Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Protostar

Protostar TOOOOOOAAAASSSSTTT!1! 1! 111! 11!!

Both of the two ones in SA still haven't moved past wave1-2 of TR for the most part

2. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I heard about this on the radio this morning. I wonder, if one isn\'t closing down, will they have discounts given this entire situation and all?

3. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well they're going to liquidate old product, but a store that's staying open won't have a storewide sale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Damn, we're getting wiped out in Phoenix. There's only going to be like one left

5. STRAKER454

STRAKER454 Police Box Traveler

I know, right? The Framingham and the Northborough stores are two I try to get to as they are both really well stocked. Well, at least the Auburn store is staying put for now.

6. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So the blame is the Online Shopping Boom.
    But there's a MAJOR FLAW of the Online Shopping.

You CANNOT scrutinize and check the item personally to fully make "money's worth".
    Good Luck when the delivered item in your doorstep have QC issues.
    And what if there's a QC issue? You send it back. And back and forth until you're satisfied?
    Isn't that a hassle too?

• Like Like x 2
  7. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn the Mesa Hills one. I thought outlet mall will go

8. LipSmack

LipSmack Well-Known Member

Or you send it back and there are no replacements

9. Worf

Worf Active Member

They're not lackluster. They've sold out of the popular ones. You may not believe it but there can be incredible turnover - the store gets a bunch of toys in, and they're picked clean by the time you get to them, leaving only the stuff no one wants behind.

You see, when a store gets a shipment, they're usually shipped in cases which have N of each toy in them (all assorted, but all in the same ratios). The store puts them on the shelf, as they come in. The ones that don't sell stay on the pegs. Unfortunately, it's hard for the store to bring in more because they can't order just one kind of toy, just the assortment.

Ditto goes for toys that seem to hang around - sometimes you think they don't sell, but they sell so well, you're seeing new stock every time you visit. Consoles are a good example of this - they may have a huge stock of consoles but they're constantly being restocked - the moment they run low a new shipment comes in refill the stock. (Learned this one the hard way - I thought it simply wasn't selling, but the associates tell me the stock I see will be gone in a couple of days, but every couple of days they get a new shipment so it only appears it doesn't move).

Actually, the problem with TRU isn't online shopping. It's other big box retailers - Walmart, Target, etc all coming in selling the same toys. Parents simply stop at Walmart and pick up the toy there while they're there in one-stop-shopping deal rather than run to Walmart, then run to TRU.

TRU is not like say, Sears. If you actually walked into a Sears (or Kmart), you'll know why they're in trouble. The stores are terrible, they feel dated, and you don't feel like shopping there very much. And in the case of Kmart, are just plain dirty/icky. They do not invite you in, and are not generally a place you feel like going back to.

Stores constantly have to refresh their look as tastes change. TRU did do that - their stores aren't terrible to shop in, in fact, they're rather nice. They're relatively modern in decor, they are well lit, there generally isn't a lot of garbage everywhere (i.e., the place is clean). The only real problem is traffic - going to TRU is a special event now, with most people simply shopping for convenience by going to Walmart, doing their groceries and other stuff there, and getting the toy there too because.

Granted, amazon and the like have had effects too, but honestly, as a kid, there's no wonder clicking through Amazon's pages. But there is a lot of fun walking through the aisles of TRU

• Like Like x 4
  10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Damn my local tru is closing

11. DanLyons

DanLyons Little-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The only TRU I’ve gone to in the past several years (Framingham, MA) is on the list. Looks like the end of my on-premises TRU shopping.

12. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Walking through a Toys R Us was always fun for me but getting there was a pain in the ass. The variety of stuff on their shelves reminded me that Transformers were just one of the reasons I would go there. Heck, most of the time I spent there was in the other non-Transformer aisles.

Their prices sucked and they didn't tend to keep kitschy old stock like Electronic Boutique did back in the day. They also have a shit website and their deals on Black Friday usually suck. But them closing stores also has to do with the rise of online shopping, other stores selling for cheaper and people in general buying less toys and more tech for their kids.

I'm not a parent but if I had kids and wanted to buy them a toy they could invest time and energy into, my first choice wouldn't be a Transformer. I love the damn things and can spend hours playing with just 1 but I have mad OCD sometimes and I love the 80's so it works for me.

13. SlagNotSlug

SlagNotSlug Well-Known Member

I went to the one in Dedham, MA all the time when I was a kid. Bit of a bummer to see it go.

14. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

WE HAVE A WINNAH !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Thank Primus both ones near my house and my childhood TrU out of state are safe.

16. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Thank goodness mine is spared!
    I think they can turn it around....if only they weren't saddled with all that debt years ago. They would have been fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  18. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kansas now only has one or two TRUs, but you get used to driving a ways away in Kansas and the Topeka store is about an hour's drive from *everywhere* people actually live. (Fuck you western Kansas, you're made of flat and windmills)

19. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Just because certain stores have been spared so far doesn't mean it will stay that way. It might take years but sooner or later the last tru will close. Just about any store that went through this thought the same thing of closing certain underperforming stores down and things might turn around, instead it rarely does and leads to another round and even many more rounds of store closings like the slow painful death of sears and k-mart.

• Like Like x 3
  20. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    Maybe BRU should star selling australian and new zealand infant milk formula to china. :p 

Reason i say that is here in australia someone is making a mint in selling baby formula from here becuase of the baby formula scandal in china. And since australia and new zealand have high standands with theres, people are buying the shop out of baby formula at the dismay of parents of toddlers and babys here to sell online.

Even with a two per person limit they still found a way to ransack the places that sell them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018