Tonyformers unoffical gripe list for TLK.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tonyformer, Jun 21, 2017.

1. davidargile

davidargile Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I've read and seen in reviews so far. Can someone answer me the damn question of what the friggin point was a writes room thing for if by the sounds of it Bay can override it and the writing still makes no sense, which results in this mess of a film

2. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I deliberately lowered my standards for this movie, because I knew it was gonna be bad. And it WAS bad, but in a guilty pleasure sort of way so I walked out thinking it was ok.

But I do have some gripes.

- Felt rushed, even for a TF movie
    - Lots of robots coming and going
    - Obvious sequel hooks were a bit eye-rolling
    - Surprisingly low Autobot body count

Honestly it felt like watching ROTF, but I wasn't cringing the whole way through.

3. goudan

goudan Bumblebee all the way

News Credits:
    They really should focus on one story and make it logical.

4. FirestormBlizzard

FirestormBlizzard No. 1 Jazz Fan

I think they were too lazy to add Scorn and Strafe to the movie lol.

Although many people insist Mini-Strafe and Strafe appear for a very short scene.

5. FirestormBlizzard

FirestormBlizzard No. 1 Jazz Fan

I will be seeing it in about 4 hours.

Haven't seen the film yet, but I think they had to kill Edmund Burton off so they could include Cogman and his abilities in the future as part of the Autobot team.

6. ClatterShards

ClatterShards Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing the movie and I just have to say that the writers massively failed to make this the best 5th Transformers movie that could have been on par with DOTM & AOE.

They put too many different plots into the story, have small baby dinobots show up out of nowhere, have the other bigger dinobots show up out of nowhere when we should have seen them along side Grimlock in the junkyard, not immediately have the three boys get killed as soon they got deeper into the area(yes I know Hasbro/writers wouldn't allow it but it pissed me off that those damn brats got away scott free while some Cybertronian neutral gets killed because they had gotten the attention of the TRF), Barricade shows up in his awesome car/alt design but only to become irrelevant to the plot and have short screen time, the wannabe suicide squad was immediately killed off quickly and I am a bit ticked that Onslaught got killed so easily as I was expecting him to at least last until the end of the movie, When I first saw Megatron's design for TF5 I couldn't wait to see how he will be portrayed in the film but after the movie I wish the writers would have stuck Megatron with his AOE design all the while still having his memories but still a completely new character, while it was interesting at first to have a evil being like Quintessa/Primus be willing to kill off Earth/Unicron in order to rebuild itself it was way too much of a in your face out of nowhere plotline among a sea of other plotlines for a too fast-paced compacted movie.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that while Bay may be the director and can have the power to change stuff in the storyline I lay almost or either half the blame on the writers because this movie is just a huge incoherent mess that makes ROTF look like a five star masterpiece in comparison.:mad: 

There was a lot problems in this movie that outweighed any good things in the movie that I wish I could find in order to make this film half redeemable but alas I can't. I will admit though that I did enjoy seeing that three headed dragon in action was awesome and the brief butt-whooping that Optimus had gotten from the Knights while waiting for his demise by there hand.

7. badbot98

badbot98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PREACH!

8. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked the movie but if felt like rotf all over again. The Last Knight should be The Last Time...hasbro/paramount need to reboot and start over fast while they still can.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was no sense of a writer's room. At least not from the standpoint of this movie.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Soca Taliban

Soca Taliban Well-Known Member

Tonyformer, I couldn't have said it better myself. The inconsistencies at beyond annoying. Few more points..........

Why do we even need autobots to fight, just send Bee, he's pretty much invincible. smdh

In DOTM, we see Megs take an axe to the head and that pretty much ends his life. In TLK, Optimus takes an axe direct in the back from one of the knights and it doesn't even seem to leave a scratch. wtf???

When OP shows up and takes Merlin's staff, the TRF unload their weapons in him and he just shrugs it off, blasts them away and walks off. Those same weapons have much more of an effect on Megatron.

Why the f*** do we need to see Cogman fishing to make a dinner for Cade's date as they descend in the sub?? like whyyyy, whhhy tbe hell is that even in the movie?

In the final battle, where the hell did OP fly off to and what was he doing for so long before showing up later??

Humans seem to be upgrading their tech abs weaponry to kill and capture transformers, yet the transformer don't seem to be upgrading any of their defensive mechanisms.....wtf??? they have technologies far superior to ours yet can't seem to avoid death by humans. I mean for goodness sake, they had technology that could blow up a got damn sun, slow down time, travel across galaxies, yet can't survive high impact projectiles???

11. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    No offense Tony, but you've lost me at saying the human cast just sucked. Sure, it's your opinion, but I find it too dismissive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt the movie, while I enjoyed it, was a homage to the four films. You can easily see beats of the movie similar to previous four films.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

To be fair, Megatron pretty much easily shrugged off the weapons. Almost as if they were only a minor annoyance. I like that. Though I agree about the bloody fish scene, especially the events that unfolded before Cogman showed up. What, did Bay want to prove that he could do fanservice with men or something? God I hated that scene.

