Toys that could pass as other universe styles

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Warpshard, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

This is kind of hard to understand, so I'll simplify it. What toys do you think could pass as another character. For example: Could FOC Shockwave pass as Classics Shockwave? Anyways, my actual opinion. Could Dreadwing & Skyquake pass as movie versions of themselves?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I put FOC Shockwave into my classics, and even then I didn't like it much until I swapped his legs for Cyclonus', popped off the wings, gave him a G1 cannon, and put on reprolabels.

I have a hard time finding toys that actually fit from other lines because 95% of the time it just...doesn't work for me and when people say it fits the aesthetic I don't see it at all. I don't think the Dreadwing mold fits as a movie toy because it doesn't have enough molded detail and/or unique proportions.

3. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I could never fit something that's not from one universe into another, for the above reason, each kind (Excepting RiD) has a completely different aesthetic between bots.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

FoC and G1 are pretty interchangeable, you must admit.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

The only ones I don't mix with anything else are Animated and Prime. Their aesthetics are very, very distinct, to the point where shoehorning them in to fill holes is kind of ridiculous.

(coughARCEEcough)

There are plenty of differences among lines, but when you look at the whole of G1 (as far as the toys go), you can see where all of it could fit together, even the over-greebled Movieverse stuff. Just look at late-release Pretenders and their robot modes.

Having said that, Unicron Trilogy molds fit pretty damn well with CHUG-style molds.

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I kind of have Generations Warpath as TFP Warpath. I also have RTS Lugnut as TFP Lugnut too.

7. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

I kinda don't have an issue with certain lines with various design styles working as characters from other universes. One of the cool things of the old G1 days was that you could always tell a pre-movie guy from a post movie guy, but that was okay, because you had no problem accepting that someone like Kup, who's very streamlined and contoured, was the same age and same universe as the blocky and hard-angled Ironhide... Even before Ironhide got his Earth mode. I've always liked the idea of a smelting pot Cybertron, where walking into Maccadam's you'll likely see someone who looks like he's from the Bayverse, sitting with a Beast Era styled character, while an Animated dude runs the bar.

There's certain characters I insist a certain look for, just due to nostalgia reasons, but I got no real problem having Prime Arcee and Ratchet on the same shelf as Classic Prowl, Movieverse Brawn and RiD Sideburn.

8. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

-FOC Shockwave and WFC Soundwave suffice as my Classics 'Waves. They're...well, classic looking.

-TFP Wheeljack makes a better Classics Wheeljack than the actual Classics Wheeljack. Just swap out the weapons/tools, and there you go.

-Granted, they're Movieverse figures, but the HFTD Deluxe Ironhide and DOTM Deluxe Ratchet feel like Classics figs to me, like if they started making Classics figures of the Movieverse characters. They have that look and feel to them.

9. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I've retooled my collection to focus on the Classicsverse. The way I see it, the original Classics line came right after Cybertron and borrowed a great deal from that line. I place several Cybertron and Energon molds into my Classicsverse as they seem to fit well. I also consider FOC to be in the Classicsverse. If you look back at G1 there were several differing styles in the 84 and 85 lines. Microchange and Diaclone don't really fit together perfectly, especially in scale terms. However, the work as a whole. I take the same approach to my Classicsverse collection.

That's the great thing about collecting. It is your collection. If you think it fits then it fits!!!

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I have movie Lockdown as Universe Lockdown because he appeared in the Drift comic. Animated Arcee and Swindle, I see are close to their G1 counterparts, too because animated was made around the 25th anniversary of Transformers.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've got WFC Soundwave and FOC Shockwave in my classics collection. Shockwave has that design in the current RID comic, so I'm okay with it.

I've also got HFTD Seaspray in classics since he fits the aesthetic decently (better than the actual classics Powerglide does, that's for damn sure), and ROTF Bludgeon in classics as well, since nothing about the toy looks "movie" to me, and I'm okay with Bludgeon, the skeleton samurai, having a skeletal design.

HFTD Banzaitron is in there too, because why the hell not. Won't ever have the botcon one, so I'll settle.

ROTF Lockdown is in classics because of the Drift comic.

I have Universe "battle in a box" Ultra Magnus and Treadshot in with the Armada line, since they're Armada molds... not like they'll fit anywhere else.

