Toy Hunter - How would that guy try to low-ball you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The_Black_Sheep, Nov 15, 2012.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I'm sure we've all heard of that show Toy Hunter. We all know it's scripted & staged bullshit and, just like me, I'm sure you've all become absolutely livid at how that Jordan guy continuously low-balls people. Now, Imagine that guy was right in front of you. How would he try to low-ball you?

"You've got 22 pre-transformers there. Now I hope you understand that collectors out there don't even see these as being real transformers. They see them as being fake-transformers. & all of those pre-transformers are full of lead paint - why would a collector buy a toy that would give them lead-paint poisoning? I don't think anyone is gonna buy any of these figures. Tell you what, I like you - you seem like a nice guy. I'm gonna give you the best offer I can. How about all 22 pre-transformers - at $5 each? That's $110 for the lot. Right here, right now. If I were you, I'd definitely take it."

:lol 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Almost everything I own is out-of-package, so there ya go. :) 

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that guy annoys the crap out of me with his lowball offers. I wouldn't feel as bad if he was collecting for himself but he doesn't really care about this stuff. Its just what he can sell it for.

Side note: I especially hate how he lectures the owner on the history of the toy (often had wrong info reguarding TFs). The guy owned it, he doesn't need the dime history. I know he is doing it for the audience but it just comes off as demeaning to the owner. It would be better if it was just the guy talking right at the camera then towards the owner.

4. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    If they were honest about it and called the show-the professional scalper or something along those lines, I'd have more respect for it...second thought fuck that, can't put lipstick on a pig

5. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I thought he low-balled the hell out of the owner who had the prototype Slag as well as the retail version. I think he sold them both for $700 an change.

6. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    He lowballs a guy out of a yellow cliffjumper

7. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I'd be like:

[​IMG]

8. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

nice. :)  i dont watch the show, but i already dont like him. effin jerk...

9. Zer0Prime

Zer0Prime Well-Known Member

I know where you guys are coming from but this is a show about a guy who buys toys only to sell them. Of course he is gonna rip some people off to make a profit. These are people who rather have a guy come to their house to buy their collection rather then put it up online themselves and take the necessary steps to ship it out. Do you really think the guy is gonna give them the figures' full worth?

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

He can buy some of my slightly broken Transformers which I've replaced over the years. I was going to give them for Christmas but I've been out of contact with most of my friends for quite some time.

11. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    =O that's sad (the losing contact with friends part

12. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i honestly only watch this show to see others collections..i could care less about the host...he does low ball the hell out of people tho..the only fair price ur gonna get is by another collector who knows the value, or ebay...

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you, someone who gets it.

This guy is not a collector. He is not "one of us." He's a salesman, same as one who sells cars. Do you think you get as much for a trade-in as you would selling your car to someone else? Of course not.

Any- any- person or company that sells things has to buy them for less than they sell them for. That's the only way they make profit.

14. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

The the same people here go to conventions and buy off stuff from these kind of people. Ironic isn't it? Such is us.

15. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:

I am only quoting you because I wanted to let you know that your signature pic is one of my favorite pics in the entire world.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  Thanks!

17. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Wow, you mad, bro?

It's a show. For entertainment. I'm sure the people who agree to let the host and the camera crew into their homes/stores to film their segments are aware of this fact. They're also free to haggle/negotiate the prices (that's kind of the point of the show), or to even say no if it's not satisfactory.

It's not like the host and crew are barging into the residences unannounced to steal stuff from them while they're away. I'm sure contracts (that the sellers have to sign) and such are involved in the filming as well. No one put a gun to the heads of the sellers to make them go on the show. No one twists their arms to agree to the host's pricing. The sellers always have the option to put their stuff on eBay or something and try to move/ship it on their own themselves.

And it's pretty much been said that resellers have to buy below market value in order to make any sort of profit. If they don't, why bother going through with all the time and effort? And the host has contacts and venues through which he can better move product, time and effort and resources that the sellers don't have or can't be bothered with. Sometimes convenience is its own reward.

18. soundwave144

soundwave144 #1 Best, good friend of Soundwave on the planet.

News Credits:
    ^ YEAH!!...hatin' suckas! i love that show cuz i enjoy seeing toys from mah childhood that i havent seen since then. when its on im like, "man, i havent thought of that in YEARS!" or, "hey, so and so use to have that toy when we were kids." me and my kid (13) watch it together and i like telling him about the toys that im familiar with and how they have come a looong way from when i wuz a kid

19. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isn't this the same guy who knows "everything and anything about toys", yet still thought m.a.s.k. predated transformers?

I have no intention of selling anything but I'd gladly have him come out to give an offer on my collection for the pure entertainment value. Seems like he has very interesting ways at spinning stories to make a deal for himself.

"Fortress maximus is the biggest transformer, man. Nobody has room for it in their house. It's a very hard figure to sell, especially for a vintage one these days with new ones coming out at only $350 imported next year. Looks like you have a vintage one complete with box, instructions and everything there so I'll be a good sport and give you $50 for it. You can put that toward getting a brand new one next year!"

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have one, but I can see him saying this:

An original Optimus Prime, in the original box with unapplied stickers and the missiles still on the sprues? That really reduces the value of the item, serious collectors would look down on that and think you're lazy for not bothering to sort those out. I'll do you a favour and give you $10 for it.