Toyworld Constructor (Devastator/Constructicons)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Probably going to resell 5 of the 6 as individual figures as Allocator is damaged.

2. MV Steve

MV Steve Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A toy store near me has individual allocator and burden new in their boxes if you are in need of the one. If you were even contemplating keeping it if you could fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. I'll more likely just list my Allocator for sale as damaged at a lower price than the others if somebody else wants to try fixing him. No need for me to fix him since I have the green one now.

4. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

Please let me know how the screws, work out, @Blingotron. I was inspecting the newly-arrived orange Constructor, and while Burden's legs seem completely fine, the two halves of the combiner pants had a big gap between the front crotch-plate and the rear butt-plate. I tried to take out the screws, press the pieces closer together, and screw them back in, but literally nothing happened. I took the crotch apart entirely; there are 6 rods that go from one half of the crotch to the other - two long ones on the bottom, two long ones in the middle on top, two short ones on top on the left and right ends - and the screws go into the ends of those rods. Four out of four rods along the top had their ends completely crumbled off. People make fun of XTB's Drag Strip's shoulders for being made of crumbly cheese, but buddy, those shoulder have nothing on these four rods. I managed to mostly put three of them together with plastic cement (4th one was just too many crumbs, I couldn't even find everything to reassemble), but if I put the screws through those pieces they'll probably just break again. I need screws that are at least twice as long, I figure.

What's worse is that the two halves of the crotch actually refuse to press together close enough to leave no gap. There's something about the waist-swivel musrhoom peg from the abdomen section that goes into the crotch that is preventing it from closing tightly, and preventing the waist swivel from waist swiveling. At first I thought the hole had too small a diameter, and sanded it a little bit to increase it, but that had no change whatsoever. I gave up trying to fix it because it was late at night, but I don't have any bright ideas on it anyway. It looks like the mushroom peg itself is not perfectly flat, the two halves of it form like a 178-degree angle rather than a 180 one, so maybe the outer edges of it end up being lifted a little and so it doesn't spin freely in the groove for it.

I think it's just hilarious that ToyWorld's garbage QC and garbage choice of plastic made it so the pants - the most notable thing about this combiner, the thing that first set it apart, the thing that set a new standard for combiners - had two separate, different breaks in them that hinder regular use.

5. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Even though fixing the screws is an absolute must, before that you have to figure out why that wont close up perfectly. My waist also was showing a gap out of the box but only a little on the right side, not enough to make me tear into it, but I did press it together and tried to slowly tighten the screw, it just spun! Everywhere else is closed up seamlessly so you gotta find out why that's going on otherwise you'd more than likely crumble more of those posts trying to put longer screws in and them forcing against the resistance of the waist halves.

If you go back a few pages you can read more about all the screw crap but my theory is the plastic is a little too hard for regular coarse threaded screws (which is what are used) to be screwed in during assembly and have them nicely cut their own threads. Instead while these short screws are cutting the little bit that they can, they are creating more of a wedge effect putting pressure from inside out of the posts cracking and/or crumbling them. Since the damage is already done on so many of the constructors all you can do is fix them as they finish breaking and come apart on their new owners. I think the right way to fix this is glue the post back together and use longer self tapping type screws or use a tap first then put regular/longer screws in. This will prevent further cracking and also stop the parts you just glued from cracking again, mostly. Results will vary from how badly damaged the post was to begin with, how and what glue used to put it back together, this is the way!

• Like Like x 1
  6. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quick question...

I've had the Perfect version for a while, but just recently swapped out the thighs for the green set (found one, finally!).

I rarely handled him previously, so can't recall, but do the rear parts of the thighs always move? They feel loose, even when screwed in fully (and they aren't broken). Were my old set like that and I didn't notice? Does the paint job keep them solid, and the green ones just wobble?

I'd appreciate Perfect edition, original, v2, and other owners impressions. Hell, yellow and orange guys too, if there's a difference or they're the same.

It's just an odd thing that the fronts feel solid and the backs feel like they're hanging by a thread :confused: 

7. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Mine now wobble after stripping the paint. It's not much but like yourself when I was putting them back on, i touched them a few times and kept asking myself, "did i forget to tighten that?" But nope! You could take them back off and put a thin partial wrap of clear tape where they sit and it should take up the slack. btw the fronts are solid because they slide through multiple rings/sleeves per post to achieve the moving they go through and they tend to keep their own tension on the posts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheers, I did wonder! As he's basically a statue I'm not overly concerned, but if it had been unusual I'd be worried I'd missed something obvious and was stressing something that would inevitably disintegrate.

