Touch Up Paint

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by RondoCalrissian, Jul 12, 2020.

1. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

Has anyone in the history of 3rd Party actually gotten a bottle of Touch Up Paint from any manufacturer? I've got some paint chips on FansToys and XTB figures that I found after opening them up for the first time and it's bugging the crap out of me. I mean as much as I like paint on a figure, I really don't care for them because they are usually just 1 coat with no clear coat on them to protect them. I feel that's a missing crucial step to have for figures that transform.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Captain Cid

Captain Cid Harpoon Dragoon

Ebay:
    I've never asked a 3rd party manufacturer for touch up paint, but I have found a few exact matches at local hobby shops:

Xtransbots Dead End - the legs can be touched up with Model Master Graphite Metallic
    Takara Sunstreaker MP 39 - Testors Gloss Yellow
    Takara Sideswipe MP 12 - Testors Gloss Red, Testors Flat Black, Testors Gloss Black
    Takara Bluestreak MP 18b - Testors Gloss Blue
    Xtransbots Breakdown - Testors Gloss Light Ivory

In fact, Testors Gloss Black, Flat Black and Gloss White go a long way with most figures. I've used it on many...I have been buying paints to color the pin ends, screws and other shiny metal parts that would otherwise not be there in alt-mode. For example:
    Power Of The Primes Punch/Counterpunch - Testors Gloss Blue
    Unique Toys Swindle - Testors Flat Tan
    Power Of The Primes Rippersnapper - Model Master Light Gray (fs36495)

Testors Metallic Silver works wonders on several figures too, for example Bluestreak MP 18b's hood, Takara Power Of The Primes Blot knees, Takara Soundwave MP-02 legs and arms. Find a hobby shop that specializes in models and has a large selection of model paint. If you are going to try to match colors, you must see the color in person. Bring spare parts that you want to paint to match colors. You'll be surprised at how many exact matches you can get.

• Like Like x 10
  3. rasky

rasky Well-Known Member

Awesome! Do you use the Testors' Enamel paint or Acrylic paint? I'm assuming Enamel, is that correct? Thanks in advance!

4. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

Fanstoys actually got back to me and told me they neither had spare parts and touch up paint for Sherdian. X-Transbots was a lot more helpful. They ended up shipping me the parts I needed. Takara on the other hand . . .

I picked up some Testors that was recommended by someone on this board that found a complete match to Fanstoys Sheridan so I'll just go that route. I know transforming the figure always results in more scratches and paint chips.

5. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    Enamel is correct. I've never tried the acrylic paints.

6. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    Found another one, Testors Flat Sunflower is a perfect match for the yellow paint on the upper legs of Xtransbots original release of Overheat/Drag Strip.

• Like Like x 1
  7. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Fans Toys were shipping paint for their Hot Rod a ways back to touch up the car nose chips.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Captain Cid

Ebay:
  9. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I believe that's a translation---the real name of the color is "Plum Crazy" and is much easier to find under that name. (even comes in a spray can).
    (though almost all Testors paint is discontinued now)

10. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ** bLaH-BLAAh-BlaHH-BLAAaAAH!.!!! **

@Captain Cid Hey since you're the paint whisper for 3rd party figures (jk) do you have any suggestions for FT Bandit/Wildrider's Matte gray they use?? During my 1st Transformation I guess I did something wrong and got a minor paint nick/scratch on the back of both his thighs unfortunately. I've message FT explaining the situation and even asked if I can BUY the pieces but was denied. Ask for touch up paint and denied, I even asked if they can suggest any paint and same old answer.

Thx FT;) 

11. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

Someone make a wiki

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when you have a chance, give Tamya acrylics a chance. I’ve been using Testors most of my life. I’ve fallen in love with Tamya acrylics and in many cases prefer them now. They’re easier to apply and clean up.

that being said I still use testors enamel for certain things. One of my favorite combinations is Tamya gunmetal as a base with testors chrome silver dry brushed over it for weathered metal. It’s absolutely magical.

13. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

I've discovered that Testor's "stop light red" enamel is a perfect match for the Gigapower dinobot red chromed areas. This is the lacquer version.
    [​IMG]

14. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    I have not found a match yet for the dark grey on Wildrider, but I did find that Testors Stop Light Red Metallic is a good match for the metallic red. You'll need this for the upper front shoulders after a few transformations. You can also touch up that red and the red on Xtransbots Wildrider with a red sharpie, but the Testors enamel is a much better match.

15. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    You have any pics of before/after for Dead End? I pulled mine out of the cabinet yesterday and there's two big chips that weren't there before.

16. paparazz0

paparazz0 Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a blue for FansToys Dunerunber?

I have a nasty scratch from replacing a pin

17. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    I have yet to find a flat, preferably metallic blue to fit Dunerunner. That is one of my favorite masterpiece figures. Testors flat white is a good match for the rest of it.

I've got before and after. The color is a better match than the photos make it look because the texture left by my painting does not match what was factory applied. I took two photos with different angles to show how much viewing angle affects the appearance when the light is bright. I've also attached a few photos of the flat black and metallic purple I've used on the insecticons. It's all on what are otherwise metallic pin ends. The black screws do not take the purple paint very well.

There is a local hobby shop that I am going to clear out of their remaining Model Master paint. Hopefully that gives a few more matches.

RIMG8410.JPG RIMG8411.JPG RIMG8412.JPG RIMG8413.JPG RIMG8414.JPG RIMG8415.JPG RIMG8416.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    I managed to snag a bottle of the Graphite Metal paint. Do I just brush it on or do I need to use thinner with it? Total noob at enamel painting.

19. Captain Cid

Ebay:

Just brush it on. It's not easy to match the texture, the legs are painted by a machine. Shake the paint container and use the paint at the very top. If it thickens on your brush after painting for a bit, clean the brush and start over. I'd love to see your results. I'm honestly considering stripping the legs of paint completely and repainting them with this. The factory paint looks great but it just doesn't adhere to the metal underneath.

I'm leaving for the hobby shop I mentioned in a few. I'll post any additional matches I find here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

Someone on Reddit told me about these pens designed to be used on Gundam model kits. They work on Transformers too. Might be easier to get those to do touch up. Though I don't know what colors are available.