I wouldn't say the Decepticons are dead. Despite being just heads, they showed they were still very much alive. Though it was disappointing to see them get brushed aside so easily. As for Quintessa, I'm pretty much convinced that she's a genderbend of Quintus Prime. I mean they have similar designs, both despise Unicron, both are creators, etc. Once I realized that, it became very understandable why she wants Unicron dead. After all it seems that she doesn't care if Cybertron is restored or not, her only goal is to kill Unicron.

14. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you on all these points, and more.

Sometimes people describe these movies as "guilty pleasure." For me, it's "unrequited hope." I keep hoping these movies are going to be better, and they keep hoping I show up to support them. It's a vicious cycle, and I'm ashamed to admit I keep coming back. I really want to like these films.

I'm also a fan of Michael Bay, even though I hate his take on Transformers. I saw Bad Boys in the theater when I was 14, and have been a fan ever since. The Rock was amazing. Then I heard he was making a movie about space, starring my favorite action hero Bruce Willis! I was pretty amped.
    Armageddon was my first major disappointment with Michael Bay. Ever since then, I've struggled with his work. Bad Boys 2 is my favorite Bay film, and 13 Hours was really good. But for the most part, he's done a lot of poorly structured, poorly written, poorly executed films. I still enjoy TF1, although the rest of the series has far too many issues to list in one post.

A few new takeaways for me this time around:
    The CGI has gotten progressively "cartoony" in tone, color, motion, etc. Besides a few cool shots of cars & trucks, the whole concept of scale has gone out of the window. TF1 felt like actual cars, trucks, and jets transforming into robots. By this point, the animators seem more concerned with making the images easier for the eye to follow, and less concerned about realism. That was TF1's strongest element: the realism. By now, alt modes & transformations are either afterthoughts or carefully-placed advertisements.
    ROTF is when Bay began to slip into what he probably thought was fan-service: More robot dialogue, details, and action. Yet he used stereotypes, poorly timed humor, and bad innuendo to add "character" to his plots. And some of the "plots" seem like they're straight out of a G1 episode.. which is bad. Those were not written to become billion dollar mega-franchises. They were written to sell a few toys, and the writers did not expect such a legacy to take shape. That was 1985, this is 2017. These movies should be better. We have the technology, we have the smarts.. C'mon, we're better than this!

So did I hate the movie? No way. It was fun, and definitely worth a few hours of my time, considering the hype. I am a Transformers fan, after all.

But was it a bad movie? Absolutely. And we deserve so much better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good rant. Here's my thoughts.

I didn't know anyone had said this, so I didn't go in expecting to see it, so I wasn't let down that I didn't see it.

Chicago. That still looms large over everything that's happened since.

That would be nice to know. Who are all the other captives? They aren't Cybertronians, are they? I remember some lizard creature with a long tongue making Tessa uncomfortable in AOE.

Once you do the "fate of the Earth hangs in the balance" plot, it's hard to lower the stakes back down in subsequent installments. My personal theory is Quintessa lied about everything; she isn't a true Prime, not the Prime of Life, just some kind of living cancer or parasite that can put the whammy on Transformers. I'm sure the truth of her will get touched on, or further muddled, in the next one.

That would explain some things. I like it.

I was more miffed that he didn't take on the traditional Nemesis Prime color scheme.

Somebody's going to come up with a kickass explanation that ties all of that together and makes sense. (Shame it won't be any of the writers.)

I didn't notice until somebody pointed it out, so I guess I didn't give a shit.

What was with that one guy who kept showing up? The nerd who wanted to nuke the ignition room. Did he even get a name? Somebody with that much dialogue and that many scenes and nothing? But I liked Vivianne.

Did stuff and were cooler because they didn't speak. They were mysterious and more terrifying because they were just killing machines. I think I prefer that over the inane patter and posturing of Nitro and Mohawk.

He served his purpose. He blew up the gun emplacement that they needed blown up for... reasons...

That would have been nice. One of my biggest complaints.

Yeah, bringing in the Dinobots was a mistake. Once you have guys that big and powerful on your side, what's the problem with anything?

16. ShockRod

ShockRod Well-Known Member

News Credits:

OK, so I get that you're more than disappointed in this movie. But maybe take a step back for a sec and look at it from a different angle:

We had a fairly strong start to the franchise with TF1, but no one KNEW that it would be a success, so was almost written as a standalone film. We got where the Transformers came from, how they were created and a backstory about the war. It wraps itself up while leaving it open for a second movie.
    ROTF apparently suffered from the writers strike (which it possibly did, but none of the TF films have had amazing scripts or stories except for TF1), so started to screw things up.
    DOTM also had some issues and things they either didn't explain, or weren't very well executed.
    AOE was just poor, and tries to shift the direction of the franchise to bring in more historical events to introduce the Dinobots.

Now we have a writers room, trying to undo 3 movies worth of poor story telling (I'll exclude the first because it's the first), while setting up a universe, introduce new characters, make a shorter movie (as it always gets slammed for being too long), and tie together the previous movies.
    That's a BIG ask! I don't think the writers of this movie and the upcoming universe can be blames for not managing to make everything make sense. Maybe this is their idea of a soft reboot. Take the main characters, the basic framework and build from there.

