Toplessrobot.com has "Top 10 TF toys that looked nothing like their cartoon..."

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Oct 1, 2008.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Err... I thought that was the original blackarachnia recolor from Tarantulas? Though, I've got the 10th Anny Tarantulas so I'm not entirely sure at this point...

On a side note... I actually do agree with just about everything he said there. Not a darned one of those original series toys looked like their on screen counterparts. Some less so than others, but with engineering being what it was it's not hard to understand why.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Not to be a total pain-in-the-ass nitpicker, but did Takara resculpt 'Bee's face in 2004? I thought they didn't do that until recently in Encore...?

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, the first release of the minibots set in the 'book box' reissue line (which actually had the original colored versions of most of those minibots) had BB's face resculpted and they just reissued it, so to speak, in the Encore line.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    That list made me kind of sick.
    we've all known this stuff, now stilted and repeated meaninglessly.

The toys are just something you go along with as a g1 collector. And I think their all pretty fun.
    most of the arguments come down to faces. Its 1984, you have die cast metal a4nd plastic converting robot toys with rubber wheels. But the kids are going to blitz out over ramjet and bumblebee having inaccurate faces? That is a pretty elitist view of things. As well as inaccurate sense the toys sold well.

More. Much More Than meets the eye.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Ahaaaaa. Thanks for clearing that up. ^_^

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So it is. I was remembering the Japan version with gold arms and such.

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I agree with most of those (except Rumble/Frenzy because thats just a name issue, and Minerva/Nightbeat). Should have guessed what would be number 1

9. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I love that list, was a fun read and definately they know what they are talking about, ultimately, it needs more beast machines.

10. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, I had to go check myself after posting that. Takara got the paint right again, but she really needs an upadated toy of her original design.

Yeah, for a modern toyline... BM was scary!

Welcome! :) 

11. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Agreed. The number 1 was pretty self explanatory. R&F and Nightbeat weren't really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned. I think though that Skywarp, Starscream and Thundercracker were bigger errors than the coneheads seeing as how they had the nosecone's sticking out the back of there heads like a huge eye sore.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It's not engineering problems, for cryin' out loud, it's inaccurate animation designs!

With the exceptions of Galvatron and Wheelie, every one of these characters was a toy first. The cartoon messed up making Rumble purple. The cartoon gave Ramjet and co. those ridiculous dunce's caps. And it was the cartoon that threw away Ratchet and Ironhide's toy designs almost entirely and redrew them as fully humanoid bots. I'm not doubting that some of these redesigns may be considered improvements, but seriously, when will people get it through their skulls that the TOYS CAME FIRST?

13. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, but none of the modern toys have really come up with a good idea of where to put the darned nosecones either IMO. Classics has it sticking out of the back of their head and than turning down. Robot Masters had them in a very weird position as well sticking down from the back. The Masterpiece ones are the only ones that don't look a little weird, but even then I'm not sure I actually like the way it's put away...

14. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Never said that they didn't (in the case of the 84-85 toys). All I was really saying is that the engineering on those toys was not that great. Doesn't matter if they came first or not... there's a reason those designs were thrown out the window by the animators. Sure, the toys were great for when they were made, but they would not have looked good animated like that. Perhaps I should have extrapolated more as so not to offend some people's obvious sensitivities to this subject?

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would agree with everything past Galvatron (4-1) but everything else they have listed is a complete miss, and comparing Nightbeat to Minerva I don't know what they were thinking on that one.

16. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Yeah - the Minerva/Nightbeat comparison is a bit of a WTF indeed.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    The whole BM maximal line should have taken up #2, not just Silverbolt

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I knew Ironhide and Ratchet would be in there, I look at that toy and go "what is it?"

19. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Ratchet/Ironhide are understandable, as is Galvatron to some extent. But Minvera/Nightbeat? That's like saying Starscream's animation model looked nothing like Thundercracker's toy...

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh. Sorry, I'm not usually that... heated. Frankly, I think the toy designs could have been quite easily worked into decent animation designs, but for whatever reasons, they decided not to try and just did what they did.