Toon Accurate Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Korgunaard, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Korgunaard

Korgunaard Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has ever been brought up here, but would anyone else really enjoy a set of Masterpiece scale toon colored dinobots?

I know that is what kept me from ever going in on any of the previous sets. They are all great in their own ways, they just never did anything for me personally. The closest thing that has been released so far would be the legends scale DX9 dinobots in terms of aesthetic. But I'd like that color scheme and toon accuracy done at a MP scale.

dx9.jpg
    Just wondering if I am alone in this or if there are others of you out there that would enjoy something like this.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Most definitely would not be interested.

What FansToys accomplished is pretty much perfect.

The cartoon was modeled after the toys, afterall. A lot of the white and silver you see were supposed to be chrome. The ugly yellows on the dinobots were attempting the mimic the gold chrome.

I admit some of the more hyper toon accurate recolors/designs look pretty nice (Sunstreaker, Wheeljack etc) and then there is the super ugly like the new Bumblebee coming out.

The G1 cartoon Dinobots were definitely ugly.

• Like Like x 10
  4. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope.. not in the slightest.

EDIT: I should be clear. This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Korgunaard

See I feel the exact opposite way. I was trying to keep the thread nice and respect everyone's subjective point of view. But I think the toy color scheme is an eye sore. It's like they are wearing way too much jewelry with the flashy gold and chrome.

This is completely subjective, and neither way is the correct way. Just try to understand that I think what you like is as ugly to me as what you think of my preferred aesthetic.

• Like Like x 7
  6. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I’m good. FT did it for me. With two sets being completed and almost completed, I think most MP collectors are done or pretty damn close. I don’t see how a new set would be good enough for people to buy, especially with some people having to sell the set they have already.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I’d be in for a toon grimlock and slag for sure. And not repaints. Like, toon designs from the ground up. No chrome.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Korgunaard

That is exactly what I am talking about! Yeah I wish someone would take a crack at them. I mean even just Grimlock would be nice, but the whole team would be awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    I would at the very least like to see a Grimlock that sticks closer to the cartoon. With stuff like an articulated tail, robot chest hidden away, dino arms that aren't just sticks, a dino head that has more then the most basic of swivels....you know. Something more than just yet another MP-08 variant. :lol  None of the options have felt like they actually wanted to do something new.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Korgunaard

I agree. I think the current offerings did an excellent job recreating the toy as a masterpiece but did very little to bring the characters from the screen to life. The dinobots in their dino mode offered by Fanstoys and everyone else are very static. Hardly any dynamic articulation at all.

I am hopeful that Takara at least takes a crack at a v2.0 Grimlock in the future. I'd also love to see swoop, as he was my favorite. Ahh who am I kidding. I want them all in toon colors and awesome articulation in dino mode!

11. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love to get MP Dinobo that actually look like they do in the show. I still remember how much of a let down the actual toys were when I saw them as a kid at a toy store: ugly grey with those transparent parts that made them look cheap and pale chrome that was a far cry from the cool contrast of the yellow and grey of the toon. Gold chrome is eye catching, yes, but not the same. I would get repaints like these from FT or Giga in a heartbeat:

DSC01139sm.jpg DSC01138sm.jpg DSC01163sm.jpg custom-transformers-comic-style_1_acdb250f783ba8a38f36e986b9d8a3e8.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  12. qemuel

qemuel It's a trick. Get an axe.

I purchased the DX9 legends-sized Dinobots a couple Chrismas's back for my fiancée who loves the Dinobots but feels uneasy around my GP and FT (MP-scaled) Dinobots (she's terrified of my FT Omega Supreme). I was pleasantly surprised when she opened them and we started messing around with them, as they are gorgeous and extremely toon accurate (which worked out great since she prefers the cartoon versions).

I would 100% purchase a toon-styled MP-scaled Grimlock (as we've amassed a small Grimlock army) and would seriously consider the rest of the crew once he was in hand.

13. Korgunaard

Those repainted are amazing. I would love something like that.

14. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO **WHiNiNG.FOOLS.BE.GONE.!.!!!**

15. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    No thanks. I’m rather have the aesthetic before the hyper toon craze.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chris C137

Chris C137 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah count me in for G1 toon MP dinobots. I've no doubt there'd be people complaining if it happened, but realistically we've already had an official MP Grimlock with an updated, detailed toy aesthetic. Then Fanstoys came and applied that aesthetic to the rest of the Dinobots. Then Giga came along and added 5x more greebles and detailing. What we haven't had are MP level toon based representations of the Dinobots. Ever. So there should be no problem if someone (please Takara) decides to produce that, because those that don't want it, already have their perfect versions of them from FT or Giga. So let those of us who want toon versions have our ideal dinobots also :) 

• Like Like x 4
  17. Korgunaard

Yes, thank you! There are tons of options for those that don’t want a toon look but no options for those of us that do. I really hope it’s Takara that finally does this but I’m willing to buy them from any company that makes a good looking offer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

It would be a perfect opportunity for Takara to do them. I fear what they would cost though.

There is something about Grimlock’s toon model that I really like, and I think Sludge’s toon Dino mode would look cool too as an MP.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Korgunaard

Yeah most certainly wouldn’t be cheap. Probably around $300, but it just seems like prices are going up on all figures in general from all companies. I mean it’s not like fan favorite Fans Toys is all that cheap either.

20. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I want Dinobots made by KFC!

• Like Like x 1