint got messed up a little but it's not visible in any mode as something is always plugged in covering it.

Won't work as nice for bot mode as the tips are in the way, for that I just kinda wedge them under the tips. And I just realized looking at that pic I lost one of those little black screw covers. Dammit. I should have glued them in.

6. draconious380

draconious380 Well-Known Member

After an hour of fiddling mine would not transform properly. After a short break I came back and examined it closely. There was some mold flash or leftover plastic from the sprue on the central block keeping it from sliding into place for robot mode. A simple snip of my side cutter, and some mild filing later, now it transforms perfectly.

The engineering in this figure is brilliant, and surprisingly intuitive despite the awful instructions. My only gripe is that the shuttle wings don't lock in robot mode AFAIK.

7. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    Great! Thanks for the tip MegaMoonMan. Surprised they hadn't thought of this before releasing him.

8. quegon

quegon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not the best picture but sharing since everyone wanted to know scale. This is what I have out at the moment.

[​IMG]

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This thing is full of surprises. I found a new way to collapse the legs that I've never seen pictured before:

[​IMG]

The top leg is the way I've always seen it done, but the bottom leg is what it's supposed to be like. After I found it I checked the instructions, it's in there (badly of course). The original proto pics in the first post do show it the proper way, I just never noticed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Surprised there hasn't been a video review yet

11. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    There already was, just not in English.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Sweet, looks to be perfect Classics scale for me. I'm really looking forward to getting this on Monday.

13. char_leigh

char_leigh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rear Black Panel on Lower Leg

After seeing other people's Evila Stars and the official pics, I noticed that I did my lower legs a bit differently. The black panels on the rear of the lower legs are on swivels. I rotated them upward and pegged them into the slots...

Attached Files:

14. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    After watching the Chinese video review last night I'm pretty much sold on this one. Just going to wait a few months to see if they announce a toon colours version before I bite.

That's cool, thanks. :thumb 
    Looks like new megatron should be just taller enough to suit his position.

15. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

Was far less impressed with this than I was hoping. Did not like the torso, little too tall IMO and really hate the feet. Believing that something different could have been done there with the room that is in the nose cone.

Also way too fiddly for my tastes. Could not get shuttle and train to completely line up again. Always had a gap here or there. Poses ok but there are a few things I really would have done differently.

16. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    WOrking on it! Never done a triple-changer before---more pics to color, to show everything. Plus I don't completely know its transformation, so some areas may be "impossible" due to me inadvertently having the same part be different colors in different modes. I'm basically giving shuttle mode highest priority, with a concession or two to keeping robot mode's colors "coherent" and not like, well, a TFC toy. :) 

(loco mode is basically unwrapped and makes up the bottom of the shuttle, so it can be colored however and not really affect shuttle mode---but shuttle mode greatly affects robot mode)

17. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Ok, here's my idea---kinda rough, but gets the point across. It's not toon colors, it's not toy colors, it's not real-world colors. It's a hybrid of all 3, that I think looks good. Purple wings+purple boiler=very consistent loco look. (no big white triangle peeking out)

[​IMG]
    (if anything, this is basically the Union Pacific's two-tone-grey scheme, but with purple instead of grey)
    [​IMG]
    (white or grey wings are boring, but the toy's purple ones are awesome--but keep the real-world black edges, as they help loco mode and are a nice accent[​IMG]

Bonus, alternate purple smoke deflectors (which would make shuttle mode more like the G1 toy and toon, color-wise, as this is the area on the sides of the rear fuselage):
    [​IMG]

Doing the windows made me realize, there's no forward windows in loco mode! He's driving blind!

And the purple's gotta be BOLD, not the color they used on their first release (too dark and desaturated).

18. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Now that looks really good. :thumb 

19. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Hey nice work there!
    I actually think I like the bonus loco colours with the purple smoke deflectors.
    There are so many folding panels on this thing that you could make a myriad of different paint schemes, all sublty different.
    You never know, ToyWorld may release a recolour that gets close to what you want, or customise yours yourself?

20. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Excellent! Great comparison shot of all those sweet figures.