Toy Official Release dates: How 'Official' exactly?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by StellarJet, Jun 25, 2016.

1. StellarJet

StellarJet Seeker

News Credits:
    Hi there!

I've been researching about the actual release dates of some figures, and I'm curious about the flexibility shown by online stores in the past in regards to figure release dates and store availability. A very technical question, so I was wondering if there are people here who know more about this.

I know, for instance, that some exclusive toys have quite specific release dates, like some Takara Masterpieces appeared to have in the past (day/month/year). What does this 'official' release date mean exactly? the day the toy is allowed into the market (on sale) by online retails, or the date is out of the factory and shipped to stores? (e.g., can a store have stock of the item prior to its scheduled 'official release' date?).

Just wondering...

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    There's generally a difference between Hasbro and Takara toys.

Takara toys have specific "street dates". Sometimes stores break those street dates by a day or two, but usually nothing more.

Hasbro toys, on the other hand, have a completely different distribution system. Their releases depend on two factors only: The toys being ready to be shipped, and stores being willing to order/stock them. So any release date for a Hasbro toy you might see is simply a rough estimate. Actual "release' dates may differ from country to country and even from store to store.

Sometimes there are official "street dates" for the first wave of a movie line or certain exclusives, but watch those street dates being broken. Every. Single. Time.

After all, it's not like Hasbro has any real leverage to punish retailers for violating a street date...

3. StellarJet

StellarJet Seeker

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info Nevermore!

Interesting...So I guess we can assume that 'street date' would be 'release' date, but then some stores, specially Asian retailers, might have Takara figures in stock prior to that date, but not allowed to put them officially for sale...(perhaps even only available for Pre-orders before the 'official' release date).
    It can be confusing, as one can't be sure if when they announce some kind of release date, if that would be the date the figure is out of the factory and distributed, or actually available for purchase...

It can make a big difference for highly limited figures...:)