FOC Voyager Soundwave might replace the WFC deluxe Soundwave on my classics shelf (unsure because I do not like the idea of a gigantic Soundwave) but his Rumble and Frenzy won't be replacing United Rumble and Frenzy up there. No way. Universe 2.0's Ravage is probably pretty damn safe up there too.

12. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    I use Animated Activater Grimlock with my Prime Cyberverse collection. Fits in real nice.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Started to dip into mixing with my Legends collection, but I don't mix/repurpose into my Classics. Now if a mold is repainted into another line, then I put it in the parent mold's line. An example would be Ruination, all three versions, are sitting on my G1 shelf. Apply that sort of logic to my entire collection, except that there aren't enough original molds for Robot Masters and RID to make separate collections, so they are combined on a hodgepodge shelf.

14. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    With the exception of TF Animated, any toys can be used as Universe toys at this point.

15. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FE Prime Arcee actually works really well as a Classics Arcee, especially if you've got the NYCC pink and white version. It's a sleek alt-mode that matches many of the other new altmodes, but is actually rather blocky (in a good way) in robot mode and fits well there. She could use a new head, though, but that's my only complaint there.

Apart from that, Thundertron could fit into Classics easily enough, as can PRID Bulkhead. In fact, unless we get an official Classics Bulkhead, I'm sticking with my PRID one, as he only needed a bit of black paint on his trim to get a true Classics look (painted the fenders and the window trim black, as well as the chevrons on his forearms). FE Cliffjumper actually fits really well once he's got the G1-styled head on him; it's a lot better in person, IMO. And as others have said, the Unicron Trilogy aesthetic (and the original RID, for that matter) fit into Classics nearly perfectly, as it wasn't until Animated that there was any significant departure from the "classic" styling.

Finally, I was personally a big fan of the IDW ongoing styling, and so I've got a few of the more "traditional" movie figures in my classics display.

16. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I stick all my lines together because I like it. TFP next to movie, next to TFA, throw in some CHUG, a bit of RiD, G1 sprinkles. I do not care. I also get a mild kick knowing that some nerd out there would go nuts if they saw my shelf.

However, movie-verse Ice Cream Twins look fine among TFA. RTS Lugnut works for movie-verse and for CHUG (unsurprisingly). I'd imagine certain Dinobots and the original Insecticons could sit on a CHUG shelf, too.

17. soundwave144

soundwave144 #1 Best, good friend of Soundwave on the planet.

News Credits:
    i put whoever whereever because in my entire collection, ive only got a few areas where style matters. one shelf is animal/predacons, one for soundwaves, megs has his own, as does prime. one is for tfp, and the rest is literally random autobots or decepticons according to size or vehicle type

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Generally, I tend to refer to my Classics lineups as "Neo-G1", since the majority of them are based on G1 stuff but also have new things mixed in to my liking. Namely, a good few of the movie figures such as Breacher and Bludgeon, who are very suited to Classics in my opinion, make their homes in their respective faction lineups. I also include the PCC's as Classics, as their general aesthetic blends in so well with the typical Classics style, and it gives me a cheap but very good Huffer (as opposed to the old Botcon repaint of Armorhide or the hideously expensive Mini-warrior which I don't even care for all that much).

I do also use WFC Soundwave as a Classics Soundwave, since he's close enough to the original in appearance and the Voyager is going to be too big (which, amusingly, I will be aiming for the FOC Blaster retool of the Voyager because Blaster is somewhat bigger, and it's better than the Universe 2.0 version which desperately needed a head retool).

19. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    I disagree with the Wheljack versions because i still subscribe to the older Engineer and not Warrior Wheeljack, But I do love the Prime versions transformation. I have been looking to put that in my classics collection somehow, maybe as a different character. But i do believe the Prime figures fit in well with classics. I use FE cliffjumper (headswapped) as classics windcharger.

I think you should show a pic of this, 1 I want to see it and 2 I want to see the nerdrage! LOL!

20. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironhide's a stand-in for Trailbreaker with my CHUG 'Bots until something better comes along.

GDO Cliffjumper fits in there too, along with G1 Slag, Omega Supreme, Masterpiece Grimlock, ROTF Hoist; Device Label Blaster.

-