Toys you changed your mind about once you got them in hand

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Aug 9, 2015.

1. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good to bad: CW voyager Optimus. I was excited to have a new Optimus, and one that could combine at that! In hand, I found that the head was too small, the chest stuck way too far out in combined mode, opened OR closed), and the legs were either crossed or bow-legged in combined mode making him fall over either way. Huge disappointment, and I just got rid of him.

2. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sorry to hear! Definitely sounds like a lemon.

3. species5618w

species5618w Active Member

Good to bad. Every transformer toy, especially later in the year when I realize how much I had spent. :) 

Seriously though. MP1 was the big disappointment for me. I paid too much for the "knock off" version (the one without the chromes). But even discount that, I am not sure the mold really worked. It's just too heavy to put into dynamic poses. I preferred the Classic version much more.

Bad to ok, Energon Fatimus Prime. The combined mode is actually not too bad.

4. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away

Bad to good: G1 Action Masters
    I had already reached my "too old for toys" phase when AMs were on the pegs, and like most people, I was of the opinion that Transformers who can't transform is one of the stupidest ideas I ever heard. I held this opinion until I bought an AM Soundwave for the hell of it around 2000 or so. I loved it almost immediately and now the only AM I'm missing is Gutcruncher. They don't transform, but they're fun little figures and have a certain charm.

Good to bad: MP5
    Was awesome when it came out, but unlike MP1 it really shows its age. Floppy, spindly, fiddley transformation, and Cosmic Rust.

Good to bad: RTS Jazz
    Looks great in both modes, but the fact that they didn't even attempt to have the hood lock into place in bot mode just rubbed me the wrong way.

Neutral to good: MP Sideswipe
    He was basically a why-the-hell-not throw-in when I bought MP Wheeljack from a board member. He looked good but I wasn't expecting anything special. Turns out he's more fun to handle than any other MP I own, including Wheeljack :) 

Bad to good: Animated line
    Like most everybody, the original designs really turned me off. But the engineering on the toys is amazing and they just drip with personality, unlike the similarly styled NuRID.

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Good to Bad: RoTF Jetfire. The Blackbird is the coolest plane that may ever exist, but getting him back into Blackbird mode is next to impossible.

6. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Good to meh: WFC Bumblebee - loved the bot and alt mode at first, but the legs get longer the more you look at it, and transforming back into alt mode can become a sweaty rage. Also, the mould works far better as Cliffjumper.

7. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Bad to good: Leader Class Jetfire. I was just saying in another thread how I wasn't impressed by this figure's looks and wasn't going to buy him until HTS had a clearance sale on ebay with him half price including free shipping, and he turned out way better than I expected.

Meh to bad: (you might see this one coming) Classics Jetfire. I've never really loved this figure, its proportions are weird almost to the point of chibi, and its transformation is incredibly lazy. But once I got the Thrilling 30th figure it utterly ruined that 2006 Jetfire.

8. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    This is the main reason why I'm hesitating getting these two NuRiD figures, and any NuRiD figures at all.

Meh to Awesome - MP Wheeljack (and MP's in general)
    I already had the US MP-01 as well as a few other Hasbro MP items that I had never bothered to open up, and I was largely sleeping on import MP's due to their high prices. Saw a few pics of Wheeljack, was intrigued, got him at BotCon this year for $60 and now I'm hooked on MP's. I really love his complicated yet intuitive transformation that I can do even without the instructions. As a result I've already ordered MP-10, MP-12 and MP-21G and have MP-18B and MP-25 on preorder. Still contemplating MP-18S and MP-12G. I love a black Sideswipe and the original G2 Sideswipe is what got me into G2 figures back in the 90's.

Hopefully my budget can execute my excitement!

9. Shogen

Shogen Wreck and Rule

Seems like you don't like anything.

10. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Never saw what hit 'em!

Meh to awesome : CW Devastator

it has been said a hundred times already, but that guy is so much better and imposing in person than on photos or reviews.

11. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

Meh to great: CW Superion, Menasor, & Defensor. I'm MP and 3P MP-scale only. I got a few CW bots in an ebay lot and thought they were a ton of fun. I completed each combiner and I've given all of them to my son and nephew. I'm VERY surprised how much I enjoyed messing with them. The transformations are simple and fun, and I love you everything is interchangeable in gestalt mode. Great line and I'll probably buy the rest.

CW Devy is coming my way too. He will be a keeper for my MP shelf though.

12. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did not know MP 5 was made in 12 days? why such a tight timeline?

13. Driskull98

Driskull98 Love that Driskullhausen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Bad to Good: Gen. Leader Megatron After seeing the initial BotCon photos and the ugly red shoulder-bars, I was totally dead-set on grabbing Apollyon instead. After reading about his problems, I decided to save a little bit of money and just get the leader. I made a good decision, he's a seriously awesome toy. Could use a little more ratchets in the thighs and arms, but those are minor nitpicks.

