Toys R US Weighs closing 100 US Stores

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by MetalicGrunt, Dec 18, 2017.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Target/Walmart using toys as a loss leader means they're actually pricing below MSRP. TRU has been at or above MSRP, so they have higher prices. The MSRP for deluxes has been $16.99 for at least a year now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think two of the stores here will close and the third remain open.

3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

My local TRU is a stand alone, with no Baby R Us. I'm sure it will close ... it just looks ratty.

There is a nicer one the next town down, which is in the same complex as a Target.

4. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    They are reporting on the BBC tonight that TRU are less than a week away from shutting up for good as they've been unable to secure pensions guarantees that satisfy UK Bail-Out Schemes and provide what is in effect bankruptcy protection for their pension-scheme members. They have been presented with a demand for three years worth of contributions up-front to get the restructuring package approved. A sum of £800 is being mentioned in the reporting.

What is NOT clear is whether this is TRU Globally or just restricted to the UK £9m would seem to be a massive amount to have to front if it just related the the UK/European arm of the company. There may be some better in depth reporting in our Financial Press tomorrow to clarify it, but from this one report it sounds like TRU is in the deepest doo-doo pit without a rope.

I would miss them, and the Toy-run getting much smaller.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Soooo...you were rooting against Clark Griswold's bonus check during Christmas Vacation?

Seriously, executives work hard for their money and rely on bonuses as part of their income as anyone else does. And as someone else said, that money isn't going to make a dent in keeping open any stores. If stores are losing money, no bonuses are going to make them suddenly successful.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That story is regarding the UK arm of TRU. If the gov't rejects Administration (UK version of Ch. 11 bankruptcy protection) due to the pension payments, TRU UK will be forced to simply close everything, and fire all employees.

7. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Hopefully they won't close ours.

8. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overpriced goods. No customer service on the floor. The only checkout is the service desk, which means waiting in a long line of sales and returns just to get the privilege of buying something there. Good riddance.

9. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Well-Known Member

Same here. Toys R Us was dirty, the aisles were never fully stocked, the employees would not give a shit about prompt service in person or on the phone, and the selection was just not there due to back of house insider dealings. Fuck toysrus, burn the fucker down.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Funny that despite all this talk of closing, a TRU just opened in the city over. It's big, nice, well stocked and generally feels about as far from a store attached to bankruptcy as can be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FlourscentMilk

FlourscentMilk Not Flour-Scent-Milk

I only just got a job at TRU, this has me worried

• Like Like x 1
  12. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

And nobody should need to play games or jump through hoops that's why they are on their way out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Use my third party

Bought Trypticon online with the pickup in store option. Go back a few weeks later to price match and they can't do anything cuz I don't have the paper receipt. I bought it online I said. I have my electronic receipt I said. No luck. The manager even told me their systems are ancient and total crap.

Meanwhile, I didn't, but I could bring that Trypticon which I bought through TRU and get a price match/refund at Walmart cuz they don't even require a receipt. They'll give you store credit if you don't have a receipt. That would be unethical since I didn't buy it at Walmart but certainly I'll buy there before TRU any day of the week since that experience.

Just to say how TRU hasn't kept up with the market and I'm not surprised they're in trouble.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    New stores always look great. Then reality wears them down like it does everybody else.

Are you writing a sitcom for NBC? Because you should.

It's less that they're "ancient" (they're not) and more that they were outsourced to a 3rd world country. I have to do QC for such duhvelopers and we would frankly be better off paying my dogs to program.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won't say "Good riddance" but everything else listed are very valid points.
    Not sure where the disconnect is, I've returned a number of items to TRU that I ordered online - of course, I did have the paper invoice, so maybe that is the issue.

And as an FYI: While you could possibly do a return (I didn't think Walmart was even carrying Trypticon) without a receipt, Walmart no longer does price matching with anyone other than their own online presence.

16. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    I have 2 of them here

17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Need here is subjective, if you want it cheaper than what they sell it for you need to jump through hoops, if you just want to buy it you don’t need to do anything extra. Toysrus has always been priced higher than other stores

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welp, they were the only store that wanted certain exclusives and I'll miss going to toys r us.

Realistically though, they weren't anywhere near as big as they were when I was a kid. I remember a big restructuring in the late 90's with smaller toy sections. I'm doubtful they ever became the gamer haven they tried to be.

Doesn't help that Hasbro distro and wave packs sometimes suck.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Judging by how everything flew in and out of stock online the last half of the year, I would've expected TRU to have announced _good_ news. The local stores are...well...the local stores so expectations weren't particularly high to start with.

And it's really not helping that collectors are, enmasse, playing a game of chicken against toy retailers. Congratulations, TRU blinked. Enjoy Walmart's every day low stock.

Hasbro really needs to put out fewer better toys or at least segregate them into assortment tiers so the losers don't kill the winners.

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'll go out on a limb to support TRU. BOTH of my stores, in my years and years of buying toys, since, really, 2007 or so have always been very helpful to me. While they have never always been immediate on new product I could've always trust them to have a lot of the product I'm looking for. I get that their prices are more than everyone else, but it isn't too much for me that I won't stop in to see if the have just what I am looking for. If any one of my two stores closes, I'll be sad.

Let me be positive and recount a story that made me glad I'm a customer. In 2013 I was on the hunt for an MP Soundwave. I've been hitting up both of the TRUs for a week now looking for one. So I had just left one of the TRUs and I was about 20 minutes from it when I had to go back home to take my brother to work. Well, I get a call from a local who had JUST left that TRU that there was two Soundwaves left over there. I asked him if he could help me get one, but he had already left the store. So I gave the store a call. A long shot, but I had asked if they could just hold one for me for about an hour. The associate I had on the phone was kind enough to talk to the store manager, and he said he'd hold it for an hour and then he'll have to put the two on the floor.

So I got my brother to work and I raced to TRU. Went there and I asked about a hold for a Soundwave and the manager actually came to deliver it. I thanked him a ton and he recognized me from all the times I've been in the store and was nice enough to greet him. He told me that the store normally doesn't do stuff like this but he bent the rules this time and I came out a happy customer. I'll always cherish TRU for those little memories big and small. Toy hunting is exciting, even if it's something like getting toys and it would've never been the same had it not been for TRU. Even recently I was able to score a Trypticon during the summer, and just a few days ago TRU was the only place with more than one case of POTP deluxes open, while Targets only had one case and none of the stores has restocked anything when it came to deluxes or anything else POTP related.

I hope my two stores survive any round of closings. It'll be sad to see them go. I'll miss 'em at least.

• Like Like x 2