Toyworld Dinobots - How are They?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zappit, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing some third party Dinobots lately, but there's a slew of them out there. I've been slightly more budget minded, and was looking at the Toyworld bots. So I wanted to ask anyone who might own them. What's the scale? How's the quality. What QC issues might come up? They look good, but I do want to make sure before I start investing. Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

What he said. I did a lot of research into the same dilema myself and the toyworld ones are very solid and great for individual dinobots. It depends on what look you like though. If you like this look more than the others, and you want chug scale, then you'll probably be happy. Just don't go get excited about combining them. That combination ain't too good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Well said guys and agreed...it might look cool combined but it's a mess of parts that easily fall off and it's very frustrating to handle.

The individuals are great, save maybe Swoop's alt mode and Sludges size (too small). Grimlock is a bit messy and compromised for torso duty but he's still a nice representation. Overall these are proudly my CHUG dinobots and far exceed the old Classics Grimlock from 2007.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only impression I have for this set is the Grimlock in dino mode looks very much like a roast Peking duck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I'll mirror what others have said great individuals although if they were all the same size as grimlock I think I'd be happier. Combined mode is a mess though, I do t have swoop or slag( not that I don't want them just never got around to getting them) so I can't speak for them but grimlock aside the others make no sacrifices to be combiners other than being a bit smaller than the torso so that's a plus. The weapons are on the puny side and the guns are laughable but as a classics set of dinobots they check all the right boxes for me and since my classics is all henkei/united the chrome blends in just fine

6. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love mine, the foot and thigh connectors could be better but it is what it is, I did have a freak accident with my slag where I lost a leg on him, but I plan to replace him with the blue one incase I ever get the GCreations ver. they'll have some diff

7. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

I'll agree with what's already been said. Good voyager class dinobots, but awkward combine mode.

8. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

Great set for your classics collection...don't know many people using the combined mode, but it's alright. As far as QC, not many problems with mine. The Swoop wings I had to sand down a bit to cause less stress on the ports and his dino head was a little loose. He felt the most rushed out of all of them. The rest are solid.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blaque_Ravage

Blaque_Ravage The Beast From The East

QC is fine nothing serious with them only issue is swoop his wing peg holes are too tight and can stress but I heard it can be fixed.

These figures shine in there robot modes and have a nice G1 look to them they look great also with classics,chug scale. So pretty much the set is solid when displayed as individual robot modes or dino modes but not so much as combine mode which honestly shouldnt been displayed as personally.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The set is very underrated and over looked. First thing to note though, combiner mode is a waste. Don't bother.

Fortunately, the combining aspects of the figures make almost no difference in their playability.

Grimlock is outstanding. Great transformation, solid, good joints. Minor complaint: gray faceplate. He shits all over the FP Grimlock.

Snarl is also top tier. He really does everything right, transforms well, and has good presence. Really captures the cartoon AND toy callbacks of the character.

Slag is really good too. His transformation is a bit fiddly due to the arms, shoulders, and dino head tolerance while moving.

Sludge is ok, not great, not bad. He's the most meh of the group partially because the FP Sludge is so outstanding and partially because he has a lot of compromises in dino mode: size and neck articulation.

Swoop is the problem child. His bot mode is spot on...it's just too big by like 10%. His dino mode is kind of hated because it's a block with wings. There is a notable and very worth while alternate transformation that I think fixes almost all his problems:

Not my pics (actually breauman's), but this is it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, I'll admit that the swords suck...big time. They all could be better. I've essentially stolen the FP swords from my Diaclone versions to give them proper weaponry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Don't buy them. I did. Wish I hadn't.

Their Slag and Sludge are alright, Grimlock is pretty good. Other two are terrible, especially their swoop who's a fucking trainwreck of terrible design and shoddy build quality.

Cmbined mode is a big mess with a major stability issue that comes in to play whenever you are attempting to pose the legs, the shoulder connectors suck and the proportions are pretty terrible.

And the biggest salt in the wound of this disappointing set is just how insanely over-expensive it is to ship them since all their boxes are ludicrously too big and heavy for what they contain.

12. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I have them and like them. I never did the combined mode and have no desire to do it. My only issues are Swoop's alt-mode and Grimlock's goofy neck in alt-mode. But great for CHUG collections going off of G1.

13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    What is important to you for Dinos? Is it bot mode look, quality / engineering / clean look , dino mode look and articulation, chrome gold, combined mode, etc... ?

I see mention of swoop being fail for TW. Personally, I think Swoop is a fail from ALL 3rd party Chug offerings (well, PX not too bad, but definitely not for everyone). TW is ugly in alt mode for sure and bot isnt super, FP is weird looking and i didnt like the alt mode at all and wing articulation is horrible design, PX is nicest but small and expensive and some wont like the none painted or chromed gold, and GCS is waay too big in bot mode and not my taste in bot mode. In comparison, Grimlock and maybe Slag done well (or well enough) across the board...

For the fans that may care for alt modes, the TW and GCS dinos have more limited articulation then FP and PX, which are more dynamic in Dino modes.
    TW / PX seem to have a more solid / refined / less kibbly transformation / robot look than say FP and GCS.
    FP has the better paint apps, but an updated/different type of look that many dont like
    TW has the gold chrome throughout, and GCS too with the dino head in smoke clear
    GCS has an awesome looking combined mode, and very big, but seems to be the one suffering with the most qc

As you can see, combined mode is a wash, so if you want a combiner, maybe make a new thread asking for that.

Anyways, good luck

14. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Look no further if you want a G1 style Dinobot collection in CHUG size. They are competent as individual bots, though some proportions are compromised for the sake of combined mode. However, if you're mainly interested in the combined mode, I wouldn't bother with this set.

On the other hand, if you want FOC-style bad-ass Dinobots for your CHUG collection, Planet X is my personal choice. FansProject LER (Lost Exo Realm) is cool for a re-imagined, modern Dinobot update, but that line sort of faded into the background now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. C16

C16 Space Nomad

They're perfect for Classics. The Grimlock isn't so great and the combined mode is a pointless trash heap, but everything else is great.

16. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't interested in a combiner for Dinobots. That just seems...wrong to me.

I'm hearing a lot more good than bad. Thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
  17. rhys

rhys New Member

Hi all - I haven't seen these dinobots in person and I haven't been able to find the info online - would someone be able to advise of these guys' heights in alt-mode please?