TOP 5 2020 (Official and Third Party)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by lordcryotek, Dec 8, 2020.

1. chirtman

chirtman S.T.A.R.S

Ebay:
    Hmm..

1.FT Astrotrain
    2.Hasbro Scorponok
    3.Cell Unicron
    4.MP Spinout (great in red)
    5.TE Mirage

lots of nice figures this year, for all collectors tastes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

This year... dang. I got a ton of figures this year compared the last few.

5. Iron Factory Heat Death Transmetal II Megatron
    4. Iron Factory Primal Commander Optimal Optimus
    3. Earthrise Sky Lynx
    2. Core Star Unicron
    1. MMC Helex & Tesaurus/Mors & Tortor

I feel like the #1 is a given for a lot of us who started collecting MMC when they first got serious about IDW original characters. They are fun toys for sure, but fairly no-frills--still, a complete MMC-scale DJD has been a dream for so damn long

• Like Like x 3
  3. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

I bought most of the Earthrise stuff this year and enjoyed them, but I don't think any of them make the cut for top 5. I would put Scorponok and Sky Lynx in the honorable mentions category.

Here's what I think my top 5 are:

1. Fans Toys Thomas: Near perfect in all three modes. Pretty good transformation. Extra hefty. Rare figure that meets exceedingly high expectations.
    [​IMG]

2. G-Creation M. Wrath: Look like a statue in both modes, and weighs like it too at 3 lbs. Has a legit case for number 1 in my book.
    [​IMG]

3. Big Firebird Nicee (car mode pic is OK, right???): I like the looks of this figure in both modes and the robot mode is surprisingly stable in most poses.
    [​IMG]

4. Fans Toys Magnum: Very solid release. Car mode is awesome. Better than FT Spoiler.
    [​IMG]

5. MMC Vexo Prominon: It's a repaint, but nails the Batman look. I love it.
    [​IMG]

Honorable mentions:

MFT Iron Sky: 2nd best Astrotrain available, and is very good in its own right.
    [​IMG]

Magic Square Megatron (the middle one): Magic Square handily wins this one over New Age (left, with new pants) for me.
    [​IMG]

Fans Toys Dunrunner: Good solid Fans Toys release. Relatively simple transformation is appreciated.
    [​IMG]

New Age Scaramanga: Wins the legend scale Soundwave wars for me over Magic Square, but they are pretty close.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Just got Studio Cell Unicron and I think I'll have to bump him up to number one on my list. Just wow.

6. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Well-Known Member

1. DX9 Gabriel, reissue
    2. XTB Gravestone
    3. XTB Toon Trailbreaker
    4. TE Speed Star/ Mirage
    5. FT Thomas

Where does a figure like the 4th Party MP-44 KO 2nd Run fit in? He's pretty good, but for 2021 I have a feeling that KO MP-47 may easily top the QC disaster that was the Official Hound.

• Like Like x 2
  7. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

My turn.

1. MMC Brawl
    2. MMC Tesarus
    3. MMC Helix
    4. FT Astrotrain
    5. ER Skylynx

• Like Like x 3
  8. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

1) FT Thomas
    Quality build, paint, aesthetics. Less fiddly and miserable than the average overengineered FT figure

2) DX9 Menasor (it just finished, as a set)
    I don't remember which ones came out in 2019 or not. Eslecially Capote. But I just bought into this set I'm this year and loved each one. All super poseable, great looks, and a structurally sound/solid combiner.

3) ER Titan-Class Scorponok
    Very well done amd a great homage to the original. Combine this with Fast Track getting a deluxe release and you have a real winner.

4) Cang Toys Landbull.
    This is the one that got me into the Cang Toys set. The zoid-like beast mode, the little tampographs with nimbers/designations and other stuff all over the armor (very zoid or gundam-like), and a great paint job. I can't include their Rampage kn this list because that thing was rough (the breakage issues and something about the colors/head bugs me a little).

