Toys ‘R’ Us takes extreme measures to prepare for holidays

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MetalicGrunt, Aug 30, 2014.

1. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    And then some.

2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    A HUGE part of that is the pressure Walmart and Target have been putting on toy companies to keep costs as low as possible...also happening with the quality of everything from electronics to clothing...when the big chains are calling 3/4 of the shots we all suffer.

3. The Iron Magnus

The Iron Magnus Optimus's Face-in-a-Box

that's what ebay's for

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I used to shop at Kay Bee so I don't care so much about the markup but please, for the love of God, start carrying some toys!

5. Spiderbite

Spiderbite Well-Known Member

The problem is the fact that the items they put in their super awesome dirt cheap clearance sale are mainly items no one but a few people wanted to buy no matter the price. I was still seeing the same few clearance items up to a few weeks ago when they, I don't know, took it out back and Old Yeller-ed it.

If they seriously want to be enticing, they got to make desirable items go on clearance; maybe not long term, but lightning deals would be great. Maybe one week have Voyagers at $10-15, maybe not even all of them, but a select figure. Say Generations Springer or AoE Grmlock. Someone picks that up, and they realize they have enough spare cash to buy another figure they wouldn't buy if they had to pay full price on the voyager. Or if the customer is a new one, that can be a gateway to more figures.

If they want/need to keep the high prices to break even, they have to balance it out in the opposite direction somehow. Low prices on desirable are one, but another is basic better customer service. Make TRU a desirable alternative to websites and other shops. Maybe, say, open up an order request system where someone deposits a meager, sub$5 fee to request TRU orders and reserves a specific toy for them so they have it in time for the holidays, or birthdays in general if it's a year-round thing. Not necessarily preorders, but something you can do with any figure that's still available in TRU warehouses.

While I'm at it, actual pre-orders would be nice. Not like the MP ones where it seems the number of figures to allow for pre-order has already been manufactured and set aside, but where the pre-order is done before the order so that they know how much to actually order and thus make.

Just my 2-cents. TRU is a very valuable asset to the US toy industry, and willing to take risks on things Wal-wart or Target would either play it safe on or have no idea what to do with. But they really have to shape up and make themselves a more viable place for both non-collectors and collectors to shop.

6. The Iron Magnus

The Iron Magnus Optimus's Face-in-a-Box

you probably WORK there.

7. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    TRU, bestbuy and walmart still think they can just run a brick and mortar store like shit was in the 1980's and expect to compete with online titans like Amazon ,ebay and QVC/overstock.com and make a profit.

Here is an article from bestbuy about their sales tanking.....best buy sales quarter

Now they are learning to their chagrin that LOL that giant online presence trumps brick and mortar 90% of the time.

and unfortunately the brick and mortar stores have done jack shit to beef up their online presence.

remember Sam Goody CD stores , Virgin records , Montgomery Wards and block buster video?

YUP....well Sears, TRU and Walmart eventually will topple like the other gone iconic brands that are largely irrelevant now due to online buying habits from consumers nowadays.

8. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm one of those small sector folks that still buy books...i get the hardback novels and just hold onto them and reread them every couple of years....But i have ordered only from amazon due to cost, free shipping and the vast availability of the books....

9. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    i know exactly when i last shopped TRU....getting the TRU MP grimlock via the TRU website....

I tried to do a pre-order for leader generations jetfire with paypal....and TRU processed the order and then cancelled it 5 minutes later with no explanation.

So i just went with Amazon and did the pre-order with them....saved $$$ on the shipping and screw trying to fight with TRU if they don't want my business.

10. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    MY TRU in tucson a few weeks ago busted out with three ice cream twins TF's from ROTF.....talk about old stock.....

11. jumpman23j

jumpman23j Well-Known Member

I remember them, and why in the bloody hell were they charging $18-19 for a cd you could get for 12 at best buy or walmart lol.

12. Spiderbite

Spiderbite Well-Known Member

What makes you say? Do I sound like I'm trying to defend the store or something? TRU (and oddly enough, Barnes and Noble) are some of the last retail stores (besides comic shops, which are usually overpriced) that sell toys beyond ones aimed at kids. In the past, we had KB toys, Suncoast, and Sam Goody that would do the same, too. Now those are gone, due to similar mistakes to what TRU is doing right now.