I haven't seen it yet, but am going on Sunday. I have read pretty much all of the spoilers as I don't get 'spoiled' by knowing plot points or endings. I can know everything about it and still enjoy how the points connect. I think one of the big problems is this place. We spend so much time speculating, we often piece together a much more interesting story in our heads. That doesn't mean that it would work in real life. Again, a two and a half hour movie needs to fit everything in, while not JUST appealing to the Transformers fanbase.

You said in a later post "I hope I'm not being too harsh? But I really feel this movie didn't offer anything new."

If that's how you personally feel... no, you're not being too harsh. Why cover up how you feel about it?

However, many of your issues are from things not being explained. Maybe they just haven't been YET. They are trying to make a universe that DOES make sense from a franchise that doesn't. It's too short a time to fit in a story while tying up all of the loose ends.

I don't have high hopes for it, and from the spoilers; they've made some odd choices - but I'm not expecting EVERYTHING to make sense.
    The only way to even try and fit in that much info, would be to have a hyperactive robot give someone the 'lowdown' on everything that's happened - speak REALLY fucking fast and fill in all of the blanks as if it was just an explosion of information.
    I'd like to think that everything FROM this movie will make sense, but not necessarily that it will correct the past movies.

I hope we can all watch this on BluRay and enjoy it for what it is, rather that our overly high expectations for the franchise.

I don't think people will agree with me, and that's their choice - it's a shame when things aren't as good as you hope they'll be.

I watched the Ragin Nation video where he says he deserves the hate he's getting for his negativity. No he doesn't. Everyone should be completely honest with how they feel about things. I'm just looking at things from a different perspective.
    When I saw Alex getting upset about it, I really did feel for him. Which is weird, because I'm usually quite cynical and cold. If you TOLD me he got upset, I'd have said "oh FFS, it's just a film". Transformers IS just a film, but the time and investment he made in reporting on that film, only for it to be a huge disappointment, is really sad. If you don't like it - that's 'fine'. It's sad, but you can't help how you feel. I just hope we can all start to look at these new movies as their own series, and not try to include the other movies.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    My gripes -

- Transformers-related-to-human-history aspect feels too contrived and implausible
    - No Autobots die
    - Decepticons are useless

I also didn't like the Decepticon characterisation, they sounded like a gang of lowlife, neighbourhood thugs. Why can't they be sophisticated, intelligent but twisted, and extremely powerful psychopaths?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShockRod

ShockRod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah i watched a clip from a cinema on YouTube where Mohawk speaks - he sounds like one of the twins. Not great.
    That's what they do in these movies though. I think that's the difference between movies and cartoons / comics - cartoons and comics aren't afraid to have strong enemies. Decepticons are the War Machines of the TF world, so I'd have loved Shockwave and Soundwave to be more smart than powerful. I'd love decepticon tacticians, smart, sneaky fighters, assassins. Rather than just brawlers.

19. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok my view.. When the scene with Baricade was talking to Megatron about the staff i thought yes its going to be great i was hoping for more internations with robots... But it didnt happen the next closet one was Megatron and Nitro taking the staff away from Prime..

The kids played no purpose towards the story and should of been cut.. Also i noticed all the scenes that was filmed in Newcastle didnt even make it into the film.. Also bits of the trailers that wasnt in the film..

I was Angry about how the Cons died so easy.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the film for what it was. A special effects filled blockbuster. After a decade we should know what to expect at this stage.

I still think TF2 is the worst. I never understood how people blame the writer's strike for that one. How did the writer's strike actually affect the writing of the movie?

Even if they had to get different, cheaper writers, would they not have some pride in their work? If I told my family I wrote that movie, I'd be embarrassed as hell when they saw the annoying Leo and the Twins.

Also, with the money spent on these films, how does any designer justify robots like Que, the Twins, Brains, Frenzy and Drift? Muppet eyes, hair and buck teeth on robots? Eff off!!

The biggest problem since TF2 is the forced, unfunny humour. Tf1 was genuinely funny while still coming across as dramatic sci fi apart from Simmons who I forgave in Tf2 and 3 but dislike again after Last Knight.

Overall I enjoyed the Last Knight. I watched it this afternoon but there's still too much unfunny humour. I've never seen a film where Anthony Hopkins made me cringe. Isabella was annoying and there was too much time trying to make Cogman funny.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Hot Rod's French accent didn't annoy me as I normally hate accents on Transformers. At least they gave some kind of reason for it inferring it was a glitch of some sort.

I thought Mohawk would annoy me more but I realised his bot form was kind of reptilian not a robotic Muppet like Brains.

I liked Quintessa, Barricade and Megatron. Cade and Vanessa were likeable. I preferred Bumblebee's voice in this to TF1. As for Prime saying he hadn't heard it since Cybertron, maybe we can excuse him as he had just shaken off brainwashing.