Toon Accurate Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Korgunaard, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MFT's dinos definitely are not MP scale - they're basically Deluxes.
    Most of MFT's stuff is classed as Legends + (ie: slightly larger than other Legends scale figures) and these are made in that same scale.
    Side by side comparison with the original DX9 figures (photo thanks to @CVprowl)
    [​IMG]
    They are way too small for an in-scale MP collection on their own, but honestly, I may consider using them for alt mode display next to FT's Dibots
    I display both alt and bot modes in my MP collection, but for some characters, I actually use smaller and cheaper figures for the alt mode display.
    ie: I custom painted some G1 Insecticon toys (KO's of course) in nice glossy toon paint jobs and they are surprisingly toon accurate, and all three cost about half of one of FT's bugs.
    I have a set of the JinBao OS KO's of the Aerial bots which with a little paint will make pretty toon accurate jet modes
    I'm contemplating picking up a Siege Jet/Skyfire to clean and paint up for a Skyfire alt mode

And earlier in the year I picked up a KO set of G1 Dinobot's which I was going to paint up into toon paint jobs for alt modes next to my FT Dibots. But even with a proper toon paint job, they aren't quite up to snuff toon accuracy wise.
    MFT also did these in a toon paint job, and they might actually make better alt mode Dino's. The 5 x FT Dibots are glorious but massive and expensive. Having both bot and alt modes would take up a crazy amount of space, and cost a fortune. Using toon painted MFT DIno's standing next to their larger FT Bot mode compatriot's is a possible solution.
    [​IMG]

2. Calidus

Calidus Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry. My mistake

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    As much as I want them I can't see Takara giving us a complete cast of Dinobots, at least not for another 30 years with their current rate of releases. I can picture a Grimlock v2 as he's the leader, and a big enough character outright, but even that could be a long way off. I wonder if Fanstoys would ever revisit the dinobots (or any of their other early releases) to fit with the cartoon direction that the official line has taken and that they themselves now follow. Their dinobots, Shockwave, Perceptor etc all seem like good figures (though I've never owned them) but I wonder if they'd be willing to do what Takara have done and revisit characters as time goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chirulazo

Chirulazo Well-Known Member

I would be curious to see TTs effort on Grimlock V2, specially what choices they make for the alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:

What?

6. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

No way! The only way ill ever buy another set of mp dinos is if they have their own ai and can transform themselves on command!

7. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I'm not really a fan of the yellow and white instead of the gold and silver chromed pieces. The matte finish takes away from the "robot"-ness of the metallic finishes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tk7261

tk7261 Well-Known Member

I would love this. I thought the same thing. And I looked up custom painted toon color MP Grimlock pictures so many times. I would love all the dinobots to be done in a style like that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Takara decided to do Cartoon accurate Dinobots, sure. If a third party company did...maybe. There are so many other figures I would like to see in Masterpiece form, that it would be a tough sell for me to double dip on Dinobots again.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If Fanstoys re-released their Dinobots with white and yellow instead of all that chrome I'd be there in an instant.

In fact I'd double up for the Movie shelf and sell my current set so....

tenor (18).gif

Tbf I've considered doing it myself, I did give Soar a white pair of wings instead of his silver set and thy looked good just gonna be more time consuming to de-chrome the rest to paint.

• Like Like x 1
  11. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And three years ago I'd have been right there with ya. :) 

12. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a Takara MP Grimlock 2.0 in the current slavish toon look would kickstart if not a new set of 3P Dino's, at least toon repaints of the current ones.

Takara, you're our only hope!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes if they look like the animation models

a transforming version of Super7 Ultimates Grimlock basically

14. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Dinobots are a bit of a “open interpretation” grey area. I would love more Toon accurate, less panel lines, versions of the Dinobots, but I definitely do not want yellow and white paint. I see the yellow and white as more of a budgetary restraint than actual desired color. The yellow of Dinobots and insecticons are supposed to be representations of translucent gold. I don’t want it solid yellow anymore than I would want all the Autobot windshields to be painted a solid baby blue or seeker tummies to be painted a solid amber.

would DEFINITELY prefer gold paint rather than all the gaudy chrome. In my display, I have FT Dibots for dinosaur mode and the Studio Series Leaders for robot mode. Lol

15. Korgunaard

Korgunaard Well-Known Member

There are already multiple options for people that don’t want yellow, gray, white colors.

And as far as budgetary constraints, that’s every character in the entire show.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  16. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Multiple options, but none are toon. Giga is overloaded with superfluous details and Fanstoys is based on MP08. There isn’t a mp set based on the toon look.

I think you missed my point on budget constraints. My point was they should still use gold/amber parts, not yellow. If MP44 came out with a solid blue windshield chest, fans would scream bloody murder… despite it being “toon accurate”. You have to allow some realistic interpretations in designing something from a 2 dimensional budget drawing into a premium 3D collectible or else you just get a laughably cheap looking Super7 figurine. Takara and Fanstoys have shown they can do this.

I would LOVE Fanstoys to do a remold of the Dibots with simpler lines, their metal fleck paint, amber metal fleck paint instead of gold chrome, and a few tiny changes to make them more in line with the cartoon (ability to lower Grinder’s shoulders, and toon accurate helmet for example).

That would get me to double dip on Dinobots.

17. Korgunaard

I got your point, there are plenty of us that want the toon colors. Ultimately it is all subjective as to what looks better to us.

18. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't. Give me more Sunbow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Korgunaard

Exaclty! Me too. I hate clear windshields on transformers. You can often see all the robot bits through them, and to me that is unsightly.

20. werewolfspice

werewolfspice Bat Chain Puller

Ebay:
    I remember there was a wishlist thread maybe a year ago, maybe even two, where I made a post talking about how I wanted fans toys to update their Dinobots. But I’d love to see anybody take a new stab at them. I don’t personally need something super toon, and I don’t need something super real, just something interesting and modern looking (which would hopefully split the difference in a creative way).

• Like Like x 1