Torchwood: Miracle Day

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, May 23, 2011.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    So far I've felt it's been pretty awful on many levels. Maybe it'll pick up as it nears the end but it's just been such a hard trudge through the dross right now.

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I realized that all 10 episodes of this series is going to be this story, it's just trudging along. Boring and slow.

I like that they're going for realism in that it's not easy peasy to find the moustache twirling villain behind it all, but at the same time, this story is just dragging along to the point where I almost don't care anymore; each week has generally felt weaker then the last episode.

Also, not that I mind Jack being gay, but he's omnisexual, have him hit on a woman every now and then too.

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    They keep having throw a boring low level human villain at them each episode for them to have something to fight against. I fully expect next episode Torchwood will have to deal with a troublesome traffic warden just to give them a new hurdle to get over while barely moving the main story forwards.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ok, another Torchwood newbie question. Wife and I were hooked by the first few episodes, but according to the episode numbers, they've been aired in incorrect order so far... or are the numbers wrong, but the airdate right? For instance, according to the Episode #s listed by Dish Network, we've seen 1, 2, 3, 6, 4, and most recently, 8. we stopped at 3 when I noticed the #'s being odd, and didn't want to be spoiled... but now I'm not sure what's right and what's wrong... :( 

5. topnotch97

topnotch97 Lexi Belle fan

so is there gonna be a 5th season for Torchwood? they seem to be holding off on whether's gonna be a next one. kinda like Children of the Earth. i wasn't expecting anything afterwards. the way BBC did it, at least they gave a nice ending for Torchwood at Children of the Earth. whether the show returned or not, at least they could point out there's closure.

awwww heck. took them awhile to come back due to budget issues, but here's hoping a new season for Torchwood. here's hoping!

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It would have to get a lot better first. I enjoyed children of earth. However it was shorter and had much more action.

7. Nemesis Prime I

Nemesis Prime I Nemesis Prime Transforms!

I Miss this Episode!!:(  I Open BBC Iplayer I Keeping Search Torchwood Miracle Day, I watch The Categories of Life & The Middle Men it Awesome. Cant Wait to Next Episode.:) 

8. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm honestly just bored with miracle day, I might get interested when they do a proper season.

9. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Ugh, I'm getting so close to dropping this. I started jumping ahead when I was watching it today.

10. topnotch97

topnotch97 Lexi Belle fan

so what is that thing? The Blessing? but what is it?

11. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Ugh. Really, truly ugh.

It doesn't make any sense. Even if you weren't a follower of Torchwood or Doctor Who beforehand, this series even points out why the Blessing wouldn't have worked. Jack isn't immortal because of his blood. He is Immortal because Rose made him a fixed point event. His blood as he even stated in at least one part, isn't special, it's normal blood just like everyone elses (Well, everyone else from the 51st Century or wherever he's from).

Because of that, the Blessing wouldn't work. Because of that Rex should be very mortal and likely very dead.

The Racnoss and Silurian psuedo explaination wasn't bad and a nice nod, but really, the entire plot doesn't work. 10 dull episodes for that, blech.

12. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, actually, I just watched the finale this morning (fell asleep before it started) and I have a theory as to how
    Rex is still alive.

The Blessing (which runs the morphic field) drew blood from both Shanghai and Buenos Aires from what it thought was 2 versions of Jack since Rex had Jack's blood inside him. When the field reversed, it did the same thing to the carriers of the blood, thus returning Jack back to the way he was, i.e. immortal, and the Blessing, not realizing that a) Jack is that way due to being a fixed point in time, and b) that Rex was not actually Jack; did the same thing to Rex without using the TARDIS matrix like Rose did.

Basically, all it did was flip a switch. Anyone who was made immortal was now mortal again, and anyone was mortal, in this case both Rex and Jack based on the blood, is now immortal.

Personally, I like the "What, What, What" at the end. Very Doctor Who there, especially the way Jack did it

13. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Might wanna put some spoiler tags in there, the last episode hasn't aired in the UK yet.

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed. I thought it was like Doctor Who, airing the same day in both countries

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Well, I saw the final episode last night. I don't say stuff like this often but I want those ten hours of my life back. I had really hoped at least the final episode might be some amazing wrap up but it very much wasn't. And so talky talky too. Waffling Torchwood technobabble does not make for a great finale. And considering I didn't give two shits about any of the characters, even Jack or Gwen anymore, I was just mentally pleading for the whole thing to hurry up and explode and run the end credits. Life or death stand-offs really don't work when you kinda wish they'd all just die and be done with it.
    I didn't much enjoy Children of Earth and this dismal slog of crap has finally confirmed for me to not bother with Torchwood anymore.

16. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Is there a release date for the DVD of this yet? I haven't been able to catch any of these eps. and plan to just marathon the whole thing when it comes out on DVD.

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Watched the last episode last night, can't say I was impressed. The whole thing plodded through without any explanation whatsoever, the characters were boring, the ending was obvious and all it seemed to achieve was set up a follow-on that may or may not happen.

Between this and the current season of Doctor Who, I'm extremely disappointed.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    In my opinion you'd be better off saving both your money and your time by entirely skipping Miracle Day.

19. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Thanks, but I'll make up my own mind about it. I loved CoE, and I really enjoyed the first two seasons so I'm excited to see this series. I typically find that I like a lot of the Torchwood and Dr. Who entries that many dislike anyway. :) 

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It's a series by Davies, he's great at establishing conflict and drama, but has a poor record for resolving said conflicts. Most solutions generally revolve around a mcguffin or fantastical cure all solution that makes little sense. This is why many have issues with series 3 and 4 of Doctor Who and their similar end of season finalies.