Toyworld Constructor (Devastator/Constructicons)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    The Perfect Edition, of course. It’s called that because it’s perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Figures.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blingotron

Blingotron Well-Known Member

Speaking of those shallow screws. I bought some M2 12mm laptop screws to replace those pitiful little screws holding Burden's legs together. I think if they used the longer screws to begin with I might not have had any problems with his legs.

I'm gonna have to see if I can find any images of Shovel being broken. I'd be interested to see if longer screws would've helped that too.

Edit: Found this from @Sqlwizard . He said he fixed his with longer screws and some JB Weld. He's an advocate of JB Weld to fix Constructor BTW. I don't blame him and will likely be doing the same with Burden.
    shovel.jpg

Here's the page where I got the picture from: Toyworld Constructor (Devastator/Constructicons)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    This is good info, dude. I just slapped some liquid cement onto his pelvis to see if it’d hold him and - for now - it seems to be.

But I’m fully expecting him to break again, even if it’s somewhere else now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grimlock212

Grimlock212 Well-Known Member

Before I got a replacement I used a zip tie. It actually worked well and wasn’t visible. Not a professional fix, but it gets the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

I received my replacement parts from TFSource and Green Constructor has now taken the place of my old damaged Yellow.
    PXL_20210627_041824974.jpg
    PXL_20210627_042205038.MP.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. MV Steve

MV Steve Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
  8. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Probably going to resell 5 of the 6 as individual figures as Allocator is damaged.

9. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A toy store near me has individual allocator and burden new in their boxes if you are in need of the one. If you were even contemplating keeping it if you could fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. I'll more likely just list my Allocator for sale as damaged at a lower price than the others if somebody else wants to try fixing him. No need for me to fix him since I have the green one now.

11. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

Please let me know how the screws, work out, @Blingotron. I was inspecting the newly-arrived orange Constructor, and while Burden's legs seem completely fine, the two halves of the combiner pants had a big gap between the front crotch-plate and the rear butt-plate. I tried to take out the screws, press the pieces closer together, and screw them back in, but literally nothing happened. I took the crotch apart entirely; there are 6 rods that go from one half of the crotch to the other - two long ones on the bottom, two long ones in the middle on top, two short ones on top on the left and right ends - and the screws go into the ends of those rods. Four out of four rods along the top had their ends completely crumbled off. People make fun of XTB's Drag Strip's shoulders for being made of crumbly cheese, but buddy, those shoulder have nothing on these four rods. I managed to mostly put three of them together with plastic cement (4th one was just too many crumbs, I couldn't even find everything to reassemble), but if I put the screws through those pieces they'll probably just break again. I need screws that are at least twice as long, I figure.

What's worse is that the two halves of the crotch actually refuse to press together close enough to leave no gap. There's something about the waist-swivel musrhoom peg from the abdomen section that goes into the crotch that is preventing it from closing tightly, and preventing the waist swivel from waist swiveling. At first I thought the hole had too small a diameter, and sanded it a little bit to increase it, but that had no change whatsoever. I gave up trying to fix it because it was late at night, but I don't have any bright ideas on it anyway. It looks like the mushroom peg itself is not perfectly flat, the two halves of it form like a 178-degree angle rather than a 180 one, so maybe the outer edges of it end up being lifted a little and so it doesn't spin freely in the groove for it.

I think it's just hilarious that ToyWorld's garbage QC and garbage choice of plastic made it so the pants - the most notable thing about this combiner, the thing that first set it apart, the thing that set a new standard for combiners - had two separate, different breaks in them that hinder regular use.

12. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Even though fixing the screws is an absolute must, before that you have to figure out why that wont close up perfectly. My waist also was showing a gap out of the box but only a little on the right side, not enough to make me tear into it, but I did press it together and tried to slowly tighten the screw, it just spun! Everywhere else is closed up seamlessly so you gotta find out why that's going on otherwise you'd more than likely crumble more of those posts trying to put longer screws in and them forcing against the resistance of the waist halves.

If you go back a few pages you can read more about all the screw crap but my theory is the plastic is a little too hard for regular coarse threaded screws (which is what are used) to be screwed in during assembly and have them nicely cut their own threads. Instead while these short screws are cutting the little bit that they can, they are creating more of a wedge effect putting pressure from inside out of the posts cracking and/or crumbling them. Since the damage is already done on so many of the constructors all you can do is fix them as they finish breaking and come apart on their new owners. I think the right way to fix this is glue the post back together and use longer self tapping type screws or use a tap first then put regular/longer screws in. This will prevent further cracking and also stop the parts you just glued from cracking again, mostly. Results will vary from how badly damaged the post was to begin with, how and what glue used to put it back together, this is the way!

• Like Like x 1
  13. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Quick question...

I've had the Perfect version for a while, but just recently swapped out the thighs for the green set (found one, finally!).

I rarely handled him previously, so can't recall, but do the rear parts of the thighs always move? They feel loose, even when screwed in fully (and they aren't broken). Were my old set like that and I didn't notice? Does the paint job keep them solid, and the green ones just wobble?

I'd appreciate Perfect edition, original, v2, and other owners impressions. Hell, yellow and orange guys too, if there's a difference or they're the same.

It's just an odd thing that the fronts feel solid and the backs feel like they're hanging by a thread :confused: 

14. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Mine now wobble after stripping the paint. It's not much but like yourself when I was putting them back on, i touched them a few times and kept asking myself, "did i forget to tighten that?" But nope! You could take them back off and put a thin partial wrap of clear tape where they sit and it should take up the slack. btw the fronts are solid because they slide through multiple rings/sleeves per post to achieve the moving they go through and they tend to keep their own tension on the posts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Cheers, I did wonder! As he's basically a statue I'm not overly concerned, but if it had been unusual I'd be worried I'd missed something obvious and was stressing something that would inevitably disintegrate.

You put my mind at rest, so thanks for that :) 

16. Arkine

Arkine Throws the boxes away.

I thought the Devastator slot was filled but the QC is opening up space for a new Devy. Lets see if anybody takes up the challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blingotron

That's where i'm at. I know i'll be able to fix Burden's legs but at this point someone else needs to make Devastator. Toyworld is just too unreliable and refuses to help people. I've said it before but they are an active company making current products and there is absolutely no excuse for them not to offer replacement parts for their older stuff. Especially since they have to know their shit breaks regularly in the same spots. Personally, I have sworn off all Toyworld bots after all this. Screw em.

The screws work well since they are almost 2x the length of the original screws and they can now get down into the more reinforced area of the screw post and that helps a lot. I already test-swapped all of the screws in both legs and that has seemingly fixed Burden's right leg, which the lower two screw posts broke, but I still have some minor work to do on the left leg before I put it back together. But yeah, the screws worked on the left leg too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Arkine

Arkine Throws the boxes away.

I'm satisfied with Constructor for now, but he's currently a statue that I won't touch. I thought I was done with this character so I'm kind of miffed that mine is at risk crumbling just while standing there.

19. mantisfists

mantisfists Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What sized screws did you use?

20. Blingotron

• Like Like x 2