Top Ten Jim Carrey movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Feb 17, 2020.

1. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Sonic's out and people like it and Jim Carrey is in it.

Cinemassacre is also doing a Jim Carrey month.

It's Jim Carrey season all over again.

Post your top ten Jim Carrey movies. Personal favorites only no copy paste lists please.

1. The Truman Show
    2. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    3. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
    4. Sonic The Hedgehog
    5. Batman Forever
    6. Dumb And Dumber
    7. Man on The Moon
    8. The Grinch
    9. Bruce Almighty
    10. Me, Myself & Irene

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think there are 10 Jim Carrey movies I like.

Dumb and Dumber
    Eternal Sunshine
    Kick-Ass 2 was okay

After those three, his movies either don't hold up (imo), or I never liked them in the first place. No slam on him; he's an amazing talent. Just in some awful movies.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I liked Jim Carrey movies when I was younger. And, I like him in small doses. Like, he's really good in variety shorts. But, these days, watching the same movies I liked as a kid, is tough. Tough just to sit through. He was hard to watch in the Grinch. He annoys me in Batman Forever. Which used to be one of my favorite Batman movies, when I was a kid. Now, not so much. In contrast, I like the shit out of Batman and Robin. Dumb and Dumber, used to be funny to me, and same with Ace Ventura, and the Mask.

But, my sense of humor has changed drastically since I liked these movies as a teenager.

With that said, I really loved his role as Dr. Robotnik. He was fantastic in that movie. But, even in that, some of his bits went on a bit too long. He reminded me a lot of Rotten Robbie. But, not as good as Rotten Robbie.

I haven't seen most of the others, mainly because he annoys me these days. Which is odd, that he didn't in Sonic.

So, I guess Sonic, then everything else is my list. Minus the ones I haven't seen.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

The Truman Show
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Man on The Moon
    Bruce Almighty
    Me, Myself & Irene

5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    In no particular order other than The Truman Show being the easy #1...
    1. The Truman Show
    2. Dumb & Dumber
    3. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    4. Bruce Almighty
    5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    6. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
    7. Cable Guy
    8. Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
    9. The Mask
    10. Kidding (brilliant TV show)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Sort of. But I choose to list the movies based on how much I enjoyed them when they came out.

Except Truman Show. Which I didn't like when it came out, or more accurately wasn't interested in at the time. But because of Sonic I felt like watching something Jim Carrey related and Truman Show won out. And I thought it was great.

And I voted up Ace Ventura on one premise, if someone asked me to pick out a Jim Carrey movie to represent what a Jim Carrey movie is, then Ace Ventura is the one I would pick.

7. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I don’t think I can pick 10 but I will name the ones I love:

Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Ace Ventura 1 & 2, Man On The Moon, Bruce Almighty, Batman Forever, The Grinch.

And even though this isn’t one of his movies it’s well worth noting: His recurring role as Fire Marshall Bill on In Living Color; one of the best sketches on any TV show.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

And, I choose my favorite movies based on how I like them now, not 20 years ago. Being that my personal taste in movies have changed.

9. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    These are the Jim Carey movies I don't mind watching over and over.

My list ends at 6.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. Me, Myself, and Irene
    3. Liar, Liar
    4. Yes Man
    4. Dumb and Dumber
    5. Dumb and Dumber to
    6. The Cable Guy

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well you have to include, dumb and dumber too from several YRS ago.

11. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    The Truman Show and Liar Liar are my favourites. TTS still gives me the creeps whenever I think about it since I went through a phase in life where I thought everyone I knew were actors...

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Jim Carey is one of those strange ones in that I loved his movies as a child but every time I have revisited one as an adult it has been a disappointing and desperately unfunny experience.

Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind is an incredibly creative and wonderful film even if the main characters would be the kind of self obsessed narcissists you would avoid in real life. Cable guy is fun when watched as a sinister, uncomfortable and claustrophobic horror movie than a comedy. The Truman show was pretty clever and predicted a lot of reality TV so it deserves a lot of credit.

