Toys R Us Canada: a soon-to-be paradise for scalpers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zircon72, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Zircon72

Zircon72 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While making the rounds of browsing for TFs online a few days ago, I decided to take a look at toysrus.ca on the off chance there would be something of interest. Normally their selection is rather crappy, but I thought "screw it, let's take a look". The only good things (in my opinion) were Generations Selects Transmutate and the Buzzworthy 4-Pack, but I already have Transmutate on preorder at BigBadToyStore, and the 4-pack doesn't interest me.

But one thing caught my attention: the item limits. Normally from what I've seen in the past, the "__ per customer" is usually 1 or 2 (and 3 very rarely). But not this time. For these the item limit for both these products was FIVE.

Because of Hasbro's awful distribution here in Canada, especially in the west, finding things is already a problem. This is going to make things an even bigger problem, as scalpers are going to take advantage of this new item limit; then not only will it screw over normal collectors like myself, but more importantly it'll screw over children and/or their parents.

So I thought I should just share this change as a PSA to my fellow Canadians, as TRU's online site may become a wasteland for getting new stuff.

(Also fuck you, scalpers)

• Like Like x 6
  2. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Energon homebrewer

It’s not like they have much interesting to offer anyway. If you search for War for cybertron, they have like only 11 figures that are not out of stock and half of those are core class (Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee/Spike and Vertabreak). They seem to also get waves weeks later than other online retailers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

I'm not sure how this is new for you, that website's been there for a few years now.

New TF listings on most Canadian retailers sell out fast, usually within an hour, especially now during Covid.

It's crapshoot for selection on the website, the kingdom deluxe wave 2 deluxes are still "coming soon", and the Earthrise wave 3 deluxes never got in the website.

The trend is Walmart gets stuff the fastest, EB Games/Gamespot.ca -sometimes- gets their stuff, and TRU is the slowest to get new waves (sometimes not at all).

I'm sorry to hear about the West coast situation, but you're honestly better to drive south of the border (when they reopen the border by road), there's so much more selection than the few retailers we have here in Canada.

Ontario (my province) usually gets the newest stuff fastest since we're near the Hasbro Canada warehouse, but it's random at times.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zircon72

Zircon72 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Oh don't get me wrong, I already know that TRU Canada is absolute crap with their stuff, despite being a toy store.

I just thought I should share the news of this 5 per person bullshit before too many people suffer from it, y'know?

This is just another nail in the coffin for buying stuff from Toys R Us Canada.

Even with the exchange rate as crappy as it is and the shipping rates as high as they are, I usually buy from BBTS now because they have their shit together.