Good to Bad to Good: Gen. Leader Jetfire I saw him in TRU back when he was just coming out and I couldn't believe it. My TRU never stocks any of the new stuff until at least three months later. I picked him up and enjoyed him quite a bit. Over time, I began to realize that he's seriously flawed as a Leader figure and began to question whether or not I should sell him and spring for the Classics voyager. Eventually, I messed around with him a little more and realized that he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Good to Bad: Gen. Roadbuster Initial pictures looked great, horribly disappointed with the result. He can't even rotate one of his arms without it popping off. If it wasn't an Xmas gift, I would return it immediately and get the FP one.

Good to Godawful: Gen. Nightbeat This is, without a doubt, the absolute worst Generations figure I have ever purchased. Looks like absolute trash in both modes, the bot mode doesn't hold together, floppy knee joints, chipping paint, bad articulation, man, the list just goes on. I think it would've fared much better as a Jazz repaint. Hope this guy gets another shot as a Headmaster next year in Titan Wars.

Good to Meh: Generations Bombshell Others were praising him as being the best of the first wave of Legends. I found a single one at Target (the only CW thing there) and picked him up. He's not bad per se, but he certainly isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be.

Bad to Good: Generations Windcharger Everyone hated this figure when it was first revealed, but after I found him on clearance at Walmart, I decided it would be easier to get him then to go hunting for the RtS version. He's a neat little figure and I'm happy with my purchase.

14. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I forgot why but it's true.

15. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

Kind of surprised to see all the Roadbuster disappointment. I like the figure and did from when I opened it. It has a couple QC issues with some joints, but that's extremely common and fairly simple to remedy.

From bad to good, I'd have to say AoE Crosshairs. The AoE line in general I was unimpressed by when I first saw them, but I ended up getting a good number of them and loving them. Crosshairs is a perfect example. Seeing the stock photos, I thought he looked absolutely terrible. But having picked up and loved the others, and finding him cheap, I picked him up and found the bot mode quite serviceable. I wouldn't say he's awesome, but he's certainly a heck of a lot better than my initial opinion.

One of these days, Hasbro really needs to improve their stock photography. So many times their pictures just make otherwise good products look bad.

As far as the disappointments, I can't seem to think of any without physically going back through them. I think I generally do a good job of keeping my expectations reasonable and getting a since for a figure before I buy it, so I'm not too disappointment. I guess TF:p rime Airachnid comes to mind; although I knew she'd be lacking, I got her on a whim anyway. I wanted so much to see the good in her and let myself hope something would shine once I had her in hand.

Alas, nothing did. A true lemon.

16. Driskull98

Driskull98 Love that Driskullhausen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Oh believe me, I tried to fix him. I sanded down his shoulder pegs for ages. Now one works fine while the other is stiff as a board and pops out whenever I try to move it.

As a figure, it looks good, but plays terribly. They overloaded it with unnecessary ratchet joints and the legs are just terrible. Not to mention it came with far too many weapons, which is something I'd never thought I would ever complain about. The missile launcher's joint is so floppy and the trigger is extremely sensitive. Every other weapon is good, minus the tiny pistols that are there for no reason.

17. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

I have the TF Legends version of Roadbuster and man does he look bland in hand without all those stickers that came with the Hasbro one. And man is the transformation simple; legends class level IMO. He almost feels like he is upscaled from at least a deluxe class toy. He looks great in my shelf, but only from afar; the illusion fades when in hand... a hollow mess. His mold mate Tankor, a deluxe, feels more solid, has more sculpted detail and has a heck of a lot more paint apps. The third toy in the wave, Whirl, falls somewhere in between, quality wise; nice but no surprises. From "all right" to "all right".

18. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Roadbuster is one that I'm glad I picked up on sale. I'm glad I got him to complete the Voyager Class Wreckers they put out, but he's not great. In that same vein, one of my first figures I picked up when I started collecting was Generations Springer, and he went from just a cool looking bot to one of my favorites.

19. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, technically he was actually designed in one night; the twelve days was the deadline. :D 

You can read more about it here:
    TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Hisashi Yuki on Masterpiece - Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM

It's an interesting story. Like I say, I'm not as down on MP-5 as many people (I still own him, after all!), but he's still disappointing overall, IMO. Impressive considering the timescale, but simple fact is that TT shouldn't have put the designer in that position.

20. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Sixo, I hate to be "that guy," but Yuki was referring to MP-4's trailer as the thing he had to do overnight. Still an amazing feat, though. Sounds like he had to do Megatron in 12 days and Prime's trailer in one night all at about the same time. Poor guy! He said the release date was already set through "backwards calculation" - not sure what he means but still sounds like someone in management screwed the pooch. No doubt Yuki did an amazing job all things considered - says he didn't even know how big Megatron was supposed to be when designing it! Had to be tough to gauge tolerances working like that with no time to think about it. Looking at his designs in the Guidebook, too, nothing about it looks rushed or slapped together. And after Star Saber, I'd welcome him back to the line anytime :)  Now get on that God Ginrai, Yuki!