Toys R Us closing 73 stores!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dragonclaw, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundwaveMajor

SoundwaveMajor Dark WarLord of Insanity

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The on at West Ashley (Charleston), SC. is a small loss for them.
    There is one in decent driving distance.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm. $10 says that when the final list comes out, the one in west Fort Worth/White Settlement gets the axe. It's an older one, close to an older WM that's closing I believe, a Home Depot that already closed and a crappy Target. Meanwhile, the shiny ones in Arlington and Hurst will stay open.

I'd be surprised if any of the ones in Austin closed. They're all in major shopping centers/areas in primo suburban locations. The low rent one got closed during the last round.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    The one in Grand juction CO is closing down. IM BUMMED OUT

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I was really surprised the Hayward CA store didn't get the axe...that place is a dump and I never find anything there, even when I'm just shopping for my son...and I don't even bother with Dublin since they have one of the biggest scalpers in the Bay Area as a truck unloader and an Ebay powerseller on management...not really much point in shopping there.
    The decision to hit both Fairfield and Vallejo surprise me too...since that leaves a pretty big space between Sacramento & Pinole or Pleasant Hill...

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Wait, where's the one in Hayward???

Yeah, I never found ANYTHING in Dublin... Pleasant Hill is okay... Pinole is meh as well as Newark... Foster City one sucks too... Haven't been to the one in Colma but I heard that one's no good either... :mad 

6. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Listen to Junior and ChErikS guys, they know what they are talking about. The stores that are closing down are doing so because it will make TRU a stronger company. We just went through a phenomonal season, and even some of our low performing stores did much better than we expected. I know that some of the closings are due to the size of the stores... simply not large enough to support the business that a larger store could easily handle. Some are being converted to Babies R Us, juvenile products being much more profitable than toys. All of this means that the TRU's that are left standing will have more resources allocated to them (and more toys for that matter) and they will be much more profitable. I work in an area where one store closed, and it increased the sales of the surrounding stores incredibly. One store in particular is getting many improvements built into it, more payroll, and a better selection of toys. (it also has the best TF selection in the area) It's freaky and it sucks for those without any other toy store options in their area, but in the long run it will position TRU to really kick ass on Walmart and Target in the toy biz....which is the way it should be right?

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I checked earlier today and it seems the one store left in Birmingham, AL is safe for the moment.

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I want TRU to bounceback. I really do so don't take this the wrong way TRU insiders, but I am very sceptical. My brother in law worked for KB as a manager and this is the same lines almost verbatim they used for what ended up being the first round of closures. It was going to allow KB to survive and thrive as a leaner and meaner company...they had a phenomenal X-Mas season and just needed to "trim some fat". Six months after those closures they closed a HUGE chunk of the remaining stores (Wasn't it like 268 or some astronomical number...after closing 150 just six months before?). The local KBs that have survived look like a perpetual trash heap The one at the Great Mall looks like it's been going out of business for years. So like I said I really hope this case is different, but from the time I spent at TRU myself I have to say it's going to take a lot more than "trimming the fat" of leases & real estate to turn TRU around.

Oh and Razerwire...TRU in Hayward is on Hesparian. Right by Southland Mall (Though with Target moving it's store from the corner of Hesparian & Lewelling to a couple blocks from TRU...and Target's old site will be yet another Walmart...that TRU is about to get a lot more competition....)

9. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    Umm Really wasn't talking about the toys there. Just replying to the whole autmotive and...nevermind dude. :rolleyes: 

10. DTR281

DTR281 Well-Known Member

We can Add The TRU in Brea, CA to the list. I am still in good shape because that will still leave me with 7 TRUs in a 30 mile radius of me. This one though was only about 7 miles from my home, I still have one that is 4 miles away.

11. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

The Texarkana, Tx location is closing as well. Noticed a big sign outside of it on my way home from work yesterday.

12. Blur

Blur Slow but Steady

columbus ohio closing 1 of the 4 west side

13. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Actually, I think of it as evolution. BBTS is booming as are most every web based businesses. Commerce needs to agressively corner the market on online retail. I know that around Xmas they do, but I don't think most retailers consider it as a part of their mission statement. Thus R.I.P. :peoples: 

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you tried San Rafael or is that to far? I haven’t been there in a couple years, Santa Rosa is closer for me.

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Thank the TRU gods that the one near me isn't closing.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Taht may be, but you have to realize that TRU isn't like KB. KB is, let's face it, a really crap toystore. Their selection is extremely limited, often out of date, and they generally charge 50% more for a toy than Target, Wal-Mart, or TRU. The fact that there are still some open actually surprises me.

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That dosen't work for me realy. If there is an online store that has a brick and morter in my state I get hit with both shipping and sales tax. As long as I have a choice, when I purchase online it will not be with a store that will charge me for both.

18. keitaro

keitaro Geekinator

I went to check the Medford, MA location and found that they got 10-30% off inventory. It's a little strange for such little discount for a location closing and was expecting more. But then since there are other stores, I'm guessing that the leftover inventory will just get shipped over to other existing locations.

I sadly cannot find a single damn TF figure I can get for a decent price. And while I could very well grab a Starscream/Vector Prime set, I am left rather disappointed in the appearance of VP. I do like the color-swapped Starscream as it's different... but I couldn't bring myself to spend X dollars on it with a mere 10% discount. All the TF figures appear to have that same discount amount... sadly all the Supreme Starscream are left sitting there by their lonesome at $50 a pop. I do see some C.D. Red Alert and ol' Jetfire... but as mentioned, 10% off kinda ruined it.

The worst (???) part is that the only thing I actually bought were Metroid Prime 2: Echos and Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls for 9 bucks each after discount. To say the least, I walked out with something decent... even though it's not TF-related.

19. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Well, great. The Emeryville store was the closest one; now going to TRU will mean driving a fair distance ... which means I generally won't.

Time to head online and pay extra, I guess. ARGH.

On the flip side, I did see GBA FF I+II for $10 and snapped it up. A steal for the price.

-XCN-

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    There's one by Southland??? I didn't know that... I just know that there's a KB in the mall... I might have to check that one out someday...
    Nope... Haven't been to the one in San Rafael...

I frequent the Emeryville, Pinole, and Pleasant Hill one... Good thing the Pleasant Hill one seems to be staying alive... Pinole never gets anything so Pleasant Hill is the next best one for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.