Most of the rest I have tried to revisit have been just straight-up comedies and his sense of humour grates on me nowadays so I certainly wouldn’t recommend them to anyone over about ten years old

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    1. The Truman Show
    2. Man on The Moon
    3. Bruce Almighty
    4. Liar, liar
    5. Yes Man
    6. Dumb And Dumber
    7. Me, Myself & Irene
    8. Batman Forever
    9. The Grinch
    10. The Cable Guy

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    1 The Mask - my top Carrey film, he showcases perfectly the divide between a repressed nice dude and a wacky wild man.

2 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - a stirring performance as a heartbroken guy unable to forget the love of his life, no matter how hard he tries.

3 A Series of Unfortunate Events - he made a great Count Olaf, absolutely hammy and wicked and vile. Wish the films could have expanded like the TV series did.

4 Kidding - though this is actually a TV drama, he provides a wonderful performance of a Mr Rogers-type character who is confronted with the real world.

5 Sonic the Hedgehog - what can I say? He was a fantastic Dr Robotnik.

Couldn't make it to ten. But in any case, he has managed to diversify from the wacky comedy personas of his early career and give talented performances.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

In no particular order:

Once Bitten
    Ace Ventura
    Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls ("Excuse me, your balls are showing. Bumblebee tuna!")
    The Grinch
    Dumb & Dumber
    Me, Myself, and Irene
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Bruce Almighty
    Cable Guy
    Liar Liar

16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I’ve never been a big Jim Carrey fan. I don’t think I can list 10, so I’ll just list the ones I like. I hope I don’t sound like too much of a hipster since I tend to prefer his dramatic work because his comedy just really isn’t for me.

1. Kidding (yes it’s a TV show, but his performance was brilliant in that as a Mr. Rogers kind of character)
    2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    3. The Truman Show
    4. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (which is weird because I don’t really like the first one outside of the scene with the grandmother talking about Dan Marino)
    5. Dumb and Dumber (which I don’t really like that much now, but I thought it was pretty funny when I was a kid).

• Like Like x 1
  17. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Kidding is a good show, but for me its not a show I could watch or would rewatch over and over. Just one and done for me.

18. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

1) Ace 1
    2) Ace 2
    3) Dumb and Dumber
    4) Eternal Sunshine
    5) Me Myself and Irene
    6) Man on the Moon
    7) Liar Liar
    8) Mask
    9) Cable Guy
    10) Truman Show

I haven't watched any of these films in a reeeeally long ass time, so I'm kind of curious how I would rate them after rewatching them now.

I thought Dumb and Dumber To was just awful. Haven't seen Sonic yet.

19. Charlock

Charlock You're no icon.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you've never seen Once Bitten and you like 80s camp, you're in for a treat. It's still one of my all time favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I'm surprised to see the Cable Guy appear in this thread. I always hear so many negative things about that movie I thought I was the only one who actually liked it.

Anyway… in no particular order... except for The Mask which has always been my favorite movie ever since it came out and is the main reason I got into Jim Carrey's movies in the first place making it easily take the number 1 spot.

For 2-10... this is going to be kinda difficult to narrow down what my favorite movies actually are but I'll make an attempt!

Yes Man

Bruce Almighty

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Me, Myself, and Irene (Which by the way is a totally inaccurate portrayal of DID but I still enjoy the movie anyway.)

The Truman Show

Liar Liar

The Cable Guy

Batman Forever

Once Bitten

There are so many other movies I would love to put on this list but if we're limiting it to a top ten I think these are the ones I enjoyed the most.

The only Jim Carrey movies I didn't like are the Number 23 and Kick Ass 2. The first Kick Ass movie was so bad I'm amazed it even got a sequel and even having my favorite actor in there couldn't save the sequel. I literally only watched his scenes and never finished the rest of the movie. The Number 23 could have been good except there was far too much narration in that movie. First rule of film, show don't tell. There's so much freaking narration in that movie it just takes away from actually being able to WATCH the movie and just feels like an audio book.

Haven't actually seen Sonic yet but that will probably end up taking a spot in the top ten.