You put my mind at rest, so thanks for that :) 

9. Arkine

Arkine Throws the boxes away.

I thought the Devastator slot was filled but the QC is opening up space for a new Devy. Lets see if anybody takes up the challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blingotron

Blingotron Well-Known Member

That's where i'm at. I know i'll be able to fix Burden's legs but at this point someone else needs to make Devastator. Toyworld is just too unreliable and refuses to help people. I've said it before but they are an active company making current products and there is absolutely no excuse for them not to offer replacement parts for their older stuff. Especially since they have to know their shit breaks regularly in the same spots. Personally, I have sworn off all Toyworld bots after all this. Screw em.

The screws work well since they are almost 2x the length of the original screws and they can now get down into the more reinforced area of the screw post and that helps a lot. I already test-swapped all of the screws in both legs and that has seemingly fixed Burden's right leg, which the lower two screw posts broke, but I still have some minor work to do on the left leg before I put it back together. But yeah, the screws worked on the left leg too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Arkine

Arkine Throws the boxes away.

I'm satisfied with Constructor for now, but he's currently a statue that I won't touch. I thought I was done with this character so I'm kind of miffed that mine is at risk crumbling just while standing there.

12. mantisfists

mantisfists Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What sized screws did you use?

13. Blingotron

• Like Like x 2
  14. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I dont understand why some of these legends companies dont decide to little by little upscale their designs to MP while cleaning up some of the details to achieve the quality? Their designs on a lot of bots are amazing! Especially Devastator, since going for exact toon accuracy is what most people want lately, one doesn't even exist and say Magic Square were to upscale theirs, they could make a ton from it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    My guess would be the increased stability issues which come with increased size and weight.
    Has anything really been successfully upsized from legends? I want to say that new TF element Starscream is based on a NEWAGE legend but I’m not really sure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Nothing directly upscaled. Weight and stability would have to be addressed by choosing the appropriate hinges and joints to accommodate. So far the closest thing is Magic Squares Light of Freedom and it's a great figure! If they would take that approach it would be easy to transform (no pun intended) their designs into MP caliber figures.

Is that new Starscream actually Transform Element? I've just seen people speculating that the look of it is similar to TFEs design type. I dont know how that conclusion can be made because TFEs figures all look very different from each other and from this new Starscream that I can't see any design or style resemblance. As much as I can't see any common details with that, I can't see any similarities between Newages Seekers and the Deformation Space Starscream that would indicate they have anything to do with each other. There are way more differences than similarities for me to think any of these things can be related imo.

17. Blingotron

I was told by Octobotimus that Deformation Space is a part of group of the same company. He said "Infinite Transformation, Legendary Toys, Transform Element, and Black Mamba/Ayoi Mech/Mechanical Alliance/Zeus Toys are all the same company". I was kind of shocked how many companies were part of that group. I don't know about any Newage Seeker similarities in their Starscream but they for sure aped the overall aesthetic of MP-52.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    I’m completely spit-balling here but I often wonder whether or not ‘same company’ means same designer(s), same funding sources, same executives, all of the above or only one of the above. Does that make sense?

So, even if you and I were wealthy investors who would routinely sink $15,000 into a startup project to make, say, Transform Element Prime, when we then moved onto fund Black Mamba’s Dragoon KO, if we are the only common denominator or if we bring most or all of our crew from TE with us.

I’m sure that there’s some changeover, but I often wonder if all of these pieces have ‘different’ manufacturers because a design/engineering team just bounces from investor to investor for funding and each of them wants to put their own stamp on every project.

Hence why we have so many subsets of similar lines.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well, holy crap! I had no idea all those companies are part of the same group! I guess the question is how much influence do they have on each other? It is kinda weird how these 3rd party companies work. I agree, they did go for the MP-52 look and it kinda makes sense now. Afterall Transform Element did the same thing with TE-01 to MP-44 so why not keep it going with 52! The only strange part is if it were mainly being made by TE then why the new brand name?

So many people seem to see a hinge flip or a particular tab and immediately started in with Newage is upscaling their seeker. Similarities like that can be seen across the range of any particular figure but it doesn't mean they are all related is what I said to that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    “Deformation space” is just a bad translation of transformation element. We’ve all seen “deform” in the place of “transform” before.

It’s more complicated than that. As an extreme example I’d reference feral Rex or any of the large combiners. You get so many moving parts and problems with all the joints and stable positions, arms being heavy, etc, when have absolutely none of that at legends scale because everything is featherweight. It’s not impossible, just not as easy at it sounds.
    but to your point, it baffles me at how legends can make more accurate faces smaller than my pinky nail when MP can’t get them right at that large a scale :/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021