Toy Hunter - How would that guy try to low-ball you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The_Black_Sheep, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    ^
    This...you always have the choice to not sell or try and consign. The host has very little charisma but needs to male a profit to stay open. He also seems to be cheaper then most dealers. The only thing that "bothers" me is that he seems to ignore boxed transformers (g1) - I always want to see what figures the sellers have

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the way reselling works. Buy for cheap, sell for a higher mark up.

A lot of the people on the show are not even collectors, many of them are ex employees that were given free stuff while working there. To them it is just junk sitting in their basement and are glad it is gone.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't see it as low balling at all, it's called doing business. Some of the people he buys stuff from are collectors, and even if they say they don't know the current value of what they have, they really do. If they both agree to a price, then who really cares. Jordan is a reseller. He's looking for good deals so he can make money off of it. ALL toy business run this way. Basically, if you want to get face value for what you have, don't sell it to a business. A lot of people get confused by this. Scalping is more of buying a toy that is readily available in stores, and selling it for twice what it costs.

4. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I never really got the concept of lowballing myself. If something it worth 100, and you offer 20 because you only have 20, I don't see that as lowballing. If the seller sells it to you, then you got a deal. People who complain about lowballing, in my experience, have typically been sellers or scalpers who try to sell an item hugely overpriced.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I think it's funny that in the one episode that focuses on Texas locations he was unable to get the prices he wanted from all three peeps

6. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

He didn't make any offers on that Grand Maximus and Darkwings giftset from the last episode ...

7. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    He didn't seem to care about TFs at all until he saw the prototype Slag. Personally, I can't stand the guy. I watch it to see the toys. I wouldn't sell anything to him. I'd much rather sell the stuff on eBay myself.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've personally have never been offended by low balling. If you have the balls to offer me $15 for a $100 item that's good for you. I've turned down plenty of low ball offers in a respective manner. It's just part of business/collecting/etc.

The guy on the show just seems to over the top for me. I understand it's reality TV though.

9. Salty

Salty Fritobot

I'm amazed that anyone could get their back up over this show and what this dude does. No one has to sell to him. If he is truly running a toy selling business then he has to get stuff cheap. There's no other way for this thing to work.

And on the collectors side, they are agreeing to a low(er) price for their stuff purely out of the convenience of not having to market the items themselves.

Don't be mad, just remember, if you try to sell your stuff to any kind of a dealer, the best you'll get is a wholesale price. Not the going retail rate.

10. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    Y'know what? I never thought of it that way, everytime motor city comic cons in town here i 'm there always making deals on TF's

11. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Yours, General Cartman E. Lee

Ebay:
    I'm surprised they didn't give him the chair for that. Remember, in Texas they'll execute people for that kind of stuff.... (lol....)

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    Well, he bought a G1 Soundwave for 20 bucks, so he could easily buy my entire collection for 5 bucks.

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I echoed everyone's statements about him having to buy low to resell. Moreover, when you do see him resell, he really isn't getting that much more over what he paid for the items. Honestly, this show is no different from pawnstars or hardcore pawn. Those guys are worse about lowballing.

I kinda agree because yes, he doing it for the audience, but it does come off as condescending to the owners who obviously know what they have. I wonder if a voice-over would work better.