Toys R US Exclusive Grimlock Review with Photos

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rhodium1977, Jul 29, 2010.

1. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    MOAR PICS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Getting Grimlock out of the box is a bigger puzzle than transformation, LOL.

Transformed back and forth, love both modes but simply cannot beat the gimmicks in Dino mode, great fun.

[​IMG]

3. rhodium1977

rhodium1977 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe you should chance it to exchange it as I did not have the same situation as you guys. It is a little top heavy from the waist as I described but you can still pose.

4. rhodium1977

rhodium1977 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Yay...I know. From my camera they were vertical but for some reason when it was uploaded it went horizontal for some of them. By that time there was no going back and plus if you think about it, you get to stretch out your right neck shoulder muscle. You can't say you do that all the time right!

5. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine has super-tight knees too...

But he's still quite awesome. The transformation really takes me back...

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just experienced the joy of TFing Grimlock for the first time. Really glad I held out for the Hasbro version. I like to keep his eyes blue until he goes into red raaaaaaaaaaaaaaage mode.

9. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    The bot mode of this guy is... well... a masterpiece! I literally gasped when I first TF'ed him. He looked great in pics but up close and personal. This is definately there with MP Prime as not just the best masterpiece but on of the best TF toys ever, period.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Just opened my Hasbro one today. Robo-legs are much looser on mine than the Takara version. Love the crown and the additional paint apps are nice. Nice to see that they kept the running change on the screws where the tail tucks in in bot mode so it does not get scratched. Now I just need to dig out the apron, bow-tie, etc from my takara box and set up the display.

11. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome, the combination of 'toon dino mode and a really nice superhuman looking robo mode is well realised, interesting that the original transformation scheme has been maintained and works so well, classics grimlock utilising a different scheme utterly fails, a new idea is commendable but ultimately those dino head feel just dont work, the figure is a horrid hotchpotch, MP designer/s got it right.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Is that MP04 Prime? I've got that figure as well and it's super awesome. Now I know how tall Grimmy should be. Great pictures! Nice background!

13. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

It's Hasbro's 2-th anniversary masterpiece optimus prime. It's pretty much MP-04 except different window tint (smokey grey rather than blue), shorter smokestack, black with blue gun, and "battle damage"

The Hasbro Masterpiece gang:
    [​IMG]

Read my Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock on my blog

14. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Opened my 2 Grimlocks (was going to open just one...). Hip joints are a bit loose, causing the figure spreading the legs too easily (fixable). Knees ratchets are too tight (fixable). Scratches on chrome parts, accessories & visor (not fixable). One hip joint has broken parts that glued back together from factory (that Grimmy is going back for a refund). Inconsistent tightness on joints, as they are quite different on each figure. QC on the Hasbro version is a bit iffy, and so glad I managed to get 2 (with 1 as backup).

Overall, a decently nice figure, interesting structure design on the legs. but I am glad I didn't pay premium price on this one, and waited for the cheaper version. Its a good buy for $70, but not sure about $130...

15. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I got mine today and just opened him up, he is being awesome his robot mode is so G1. He knees are tight but still easy to bend. He is my second favorite Mp 1st being Mp-1 convoy. I am so glad that I bought him I.

16. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Just picked mine up from TRU in Woodbridge, NJ.

Nice figure. 3rd favorite MP... Sorry Megs, your last...

Excellent mold details. I love all the rivets. Makes me think about the old TV show. When Wheeljack and Ratchet built the Dinobots... Nice job!

The hips could be tighter. But I honestly think it's also the weight of the figure with all the die cast metal... Shoulders, claws and hips are all kinda heavy...

For the money (over 70 bucks) I kinda think this fig could use a few more paint apps. I mean, look at all the amazing details molded into this fig (and most TFs now a days).

I like the dark grey on the face, dino feet and bot feet. I would have liked more in the little details of the arms and legs... And the gold on his lower back is kinda green? I know Hasbro was trying to match the gold chrome, but mine looks alittle off...

The instructions dont mention the autobot symbol on his chest either.

I noticed the chest was a little wobbley and the hips didnt quite peg together very snug. So I took a look inside the chest and I discovered a wide peg. So I pushed the whole chest up then down at an angle. And it pushed the symbol up. It is a better fit, too. Not as wobbley...

I also noticed my right metal sholder needs to be tightened. If I can fit a screwdriver in there, I'll tighten up the piece and make it more flush with the gold chrome chest piece...

The gold chrome is really over powering. Very nice! And I keep the red chrome visor in bot mode... I know he's an autobot.

But he's super bad...

8 out of 10

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The Autobot logo on mine's chest popped up the first time and has never gone away. Is there a way to hide it again?

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got mine the other day. Only got to fiddle with him for a bit last night. Overall I like it. Transforms like the original but with a little bit more to it. I am sad it did not include his Takara accessories. I wanted the little bow tie, apron, and serving tray. That stuff is hilarious. I need to play with him more and discover more of his little things.

19. microclone

News Credits:
    it should pop out when TF'd back to dino mode.

20. microclone

News Credits:
    once the autobot symbol is activated i think that signifies the chest is popped into right place, sure its a bit wobbly but thats due to the silly gimmicks, whcih id rather not have but can live with!