Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Well Amazon had Blast off, repugnus, punch, and nemesis prime.

Walgreens had brainstorm and now wreck gar. Plus they have a s**tload of marvel superhero exclusives. Not to mention the cyber battalion figures which while werent really walgreens exclusives they were pretty much exclusive to walgreens.

2. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Not sure what point you're trying to make, now. Yes, non-TRU exclusives have existed, and will continue to exist.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rated X

That is exactly my point. Thats why I think people need to realize that TRU is not the King Tuts sacred tomb of toys that they made it to be. It was a toy store. Businesses come and go.

4. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    All you've done is demonstrated that exclusives will continue to exist. I've never suggested otherwise.

I'm suggesting that there may well be fewer of them, but they're never going to go away. Demonstrating that other outlets also have had them does nothing I haven't already said myself.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire FUNCTION: INTERCEPTOR

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 8
  8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for that, now I'm gonna have "Wanted, Dead or Alive" going through my head all afternoon.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Rated X

Im suggesting that TRU isnt worth caring about. We both agree exclusives arent going anywhere. My original comment wasnt really calling out people who were worried about getting less exclusives. I was calling out 40 somethings who honestly believe todays TRU is anything like the TRU we had in 1980s. Its not the same place. Youre not loosing a piece of your childhood. That 1980s TRU you had all these magical memories of was gone a long time ago. Those are the types my original comment was addressing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

But as you said earlier, you don't have kids nor do you buy toys outside of TFs iirc. While I can take my kids to Walmart or Target and walk them through the toy isle, understandably TRU has a far wider selection and it was more fun to do it at TRU to get an idea of stuff they'd like for presents/holidays as it's catered directly towards them, being a toy store and all.

So for those of us that likes to take their kids to the toy store and get something for them, TRU was exactly the same now as it was then. Because I would go to the toy store with my mom and get stuff in the same fashion.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Gamestop as well as Entertainment Earth have stepped it up with the exclusives, too.

I get what you're trying to say, a store is just a store. But to @G.B. Blackrock and other's points, while we as collectors will be fine without TRU since we still have our memories and we still have our toys, the sad truth is that kids in the future won't be able to have any such memories (and in turn maybe have less of need or want for the toys, too).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rated X

Well that argument works both ways. I may have never had kids, but I used to be a kid. When I was a kid I knew exactly what I wanted before I even walked into the toy store. I honestly didnt give a s**t about an adventure or exploring aisles of toys that werent the toy I wanted. It was straight to the Transformers aisle for me. And I didnt care if it happened to come from Sears instead of TRU. (Yes, Sears used to have a decent toy section in the 80s) It was a reward for being a good boy and behaving throughout my parents boring ass furniture or clothes shopping day. And if I was a kid today, I swear id be the same way. My "adventure" begins when I got home and unpacked my new toy from its cardboard prison. I just never saw TRU as some kind of Disney World. Thats just me.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
  14. Rated X

I get you. I can only speak for myself, but my fondest childhood memories of Transformers are of Transformers. Not where I got them from. Its like trying to remember which local TV channel played the G1 cartoon in your area...who cares as long as you got to watch it ? Hell, im sure many here can agree that their best G1 toy memories came under a Christmas tree or in front of a birthday cake. But then again, youre not gonna turn a Transformers fan into a toy fan. TRU had a good run. So did cassettes and CDs. We still got music, we just gotta go to different places to get it now. Same thing with toys. The whole 24 hour 7 days a week coverage of TRUs demise provided by another TF fan site was overkill in my opinion. They literally had people mourning on there like if it was the Transformers brand itself that was shutting down. I was like...seriously guys?

15. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

It's not just the fun of it, it's the practicalness of it. I can walk my kid through the store and see what they take to, simple as that. Again, you don't have kids and your experience isn't that and that's fine. I think you overstate it and being intentionally obnoxious about not giving a shit about the store, comparing it to Disneyland and all that, especially as you won't *drop it*.

But it really does come down to your experience not being the same as others, except no one's shitting on you for that.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rated X

Dude its a store. Its not a magical trip to never-never land. I cant speak for all kids, but I as a Transformers fan I pretty much knew what aisle I wanted to hit before I made it through the parking lot. Now if you got a son who wants to explore the world of barbie or a daughter who wanted her first tonka truck then maybe they will wonder around in the place. If you got 12 year olds who want to look at Mr. Potato heads or Sesame Street maybe theyll got lost in the joyful halls of paradise. But if you had kids that were anything like me when I was 5-7 you be outta there in 10 minutes. Im nobody to tell a person how to parent their child, but if you want to spend a little hard earned cash on a a real "expierence" for kids, try Chuck E Cheese, Dave and Busters or maybe a water park or carnival or even a petting zoo. A TRU is not an "experience" its a store. Not trying to be disrespectful to you or anyone or their kids...just saying.

17. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad I'm not the only one. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let's continue keeping this a very civil and thoughtful discussion thread :thumb 

ToysRUs on Twitter

Press Release

• Like Like x 1
  19. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Datsun Bro TFW2005 Supporter

So, if I am reading this right...TRU is now an IP holder/toy maker with pop-up shops in shops?

• Like Like x 1
  20. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep! There comeback will not be their own retail stores,but selling their own BRAND in other stores (Like true heroes,Imaginarium products etc). Toysrus actually did make their own toys and had their own brand. Stores will likely reserve a section in their departments for their Brands and they could even open Kiosk stands in a Mall of sorts.

As far as actual retail stores? that's a long way off. Not happening anytime soon. So the "comeback" is not what most everybody wants to think or believe.

• Like Like x 5