Toyworld Constructor (Devastator/Constructicons)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Aug 7, 2015.

1. PkP Edge PkP

PkP Edge PkP Well-Known Member

Man I hate coming into this thread..... everytime I do it makes me want to spend thousands of theoretical dollars :( . That cartoon and weathered green set are so amazing looking.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    I was under the impression that it was cast in yellow. I have the green thigh kit and the yellow box set, both of which are not painted.

3. junkbot

junkbot Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That sounds correct. It would be silly for them to make the set green and have to paint it all yellow. Not cost effective IMHO.

4. Evolv3d

Evolv3d Well-Known Member

yellow thighs are molded in yellow plastic, no paint.

• Like Like x 1
  5. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

over a month and still no movement on my perfect edition...sheesh....this wait is fucking awful. I should have had showZ just hold it for a while rather than ship it during this mess.

6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

We'll see what ultimately happens. But bottom line...buy this stuff because you want it to enjoy. Don't buy it because it should have value later...especially these Constructor sets! I have a feeling these sets will pull a hard Kronos if/when the next MP-style Dev comes along. As great as this set is now...it's only because it's the best option currently available. And it's easily toppable! Hell, Toyworld could put out a far superior set themselves if they just colored the damn things accurately. As many sets as they've pumped out, I can't believe they haven't done a toon accurate set...specifically for the individual bots. Wouldn't take much to get them right... But thanks for that, TW! NOT doing it saves me a lot of butt-hurt. :D 

If you want to scalp FansToys stuff in the short term...if that's your thing (not saying YOU, T-1,) there's some safety in that, but even FT I think has/will have a shelf life. All it takes is an improved re-issue, an all-out re-do, or another group to put out a better version and there goes your value. And if this goes on long enough and remains the primary collector focus...all there is to do is re-do popular characters...like what they were doing at the end of the line for 3P Generations figures. Kinda like what TT (and to a lesser extent, FT) has started to do already...

Anyhow, I'm feeling pretty repetitive so I think I should probably just go Forrest...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I totally agree, don't buy Transformers as investments or you could be real sorry. I was just trying to imagine if a new product could come in that would make my whole current collection look like trash (which to be fair totally did happen with Classics and Binaltech. They seemed tip top at the time!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. jma141

jma141 Well-Known Member

Thanks bud!

9. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

The Collectors Market:

Transformers as investments... in a world where people buy crypto-currency, to turn a buck... why not?

20190828_155455_HDR.jpg

Currency should have no intrinsic value that would peak and dive like a wild roller-coaster ride... and yet, here we are.

Capture+_2020-05-08-19-10-37.png

Comics and toys are collectables. As adults, we often follow them like a market... and we typically purchase them knowing they won't be around forever.

That scarcity, in the face of growing demand creates the collectors market... which is then amplified or decimated by interest on eBay, and forums like this one.

While FT Phoenix has enjoyed a massive presence on TFW2005 since his initial tease, I never remember DacaToys Kronos sharing a similar limelight... even when the figure was going for $300.00 on eBay.

Quality, Style and the Next Big Thing:

So I'd be delusional if I didn't comprehend that FansToys Phoenix was the better figure when compared to DacaToys Kronos, or any other option out there...

That said... I still love my Kronos... but then, I spent a whopping $70 USD on the figure. And at $70 USD, I've convinced myself of several things...

IMG_20180630_145233.jpg

I think he scales better with the other figures (always felt Phoenix to be a bit too tall... especially when scaled with Constructor).

IMG_20180630_121311~2.jpg

And if your patient with him, he's capable of some fairly dynamic action poses.

20200508_125835_HDR~2.jpg
    20200508_115111_HDR~2.jpg
    20200508_125432_HDR~2.jpg

All that said... at $250 USD, in the year 2018, 2019 or 2020... we'd be having a different conversation.

And FansToys offers significant advancements in style and quality over my second-hand Kronos of yesteryear.

Sadly anytime Phoenix was available, I never had the money... likely because I had exhausted my funds on Constructor, or Armageddon... or some other massive brute.

But in all seriousness, I think that the rough and greeble-heavy exterior of Kronos meshes well with the ToyWorld/Zeta/IDW style... and obviously less with the toon-centric look that is the current trend.

20190504_131043_HDR~2.jpg

But as engineering advances, so too should these figures that we spend our inheritance on.

Out with the old (MP-10), and in with the bold (MP-44).

Now personally, I won't be jumping on that bandwagon... not at almost $500 USD, but many will.

I'm no economist, I purchase what speaks to me. But I do spend some amount of time thinking about the economics of collecting. And you know who else thinks about the economics of collecting...

...Manufacturers!!

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. BumbleDouche

BumbleDouche Active Member

The cel-shaded release has an undeniably beautiful & detailed paint-job, but I just can't see it fitting with the rest of my collection. I don't want to sound overly harsh to those that have this release, but I can't help but feel that those cel-shaded bots look like they're made out of cardboard for some reason. They're shaded as if to suggest they've got shiny metallic surfaces, but the finish seems entirely too matte for it to ring true. It bothers me that I can't articulate it more tactfully, but there's something that just looks too out of place to me. Perhaps because the shading on the figures is more detailed than it ever was in the original cartoon? Argh! I dunno...

