Toy designs in modern comics - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Do you want to see characters in comics looking exactly like their toys or would you rather have the artists come up with their own designs for the characters as long as they remain some recognisable elements?

Doesn't have to be all original 1980s toys or all modern toys either. Could be Alternators for example.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It really depends on the toy. I don't like the look of Alternators compared to modern designs. (nothing wrong with them, we just have better IMO) Like Megs' current body outshines any of his G1 toys or variants. But there's some toys that could work. Idealy I'd prefer to have toys made of the comic designs.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    As long as it looks cool I'll go along with it.

4. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    I'd quite like them to do a comic with the art based faithfully on the G1 toys, perhaps as an experiment.

The thing is, most Transformers these days are probably a bit too well-proportioned, both in the comic and in recent toys. I think they've strayed a bit too far from their alien roots and perhaps become a bit too human. When you see Transformers with pecs and biceps and stuff, you know that we've come a long way from blocky, oddly-shaped robots such as G1 Warpath, Ironhide or Brawn.

The Transformers are alien, after all. Just for once i'd like to see them depicted as aliens - the old 80s toys looked like they might have come from a distant planet, and the idea was helped along by their wacky proportions - Wheeljack's monkey arms, Seaspray's big feet, Jazz's lack of feet, or whatever. They felt alien, and weird, and mysterious.

Recept attempts to update these characters do look cool, admittedly - but by making them so human-like it's almost taken away one of the core ideals of the 80s toys.

In a way, I kind of admire the character designers for the Michael Bay films - the Constructicon with the tread-wheels was an absolutely amazing (and of course alien) piece of design. The Arcee cycle-bots made for crummy toys, but their sheer oddness made them winners in my book. And the pogo-stick bulldozer was pretty cool, too.

So yeah, I'd like it - not all the time but perhaps just as a one-off - lets have these Transformers looking weird again just like in G1 - a skinny-legged Megatron, a simian Wheelie, Astrotrain with his tiny arms and a hundred others I could mention.

Yeah, let's see it!

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really enjoy it whenever it happens. Even though I could go "hurf durf that's stupid why did they change their body again" or "OMG the same design is in multiple continuities I hate life" but I get a thrill from having Generations Shockwave be "the" IDW Shockwave. I even have a shelf that's all figures inspired by IDW art or later used in that art.

6. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. The comic designs are often the best the G1 characters have looked, ever.

7. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I want the comics to be true to the toys. Now, feel free to take a few liberties, sure. I mean, toy accurate Ironhide in issue #1 way back when did look silly. But, in general, I want the comics to be toy accurate, with minor liberties taken to make them look real and fine and good art. No having to mimic an 'empty chest' or 'missing back' that the toy may have, after all.

I don't really like the total redesign that ignores every single toy ever that's going on now. The characters have to look similar to something that's already been done. If the character doesn't have a modern toy, use an older one, or the original model. But making Swerve and Chromedome up from scratch? No, hate it. Especially when it seems that certain characters change their looks every book they show up in.

IDW needs to stick to one single look for the characters, and that look really should be close to what toys are out there. It IS after all, still a franchise built around selling toys. Love it. Embrace it.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think they should keep to the toys, too. One problem with the redesigns, (I mentioned this on the IDW forums) is that the comics make people like me want to buy toys. You have the classics line and let's say they don't use those designs (which is what they do). The fans want those designs in plastic form because the classic toys they have aren't supported by fiction. So, Hasbro makes those toys which uses up money and effort that could be used to create another character. Because, why do we need more toys for a-list characters that already have a classics toy?

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I don't care about the toys.

I don't buy them, I don't collect them I don't even look at them.

I'm a fiction only guy and if a design is cool I don't care how we got it.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Don't really care as long as it looks good.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    base the toys on the comics and I'll love them forever. They want to make G1 toys with an updated, modern look for classics. The comics have updated looks for G1 Characters. I don't see the problem, they should start doing it!

12. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm going to say, it depends. for example, the classics looked great in shattered glass, but felt wrong in all hail megatron, because they are 2 different universes and i like keeping the separate universes as different as possible. though i'm all for toy companies to use comic designs

13. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    It depends - I like the use of WFC/FOC designs in RID, as it means I can have a RID display (Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, Bumblebee, Jazz and eventually Shockwave), but there have been instances where it felt pointlessly forced. The AHM seekers were a great example of this, when E. J. Su's fantastic F-22 design was ditched in favour of an F-15 alt mode, closely based on the Masterpiece design. We were promised an in-story explanation for why they would revert to an older and tactically inferior aircraft, but it never happened.

That said, I'd love to see Generations expand into the current comic designs. Rung. Now.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

The problem is:

IDW tends to make the characters look different whenever they get bored.
    They tend to redesign characters every series.
    They tend to make designs that CAN NOT be made into toys.
    They aren't the creators and owners of Transformers, Hasbro is. Hasbro should state what the characters look like, not some people with the license. Tail wagging the dog.

Now, if Hasbro decided to hire a few IDW artists and some in-house artists, and make a comic styled look that was going to be the iconic look for each character from here out, that both toys and comics followed, that would be different.

But the comics are to supplement the toyline. And they should be employing toy designs to help sell the toys. That's the very basic philosophy for a toy based comic product.

15. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are mostly fine as is... a mix of toy and IDW designs. Optimus' IDW design is far superior to his FoC and WFC design, as is Megatron's. Hot Rod just needs to go to His G1 design and ultra Magnus should be a mix of both his IDW and FoC one.

But which ones really need to be changed? The Dinobots.

IDW's Dinobot designs are horrible. Legitimately horrible. I'm not sure what to even say about them. Is it the curves? The lack of color? The poor alt-modes?

They need to give them their amazing FoC designs which should be defined as the "Neo-G1" design for the next decade, and never use the IDW designs ever again.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Its easier for IDW to draw an image of an existing toy than to get Hasbro to make a toy out of a new character introduced in the comics. Hasbro has done it before but they don't do it often. Last thing they want is for a comic book company to dictate what new Transformers look like to them.

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah how about no. The Marvel G1 went to shit just because of things like that.

I don't want IDW to go to shit (again) as well because Hasbro wants it to be another commercial for the toys. They have the cartoons for that.

Not to mention that the kids a.k.a the target audience for the bloody things aren't interested in the comics as much as the adults and rather stick to the cartoons and movies. There is no point in making the comics toy commercials if the target audience for the toys isn't reading it.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think I'd like to see more toy-ish designs. Sometimes I don't know who I'm looking at in the comics unless someone mentions their name.
    There was 'The Enemy Within!' way back in the old days. Even as a kid I thought it was cool to see the comic artwork look so much like the toys I owned. Also 'Man of Iron!'.

The Enemy Within! - Teletraan I: the Transformers Wiki - Fall of Cybertron, War for Cybertron, Transformers: Prime, Toys, Kre-O, Rescue Bots!

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Man_of_Iron!

I think the first UK TF annual also used a lot of toy-ish designs for the strips and text stories within. And then there were various old promo strips and art used in storybooks where the TF were drawn more closely to their toy designs. I'd certainly like to see a one-off comic that revisted that style idea.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:

Done.

Young Corgi- Battle Beneath the Ice

Well, not quite a full comic, but its close.

20. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The current crop of comics aren't meant to push toys. They're for adult or later teenage fans of tf fiction. I say let the artists be artists and keep restrictions to a minimum.