And meanwhile, many Targets and Wal-Marts are moving away from devoting as much space to toys. We aren't going to see Masterpiece figures at those two stores anytime soon, yet they also have a major say in the toy market since so many sales come through them.

13. madhatprime

madhatprime Call me: Ghostprime

News Credits:
    While I understand the whole of what you are saying, this isn't completely correct.

They will sell at MSRP, and slowly raise the price. This does not sit well with people. I understand they need to make a profit on toys since that is all they do, but I think it leaves a bad taste in people's mouth to some degree, and it too is affecting buisness.

14. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They need to lower their prices to compete with the likes of Walmart and Target. They also need to stop with junk "exclusives" that seem to sit around.

15. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Toys R Us needs to shed some stores and redo their inventory system. Then they need to be more aggressive in marketing and pricing. And they need to find something retail innovative that is clever and no one is willing to try yet.

16. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I must disagree. Seriously, it makes me wonder if you even hunt for toys at Walmart. Seriously, they "clearance" stuff has zero chance of selling (deluxe TDKR figures, for example) by marking it down to a dollar or two less. And then those items sit there literally for years. :lol 

My local Walmart barely even has an action figure section anymore. I don't even look there anymore, unless I am in the store for something else.

TRU needs to implement Walmart's free store-to-store shipping. That has proven quite handy for me. I get figures I can't seem to find without having to pay an additional $7 shipping charge.

EDIT

I tried a different Walmart a few weeks ago, and that was the biggest joke I have ever seen. There was virtually no action figure section and no Star Wars toys. Just a couple of those telescoping lightsabers, laying around. :lol  They have 4 aisles of clearance toys, none of which are priced to sell, lol.

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    As someone who works in the shipping and logistics business, I see the shift to online buying first hand.

When I got hired by UPS in 2011, we used to process 60,000-80,000 packages on our day shift, where 80 grand was usually the Sunday work day, our busiest, and the rest of the week would hover around 70 grand. On particularly bad days when trains would be late, we'd have less than 50 grand to work with, or if a previous shift got ran over, we'd pick up the slack and we'd maybe hit up closer to 90 grand.

Anyways, that all started to shift. 2011 we had a record peak season, and after that the numbers didn't really die down. In 2012, we had another record peak season, and finally in 2013, yet another. Nowadays, 75 grand is considered a "light" day when that was on the upper end of busy back in 2011. We routinely do 80-120 grand now.

These numbers are largely Amazon, Nordstrom, QVC, and other big accounts. I've seen it first hand how companies such as these have a huge online presence and thus, every year there is a tremendous increase in how many people just outright by from online retailers. This year's peak season is predicted to be even busier than 2013.

With numbers like this going up up and up every year, it's no wonder why TRU is feeling the stretch. It's one thing to read about it in an article, it's definitely another thing to see it impact your job.

18. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Price is always a factor, TRU is way overpriced. If it wasn't for an MP or two now and again, I'd have no reason to go there and I buy plenty of other toys for my son Lego's etc. Why pay 5-10 bucks more when I have 4 Targets and 1 Walmart closer to me that could have the same stuff albeit cheaper? The main TRU that was close to me was turned into a BRU instead.

19. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I remember when my TRU was charging $16 for these little 5 POA Wolverine figures. :lol 

http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130623-153821-e1372016932113.jpg

Now they are at Five Below for $3. Well, gee; I wonder if any of the people who paid $60 instead of $12 for the set of 4 figures has any unconscious/subconscious negativity toward the store, after being scalped?

And Walmart didn't undercut them, they never even got those in. Nor did Kmart.

20. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

I think TRU is just one of those places where you have to know how to get a good price. I signed up for rewards and the mailing list. So I get 20% off coupons regularly as well as some $5 off coupons. I have picked up a lot of Marvel figures for half price with those $5 coupons. And I used a 20% off on MP Prime.

You can get good deals there. I think they assume that collectors will seek out those deals and that the high price really just affects people who are not their regular shoppers.

If it keeps the last major retailer that focuses on toys in business, I am okay with it.