Zeta Unicron.
    I don't own this. But it is clearly an engineering marvel. I canceled my Hasbro pre-order planning to get this, then I never did. Maybe down the line, when I'm mostly done with MP amd ready to dive deep into legends-scale

9. tfgato

tfgato Can't wait for the KO!™

My top figure of the year, and this comes from somebody that usually hates SD characters:

IVIIMEE Toys VM-02 Cute Protector Commander

It is such a fun figure, resistant plastic, nicely articulated, superb paint, awesome engineering, and even die-cast parts!, couldn't expect less coming from BA, it is incredible that it can transform into a well-proportioned Cybertronian Jet and look amazing in both modes, he is now the king of my desk.

IMG_20201224_190404.png
    IMG_20201225_203801.png
    IMG_20201225_221609.png

The other 4 in no particular order:
    • UT Dragoon
    • MPM10 Starscream
    • G-Creation M. Wrath
    • Earthrise Scorponok

• Like Like x 4
  10. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

Now that I've had MP-51 for a few days, I think I would insert her into my #3 spot for 2020 ahead of Nicee on this list.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    1. MMC Motif & Mnemo

2. DX9 Capone

3. IVIIMEE Toys VM-02 Cute Protector Commander

4. Toy World Green Hornet

5. UT Dragoon

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why FTs Thomas is so high on many lists. You can’t pose the legs when you turn the waist (and vice versa) because the hip skirts are blocked by the upper body.

My Top 5:

1. Kuro Kara Kuri Star Saber
    2. Kuro Kara Kuri Optimus Prime

Not much to say other than the are near perfect and exactly what I’m looking for in my collectibles. Engineering, paint, materials, range of motion and accessories. I just wished the joint tolerances would be better or they would start to use ratchets, like on the knees of Optimus.

3. FT Magnum

Magnum has everything that makes Fans Toys releases great. Combine that with an enjoyable and straightforward transformation and you got yourself a winner.

4. MMC Volatus

Volatus has a lot of issues: kibble and wonky proportions in the arms, no rotation in his feet and a head that always feels wrong to me. On the other hand he is fun to handle and easy to transform, good materials and good paint applications. Top that with an unobtrusive and well engineered all-in-one combiner gimmick and you get a spot on my top 5 list.

5. MMC Mors

Technically Tortor does everything better than Mors but I just like Mors design and colors better. Again MMC kills it with a fun, intuitive and rewarding engineering. I just wished MMC would stop use the swirly plastic and I don’t see a reason why his toes can not rotate to give him better articulation. Combined with a head whose features look too soft and no ratchets in hips and needs he makes number 5 on my list.

Runner-ups: Siege Nemesis Prime, Earthrise Cliffjumper

Released items that look like top 5 candidates that are not in my hands yet: Kingdom Cyclonus and MMC Mnemo and Motif.

13. Mick h

Mick h Fiery red head tfer

News Credits:
    Honorable mentions: MMC Blast off (So fun to mess with & transform), MMC Swindle, Newage Soundwave, Corbot V Mugger (Alicon legends), Hasbro Alicons

5: Iron factory Optimal Optimus

4: FT Magnum

3: MMC Tortor/Mors (Can't decide)

2: FT Astrotrain

1: Magic Square Megatron

• Like Like x 1
  14. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1) Thomas. If anyone has grabbed this it will most likely break into their top 5. Granted I stand firm that as Fantastic as it was at the $220 price I got it for I wouldn't pay the stupid price it's commanding now.
    2) TE mirage. A lot of really great figure for what was a nostalgic price. Car bots at $60, yes please!
    3) FT Quietus, I was late to the party and didn't get totally stung by the price. Just a really great figure in hand.
    4) MP 19+ Smokescreen. Same as above, picked him up early this year but was actually a 2019 release. I never had the original so always wanted a version of him. Looks perfect on the shelf next to the + versions of the Datsuns and the paint really pops. I don't think I'll ever want another version of this character, it's perfect.
    5) TF crossover Gigawatt. I knows it's a retool and I know it's not a fancy fanstoys or Takara MP but damn from the box to the transformation and details this guy is just brilliant on a shelf and in hand. What's crazy is I've nabbed phoenix, Cesium and even a few other fanstoys/XTB figures this year and all take a backseat to Gigawatt lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

Aawd Lahndan Taaaahn...more specifically, Chiswick