Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not without paying the debt.

2. CoktimusPrime

CoktimusPrime I see you ;)

I'm not too worried about a refund. TRU are good in that regard when cancelling orders. It would be a hassle & extra cost to pick up the toy from another retailer at late notice. On the plus side, there has been no indication that TRU Oz is going in the way of it's US & UK stores. TRU Oz is actually slowly expanding overall. Time will tell I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    That debt is going away, you’d have to pay it off.

4. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    So then if someone wanted to fill the physical retail void left by ToysRus, the best course of action would be for some company to start their own toy chain?

I really don't want the future to be all online shopping. I like going into stores and finding new things I would never think to search for on a webstore. Heck, some of the more obscure toys I buy in stores they don't even sell on websites or eBay!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ajcrn1025

Ajcrn1025 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or pray for a miracle today.

6. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're quite aware of what's going on. As I said, many of them are downright pissed at what they're calling downright misinformation in the WSJ/CNN story that made the rounds last week.
    Now, I don't expect the store level managers to be privy to any specifics at the corporate level at this point, but I notice the "liquidation is coming next week" story basically evolved from the story that more stores would close, without anything coming from Toys R Us themselves. While this progression is logical, given the info we do know, it feels like this is more an issue of the news making the story, instead of merely telling the story. It doesn't help that "the news" has a recent history of doing this, more interested in being first with a story than being accurate.

7. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Not true. For example:
    In 2001, WWE bought all of WCW's IPs but not the company itself. WCW still exists as UWC(Universal Wrestling Cooperating) under the Time Warner banner. This allowed WWE to utilize all of WCW assests but all of the debt and contracts remained when Time Warner.

A similar situation can be made with Toys R Us if someone is willing to go through that hassle.

• Like Like x 4
  8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Same, I'm not a fan of shopping online, half of the fun of collecting is the hunt.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is, toys aren't that profitable and the overhead of running a physical store is massive.

Sure, with enough capital it might be _possible_ to get a new chain up and running, but from a business investment standpoint, it's not going to be worth it.

I think the best bet for physical toy shopping will be with stores like B&N and GameStop, which sell enough other products with a more steady profit flow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Soon there will be only Walmart.

11. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

As has been stated, that’s not true. The debt belongs to the corporation; the corporation will be selling their assets to pay back as much of their debt as possible, including their own IP, of which the trademarked name is one of. Selling off the IP separately would generate some cash to pay back some if the debt. Of course, that sale would have to be approved by a judge, so if there was a buyer willing to buy the corporation, and assume the debt, the judge wouldn’t permit TRU to sell their brand name separately.

12. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

And to think,,, I was AT Comicon DC asking Aaron Archer directly why Hasbro wasn't considering making a direct web based "company store".

The thought of all retail being Target/Walmart is somehow scarier than "all restaurants are Taco Bell" (Demolition Man).

A future where all producers must grovel and scrape (and,,, bribe?) corporate buyers from Wally to get their three pegs of retail space for 3 months somehow makes the Soviet Union look preferable.

So I'm again going to implore Hasbro:

Let's say I'm not an individual collector, let's say I want to start a collectibles shop, how do I get product from you for retail?

Well at least for now there's the sponsored sites here. I'd rather go to BBTS than Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

I really really hope that doesn't happen. And I don't expect that it will. Target is having troubles, sure, but I think they will pull through.

At the risk of making my snobbery public, I do not like going to Walmart, and generally avoid it when possible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Honestly, my Wal-Marts are on a level of okay & tolerable -to- clean & neatly organized. It really does depend on the location they're in & who shops there.

What makes Wal-Marts unbearable are the huge crowds and people you come across there. Some of our stores don't get overcrowded and are easy to navigate, while others would make you think it was Black Friday, every day.

As for the people, I'm not gonna link to it, because it can sometimes have NFSW stuff, but the old famous "People of Walmart" website shows the kind of scum & villainy I'd rather not encounter on my reluctant visits there.

They should really institute a dress code at Wal-Marts.

• Like Like x 2
  15. hightail

hightail Banned

Facebook:
    when circuit city blew up and did the liquidation in bankruptcy court, an entity of financial investors made a bid for the name and web site.

now they are using it to sell electronics online.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hightail

hightail Banned

Facebook:
    I checked with Hasbro corporate once on getting a wholesale acct, the want a minimum of $5k commitment from you per month and at the minimum level you get no input on what they send (meaning size, legends, deluxe,voyager, etc,)....they would send you every size class from the current line.

17. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now they just direct you to Diamond and Entertainment Earth.

Which wasn't terrible, since you actually get control over what you order. But now you can't even ORDER products until their embargo has been lifted, at which point the products have often already hit the big box stores.

They are choking out the specialty market, and the only reason I can think of is that the big box stores are leaning on them to do it

18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Target isn't going anywhere. There's a sizable percentage of people that don't want to go into a Walmart unless absolutely necessary, for various reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless a buyer is able to buy the IP of Toys R Us, their remaining stock and their retail stores (basically somehow buy everything but the debt), it would take years or more likely decades for a new independent toy store to reach nationwide status. Up to a couple of decades ago, there were no Walmarts or Targets in my section of the country even though the chains had existed for decades at that point. To this day, I've never seen a Fred Myer (or Myers, whichever carries toys) in my life and had never seen a Ross until I had traveled to Oklahoma a few years ago. I had heard about them on boards about people finding stuff there. Still no Ross stores within a few hundred miles of my house.

Unfortunately, with the state of toys today (not even including TRU closing), I doubt anyone will want to spend the $$$ to open a nationwide toy store chain.

People keep mentioning Barnes and Nobles. Unless there are some awesome ones out there, I'd hardly call B&N as a potential toy store. They do seem to get a good amount of LEGO but I never see any Transformers in them. Maybe a few Star Wars figures but hardly the amount needed to be a toy store.

I wouldn't count on Gamestop either. Youtubers seem to think they'll be gone in a few years as well. The most I've seen in Gamestops dedicated to toys is a 20' section of wall & maybe some standees spread throughout the store. And most of that is toys based on video games (well duh, it is a video game store). Not many non-video game based toys. Transformers seem to be just the basic flip changers/3 steps figures.

20. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I hope they don't botch it like WWE did the Invasion.

• Like Like x 1