• Like Like x 2
  11. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There are some other cel-shaded bots, plus reprolabels makes some cel-shaded window stickers and such... if you put enough of that into a display, especially if you created a few cel-shaded diorama parts, I think it'd look pretty amazing.

I'm one of those people that loves clear/translucent bots, so I understand the draw to something that embodies the characters you love with a special twist... like these, which look like they jumped out of the Transformers: Devastation video game.

• Like Like x 4
  12. junkbot

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Your opinion matters. I have it and I’m still not sure if I like it. I think what is most intriguing is the detail that the person who painted was able to accomplish. Very nice. I do however, agree that it’s a bit much for a toy. I am on the fence on mine. I will need a part from Showz to fix it and then I might just sell it. Then I won’t feel like I’ve sucked my bank dry by getting the OG version. One sold for another. Having big bots is a space constraint. In reality, I probably only need the X version. It would make life a lot simpler. Parting with the dirty yellow will probably not happen. Haha. Weathered yellow is pretty cool. So yea, I think three might do the trick. The X, and the weathered yellow and weathered green. That is more than enough IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zherneboh

Zherneboh BRAVE BOMBER

Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I totally understand why the cel shaded set wouldn't appeal to someone, jar the eye, even not accounting for the high price tag! I can't really display mybots at present, only play with them, tinker, photo then put them away again until the next time. I personally think that this is a definitive thing in my collection and it will be dear to me over the years. The paint job is beautiful as well as the detailing in my opinion, I probably over softened my latest photos, they're glossier in hand perhaps:) 

I put a massive amount of work in justto get them all up and running (again, many wouldn't want to sand away at expensive figures and I completely understand that!) so they feel like a very personal set to me, I've gone over the whole brute! I just see it as a stand alone piece ultimately and maybe one day I'll pair it with a couple of other cel shaded figures like @ph4zed suggests when I've got more space.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BumbleDouche

One of the frustrating things about multiple version releases such as this is that I always manage to find some little detail that, had it been done slightly differently, could have resulted in the perfect look. In Constructor's case, there were first the issues of the head looking a little off, then the silver thighs & in this case the (apparent?) contradiction of a matte finish trying to invoke the appearance of a glossy surface. I'm sure I'm not alone in this but for me it's usually some minor, pedantic feature that I then snowball into a major crisis lol, but it's just those sorts of elements that bother me increasingly over time. I'm sure toy companies do that purposely, I mean how many times over have TW sold us variants on the same product with Constructor?
    Anyway, I should clarify, the perfect look for me doesn't necessarily mean the best looking standalone figure. I've seen some truly amazing custom paint jobs with shiny metallic bells & whistles, battle damage, dirt & grime, etc. that look truly incredible, & in that sense this version of Constructor is no less impressive. The problem for me is integrating such varying designs with the already established aesthetic of my MP collection. I simply don't have the room for multiple versions of the same character, so I've limited myself to one "definitive" Masterpiece-scale version of select individuals, all on display in an increasingly crowded wall of Detolfs. Because they're all on display together, I feel some level of cohesion is essential. For that reason, I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like the cel-shaded Constructor, rather it's too far removed from everything else in my collection & would unfairly detract from the otherwise homogeneous look I prefer. I think it would be particularly true if you're trying to portray a scene or event - if one figure stands out more than the rest, it doesn't matter how the rest of them are positioned because no one's going to look at what they're doing. The eye will instantly be drawn to what's out of place. Otherwise, in my fantasy land imagination, I'd have four of these Devastators as gargoyles on the eaves of my mansion roof to frighten away Autobots & Avon ladies with another one to stand on one leg like a ballerina while spouting fire from his mouth at the center of a champagne fountain.

• Like Like x 2
  15. junkbot

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well said! :D 

Sorry I meant to say they don’t abandon the G2 Megatron.

I mostly collect G2.

English is my second language.

I did. I meant to say the don’t abandon the G2 Megatron. I remember they tease him a few years ago after they release Laser Optimus.

Unsure what I will do with my cell shade. A part of me likes it, but the sensible side tells me to part with it. I’m boxing it up for now until my replacement part comes in from @ShowZStore. The waist was jacked up and I need a new one. It could take like 2-3 months. When I get it I’ll know what I want to do with it. For sure he will be less compared to a US retailer and less than what I paid for him from @ShowZStore so if I do sell you will get a good deal with all fees and shipping included if you live in the continental US only.
    CA721E30-1AE2-43DC-A7BE-5E530CA0A1C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2020
  16. generalgrevious

generalgrevious Well-Known Member

i still have the original and i like it. what i would like to get repalced is those black drill bits for those nice silver ones though.

17. junkbot

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Have you thought of painting them? It would be a cool project. Yes just having like one does make it a lot simpler. Sometimes when you have multiples it’s like chasing the next best thing. LOFL.

18. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Is the cell shaded yellow or green. I’m red/green color blind so I can’t tell the difference, which is why I have two yellow sets. But compulsion is pushing me towards selling one to buy a green set, even if they look the same to me.

19. generalgrevious

generalgrevious Well-Known Member

yeah i thought about and i might still

20. BumbleDouche

Green.

• Like Like x 1