Tokyo Toy Show Transformers Panel Roundup - Unite Devastator, MP Optimus Primal, Iron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Just to confirm by the way TT Black Convoy and Micron Megatron are officially out now right?

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^^+ 1 and this ! your post.. it speaks to me profoundly. :cry :

3. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Are the other combiner wars combined forms supposed to be stable enough for kids to play with? Menasor doesn't seem to be, I have to be very careful how I move the legs.

Many years ago, when Bandai America started downsizing and simplifying the Bandai Japan Super Sentai toys (instead of just stripping paint apps and diecast from them), I stopped collecting them, not really understanding how it saved them money to make brand new molds for just the American market. But those things still seem to fly off the shelves, so I guess they did something right.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    maybe because the toy culture over in the US is just that.. 'toys'.. not super-complex and beautifully made collectibles. In Japan, after visiting most local departmental stores, convenience stores etc, it becomes so painfully obvious that the concept of ''toy culture'' is an entirely different thing, and seems to be more acceptable among the general Japanese population, and heck- not to mention over here in Asia where we are.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    In Japan, birth rate is even lower than before. If it seems that TakaraTomy is catering to collectors....it's because they're the only target demographic they can really make money off of. It's been that way for years but even moreso now. It's different from America where here, there's way more kids/parents than collectors.

I think the Hasbro mindset is "will this sell regardless of what it's missing compared to a Japanese release that the average kid here might not even know about nor care to look up while playing on his phone or tablet? If the answer is yes, then who cares what it lacks compared to the Japanese release?".

By what it's sounding like, it does seem that Yuki had more time to add stuff to Unite Warriors Devastator since CW Devastator had a summer/fall launch date.

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^Totally agree with your view, Shin. :D 

But just to add, that -don't forget that Takaratomy is also acknowledging the fact that Asia is also a viable market source for positive sales as well.

As such, they are also thinking of always catering to the needs of other adult collectors in the region. UW Devastator is a really prime example of the willingness and passion / commitment to that promise.

They realize that they can't compete with other toy juggernauts like Bandai Japan on Gunpla sales, so Takara's designers have to specialize in modifying and improving their aesthetics of their toys.

Oh..and to people who mentioned that Hasbro/ Takaratomy uses the same moulds and factories... yeah, you can definitely say that this is not the case anymore. Future releases will eventually be different from Hasbro's offerings.

7. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Well, I for one am happy that I have enough disposable income to afford importing all these fantastic figures.

Thank you Takara. Thank you.

8. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They don't read the comics, but they watch the cartoon. My nephew has seen every G1 TF episode. I haven't even done that and I own all of them on DVD. Imagine when you were a kid if you could watch EVERY episode of the show you loved. With streaming now you can watch anything you want whenever. He has Metroplex (again, I don't even have him, I didn't like him that much, but I digress) and I would be money he's getting Devastator.

I just think you're wrong. Obviously it all depends on people's families and what they make for a salary, but that's not really that bad for what you're getting. A frigging huge toy that splits into 6 other guys. Lots of kids have Metroplex and he's 1/2 the toy that Devastator is. This guy isn't exclusive to anywhere, he will be on sale, and will be a huge toy for the latter half of this year.

How would that even work, it's not the same transformation at all. His head goes onto his arm.

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    :lol  right back atcha! :D 

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus A Prime a day keeps the doctor away

News Credits:
    Kids who have seen the original cartoon are a minority. Most kids don't even know Transformers existed before RID 2015 or Beast Hunters or the movies.

11. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

To be fair however kids who have watched TF Prime and TF RID will know some of the characters. I'm pretty sure anyone who's seen TF Prime knows Wheeljack at the very least.
    Essentially then each company is targeting the larger demographic then right while still acknowledging the smaller one right? I mean TF Adventure would certainly be a more child oriented line yet they're putting in figures that are more collector oriented. On the other hand CW is more collector oriented yet the figures are pretty darn kid friendly.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So... Any idea why AE and HLJ don't have preorders for TAV-21 and beyond? It just seems odd with them being released next month. I don't even think AE got orders for 19-20...

13. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    S'cuse me, but what's AE?

14. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Anime Export

15. Patto Prime

Patto Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why does MP Ironhide not have his own thread?

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    yeah, the new Leader Class Prime toy should be available by now!

17. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would consider doing a Matty collector type of deal (without using digital river) where they could just release the TakaraTomy version (and masterpieces and whatever) to collectors at a premium price. Especially if they know the adult collector is out there, but they have to cater to the kids market. Didn't they release Leo convoy via website once upon a time?

18. C310 Ginrai

C310 Ginrai Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Amiami has posted preorder for TAV22 Sideswipe and TAV23 Autobot Jazz. Unfortunately, I was too late, and preorders for them are already closed. :( 

19. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am 95% certain it is to cater to the fan of IDW comics. But that's just a theory. A Transformers Toy Theory.

[QUOTE='[Wing_Saber-X](...)

Oh..and to people who mentioned that Hasbro/ Takaratomy uses the same moulds and factories... yeah, you can definitely say that this is not the case anymore. Future releases will eventually be different from Hasbro's offerings.[/QUOTE]
    Seeing that the figure are 90% the same, that would be an huge waste of money to create two different assembly lines.

It would be like creating separate assembly lines for Springer and Sandstorm.

Much more likely, everything that is common is created on the same line and the specific stuff are then bifurcated toward the lines for their specific addition/difference.

As there ever been a video reportage of how a Transformers Toy is mounted, from moulding to assembly to packaging?

My guess is, with the amount of retool that has notably increase in those last years, it's probable the Has/Tak fabrication line and now more flexibility, allowing to produce more retool on the same baseline figure, at cheaper Cost.

All in all, UW Devastator can be considered a retool of CW Devastator. It's literally what it is.

20. Arycon

Arycon Well-Known Member

Agreed. MP-27 needs an official thread made. It is maddening trying to come in here looking for updates between all of the Primal Convoy and UW Devastator chat.

Mods? Any help here?