Toyark Restructuring Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Tony_Bacala, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    OK, Ive read what you guys said about everything.

I've made an adjustment, and put TF only Toy talk in it's own forum, up top under News. Ive renamed this forum back to just "The Toyark".

This forum, "The Toyark" would be for non-Transformers.

Ive also created Quick Jump links to each other up top of each forum when you are viewing the thread listing pages.

As it would work now, since highs and lows have a lot of non-TF based content in them, they would stay in here.

For "Lets see some cool stuff" threads, I would suggest we create one for TF only, one for Non-TF only, each going in the proper section.

For "Haul Threads", If it's primarily TF, goes in TF Toy discussion, even if there is one or 2 non TF in it.

If you buy 25 Sigma 6 figures and 30 Gundams, and no TF, then you would post it in here.

Does that make sense, and can we deal with that?

I think overall, it will help grow both sections. I ask everyone to try and look at it from an outside point of view, with the understanding that this is a TF site first.

So, sound off, let me know if the current layout will work for you regulars, and try to be specific as to why not, if not.

Not trying to fuck things up for you guys, just trying to make the site better overall,

Later!

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I still like it better the way it used to be and I'm guessing many others will agree, but these new changes sound a bit better. I totally understand your point, it just seems to make things more confusing is all.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well the tf toy and tfgd split definitely make things a lot better.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I like it, I like it. there was just SO much in the toyark, and that's actually where I started spending my own time, since there's not a lot of TF toy-related new products coming out. I'm sure this will help a lot of people out. thanks for listening, making the changes, and the awesome overall site update!

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed. I like the new layout, Tony; I think a separate forum for non-TF toys is a good idea, and I am glad there is now a TF toy forum again. Nice one.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's a great idea. I think what this lull in TF's has really shown is that we are ready to have two separate toy forums now as the old Toyark was getting very crowded with non-TF related toy threads. By doing this were really taking everything to the next level and I've noticed were definitely at a point were we can have it separated and still have both aria's going at full steam. Like I said having everything in just one forum was really crowding the place.

Awesome idea Tony.

7. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "For "Haul Threads", If it's primarily TF, goes in TF Toy discussion, even if there is one or 2 non TF in it."

That's the only part of what you described that feels odd to me. Also, what would happen for threads like Revoltech Show-off, where there's obviously a few TF items surrounded by masses of figures from other franchises?

When the line blurs a little bit like that, that's where the complete separation gets a little weird, but otherwise I think you've got good ideas

TF getting it's own toy forum is a good start, it'll be better than having all that mixed into the "Could Optimus beat Barney?" discussions you know.

Only thing I ask is what was the huge deciding factor that led to the thought that the toyark as it was was no good? I'm not saying I'm in the "FUCK THIS IT WAS BETTER THE OTHER WAY" camp completely here, just wondering what the general idea there is, as I'm not 100 percent sure needing to completely separate TF toy discussion from the other toy discussion.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  8. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think it's a great dea to separate non-TF's topics in a new forum, but I don't reall like that the old good Toyark forum is for Non TF's discussion. I would have prefered that TF's topic would be on Toyark, after all it's the name most of us are accostumed to.

Thanks!

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    In regards to hauls anything TF related goes in TF toy dicussion, everything else goes in here.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm very happy with the split. I only collect TFs and the old Toyark was too cluttered for my interests. Threads with good potential would get buried too soon. TF Toy Discussion breaks it down for visitors and new members so they know exactly where to talk about the TF toys.

As for non-TFs, I dig them but as a voyeur. I only like to watch. :lol 

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Great idea. Could we do that for TF Feedback as well? Split the non-TF stuff into a separate subforum?

Is there also a way to categorize the TF Feedback? Have all the movie figure/item feedback in one subforum, G1 in another, and so on?

12. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Makes more sense now, nice one Tony.

13. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Eh, the more I think about it, the more I get used to the new set up here. I still like the old way better, but at least separating the TF Toy discussion from TFGD makes it much better.

I do have one question, though. Slightly off topic, but kind of related. Are there any thoughts about separating TF comic discussion from non-TF comics? Just seems weird to me separating the toy sections, but not the comics.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't that what the feedback index sticky is for?

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel at some point you kinda have to stop micro-organizing everything into it's own sub-forum. It starts to get kind of overblown, and personally I think it makes it more work to actually enjoy a visit to the forum. When things are a little looser you're more likely to find a nice variety of different things right on one page, often things you wouldn't have honestly come across if it were filed away under some specific place otherwise.

I'm certainly not everything should just be blended together, just that getting into sub forums of sub forums of sub forums might be too much.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  16. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I agree with everyone you said there.

I also agree with a previous poster; I think when you start riding the line on what is TF-related and what isn't(like the previously mentioned Revoltech thread), it could be a bit confusing for some.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ahh I didn't see that function.

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You might as well just have non-TF toy feedback in the regular toyark. Adding too many sub-forums makes things a mess to try and sort through.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It will work itself out over time as well as getting used to all the new changes. I think some of you are overthinking this just a little bit though. The general idea of splitting it up is to have one forum to discuss TF's and one for just general toy discussion. There is bound to be some crossover, such as the Revoltech thread, but were not looking to micromanage and separate everything. If a topic is generally talking about TF's it will go in TF's, if not then it will be in here.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    b-i-n-g-o