Toon Accurate Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Korgunaard, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perhaps replacing the clear pieces with a painted metallic yellow would an interesting change.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

An upscale of the legends Dino’s to MP size at a good price point would be all I’d need to sell off my Gigas(which I love but aren’t really nailing the toon aesthetic of the other MPs).

• Like Like x 2
  3. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    I dream of this....maybe a Takara MP v2.0 is our only hope?
    AB34622A-DB69-4B59-A776-95BEA894ACF7.png

• Like Like x 3
  4. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Count me in as well on a cartoon accurate set of DinoBots. I've been so tempted to strip down my FT set and repaint them in toon colours but there's such a massive investment tied up in them that I'm kind of scared to. I love the thick glossy blue and red paint contrasting with a rich thick glossy yellow. Gold chrome is kind of meh for me and the horrible smoked transparent is just terrible.
    I'd be happy for FT to do a toon repaint of their set, even happier if they did a whole new re-design like Seaspray.

If Takara continues to do more G1 MP's and they look at more than just a few random characters, then I can imagine they would one day get to a full set of DinoBots - and they'd definitely do them in the toon aesthetic. They'd look amazing, but Takara have all but priced me out of their figures. $350 each for a set of 5 figures, released over a 3 or 4 year period, is just not that appealing for me. $1500 plus, for a set of Dino's, is too much. The only good aspect of a Takara effort is that they would be guaranteed to get a KO making them affordable for those who want them.

This just looks amazing to me:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    I can't tell you how disappointed I was that FT ruined a damn near perfect Sludge with a disgusting clear plastic neck. I wanted an alternate neck for Stomp as much as I wanted an alt head for Grimlock. Maybe more. Just re-doing that dino neck in gold chrome would be a thousand times better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well There is likely more people who look at the clear plastic as what the characters would look like if they were real robots - sort of like the difference between the cartoon and non-cartoon front bumper on inferno.

Options is always nice though, I don't think most of their customers thought it was ruined. But they have a hard choice to make do they make a MP like toy that is like an update of the original toy - do they simplifiy it so it looks almost like a pop vinyl in terms of colouring, or do they sit somewhere in the middle and end up pleasing no one. I guess the best thing to do is to some degree do the extremes - but I thought some recent 3rd party versions of Trailbreaker were TO EXTREME in the cartoon manner with grey plastic and white plastic it is very much a totally different thing you are collecting though when the look of a toy is VERY cartoon that becomes "a representations of the character in animation" and not an idealised version of the original toy, or one that give a realisitic bent on a design (such as realistic car modes on car Transformers).

I see some 3rd parties try to put a realistic car mode on an animation like robot mode and sometimes it just ends up looking "Strange". Cartoon Collecting is kinda backwards looking in it's Nostalgia - and stuck in that 2 or 3 year niche, were as other ideas might push it to far and loose the likeness of the character entirely (Fansproject / Mastermind Creations).

I'd certainly NEVER consider paying a premium price for a car transformer with blanked out car windows for example. as for Dinobots. I like them to have a clear chest window - the use of solid black paint on the Small DX-9 reissue's chests to me looks weird. As does to much silver paint on ones supposed to look cartoony..

It's a tricky question though - and I don't think you will ever get people to agree on things like if Optimus' legs should be silver, white or grey.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    I could see Takara releasing a Hypertoon Grlmlock and then some 3P filling in the rest again. Would I replace FansToys Dibots? I don’t know I would need to see them to decide! Definitely maybe :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Korgunaard

Korgunaard Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct in that this matter is subjective. But, and a big but here, those of you that want more toy accurate colors already have a plethora of options. Those of us that want toon have none. Let us at least dream about getting our perfect dinobots huh?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Korgunaard

I was kind of hoping the same thing. Takara make the definitive toon Grimlock this inspiring third party to fill in the rest. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

My nostalgia always seemed to prefer the toy versions of the dinobots, so the clear parts, silver and chrome all work for me. I appreciate the idea of toon colors cause, I'm also a fan of the genre. But I never thought toon colors would appeal to me before I saw this repaint.

That looks really good.

11. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I would LOVE Takara to do all 5 in the span of a year or two. They really slowed down their releases though...

Maybe all they would do is Grimlock, I'm not sure?

• Like Like x 1
  12. JET7

JET7 Well-Known Member

Sofubi like? IMG_20190920_122730_700.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there’s no telling what Takaras long term plan is. Given they included that Lion guy from the Japanese only Beast Was sequel series, it’s safe to say that at least some of their ongoing regular releases will not be main series G1 or mainframe BW MP, we’ll see probably at least one a year who’s a “fan favourite” and outside the remit of those two. (and yes I know that lion guy was technically BW but he’s a totally different audience from the mainframe stuff). I would expect them to continue with G1 and Mainframe BW stuff but at least one a year will be an “out of continuity” character like Ginrai or other Japanese only stuff. Given that, the slowdown in releases, amping up in prices etc its highly doubtful Takara will give anything close to a complete G1 MP collection. They couldn’t even manage a season 1 collection after more than 50 MP releases. For Dino’s we may get a Grimlock V2 but I’m skeptical of the rest ever appearing from Takara. And given how popular FT’s are and the alt option of GP, I doubt anyone else will bother with MP Dino’s.

14. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

I'm in the group of people prefer Giga's dinobots to Fanstoys' versions, and I know they're not perfect. Since we have these two fantastic sets I don't think we'll need another set for a good 5-7 years; and when they do come, I'd prfer them to follow these guidelines -
    - Updated Toon Sculpt, updated like MP-44 and as clean as TE-01
    - Be as big as Superator
    - The base colors would be metallic gradients, AKA achieve cellshading with metallic paint
    - Be as posable as MP-44 is compared to MP-10, to Superator

• Like Like x 1
  15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Would take this all day everyday. Have wanted toon Dinobots since the beginning when FTs Slag dropped. At this point though, after already owning the full set, I don't think I could rebuy them though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FiveThousand

FiveThousand Well-Known Member

Definitely want this. The matte finish and panel lines work great for the dinobots.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Calidus

Calidus Member

As far as I know, MechFansToys is actually doing a set of those dx9 dinobots, except upscaled to mp/chug scale. However, they are still straight kos, so that might not be for some people...
    anyway Emgo316 has done reviews of two of them. I'm not sure if they are still continuing the set though.
    here's snarl's review

18. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

The reason why I don't own any MP style Dinobots anymore is because a toon version does not exist.

The only hope is TT really, and yes yes yes, the price won't be pretty.

Sold my FT and Giga set a while back and I don't miss them at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Giga Slag sits at my work desk.

20. Korgunaard

I am glad I am not the only person that has been wanting toon accuarte dinobots. Hope some companies take notice of this thread.