Tokyo Toy Show Transformers Panel Roundup - Unite Devastator, MP Optimus Primal, Iron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Yeah, he definitely needs his own thread because if past releases are any indication, he will dominate discussion here on the boards (and rightly so).

2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So far TakTom has me for,

Unite Superion
    Unite Menasor
    MP Tracks
    MP Roadrage
    MP Ironhide (questionable)
    Legends Blackarachnia
    Legends Slipstream
    Legends Nightbird
    Unite Defensor
    Unite Devastator X2

Damn....that's more than I thought. :lol 

3. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

MP Ironhide, finnally! He looks good. Not quite to the level of Prowl, sideswipe or wheeljack, but still damn good and I'm looking forward to it! Looks substantially better to my eyes than i gear or any other 3rd party. Brings back memories of the original G1. The G1 toy, I think everyone can agree, was horrible!! Now we are finnally getting a decent Ironhide, after all these years.

As far as the takara devestator goes, I hope habro is taking notes. They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on development, only to have all of their sales taken away last moment by takara with a series of simple adjustments. All because of the bean counters at Hasbro. They have to stop those kinds of cost cutting measure in a piece like this.

4. msol

msol Well-Known Member

Poor Ironhide looks like he's wearing diapers.

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Thing with Scrapper is his arms support the entirety of Devastator. If those arms break or get loose, your entire figure is no longer able to stand. Its easy to see why they didn't give scrapper elbows.

6. rapid_fire

I hate to say it, but unless they re-work Ironhide a bit, this will be the first time I actually go with Third Party over Takara.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It sure as heck won't make it unstable like others have suggested, that's for darn sure.

I cannot subscribe to the notion that Japan's safety laws are so much more relaxed that they will make a figure that is a danger for anyone. Aint gonna happen.

As for the rest... I dunno who HASBRO makes Generations for any more. Kids only? Fine. But the kids only Wheeljack from just a couple years ago was leaps and bounds beyond the Clone Wars one. Not saying this one looks bad, but still. But if it is indeed kids only, what the hell am I doing here? Or any of us?

What I want to know is this: why would kids want CW Wheeljack? Or Hound? Or Air Raid? Or Devastator? Do that many 8 year old kids read the comics?

8. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone already did.

In the toy section:confused: . So when there is some new news/pics, someone will make another new thread in here anyway, and that one will be forgotten, but never mind, eh? :) 

9. chaosMonkeyPoo

chaosMonkeyPoo Well-Known Member

If hasbro thinks that parents are going to be dropping $150 to buy Devastator for their kids then they are really out of touch on what parents are willing to spend on toys. The vast majority of people who would actually be ponying up the cash for a toy at that price are collectors. At that $$$ amount a parent is more likely to buy their kid a 3DS or a cheap tablet then a big green robot.

10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:

take it your saying that from a parents point of view? if your not then i would say your really out of touch...some of my daughters barbie playsets were bloody pricey but its what she wanted for birthdays and christmas so i bought it for her and i'm sure a lot of parents are the same.

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Point me to the Times when Hasbro has released 4 out of 6 $25 voyagers without proper elbows. This is not doing what they always do. This is going downhill and off a cliff.

Let's look at Botcon new reveals in the CW line.
    They showed 17 new toys: 3 combiners and two leaders. Of those 17, TWO were new designs (Skylynx and Brawl). The rest were remolds.

That it's not business as usual. That is not repainting the seekers in 1984. That is a ratio of 17 toys to two of them actually being new.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Replace the word "elbows" with "shoulders".

The thing with Scrapper is his shoulders support the entirety of Devastator. If those shoulders break or get loose, your entire figure is no longer able to stand. It is easy to see why they didn't give Scrapper shoulders.

It's the same thing, right?
    Shoulders aren't a problem.
    Elbows aren't a problem.

13. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Metroplex was $120, and the Turtle Lair Sewer playset has done really really really well for Playmates at $100-120.

So yeah, while you may be right I don't think it's THAT outlandish.

And personally I still buy these toys specifically because they're toys, and not for display purposes. I know I'm the minority though.

14. sunstreaker1980

sunstreaker1980 Titan master! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not sure if any one else sees it or mentioned it but.... I see mp grimy getting retooled to mp beast wars megs....

15. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what we are reading here (again, from second report) the point Seem to be more about to make sure the figure was stable even when handled by kids and that they didn't want a 150$ figure that can easily fall down when played with. Mark Weber here is reported saying that Takara remade their figure more with the collectors in mind than the kids and that thye considered collectors would be more careful with their figure.

For me, it is clear that Hasbro develop all their toys, including the Generation line, with kids as their main market, which they probably are (tough it would be interested to see some actual numbers about it, if they are reliable). Let's not forget that G1 didn't really fall into obscurity. The show as many rerun and despite its silliness (or thanks to it?) is still popular among kids. And then there is the old fans who have somehow managed to reproduce and make them watch the old show too.

CW Devastator is clearly at a Christmas/birthday present pricepoint, not just a toy you buy on the store on the go because you happened to pass by the toy aisle. Or a toy you promise if your kid manage to ace at school for a month or two. In middle-upper class family.

In those circumstance, Parent's wallets tend to open much more widely. If you don't believe me, look how much was spend per family in the last Black Friday.

If you have looked at the video, then you know the shoulder were actually designed to clip in solidly. Even Takara didn't reproduce the same kind of solid clipping for Scrapper's elbow than he has for his shoulder.

At least try to not fuck up your analogy.

16. rapid_fire

Shoulders are just as much as a problem. One breaking point is still better then two. Plus that is a much larger and stronger joint.

17. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    While stability is a nice explanation, as usual it is just PR speak. It saved costs, it is obvious it saved costs, as are all of the other joints that have literally nothing to do with the stability of anything that TakaraTomy added. When TakaraTomy Devastator is in hand, and has no stability issues (the one at the convention sure didn't seem to have any), we will officially put that argument to rest.

Maybe you could buy that argument if they had found a way around this supposed issue that didn't also save them money. But as is, their track record speaks for itself.

They certainly could have used the joints version on the SDCC version at the very least, but still didn't. And neither has the retractable visor head, was that also a stability issue? Did that fail the drop test?

Have some common sense. Corporate America isn't in the business of giving you the behind the scenes bare bones truth. It all makes for a friendly interaction but then reality sets in. I'd definitely look at anything they're willing to share with great skepticism.

At the end of the day, TakaraTomy simply makes great products. That is what they do, and I am thankful they are involved in TF. Hasbro has never been willing to believe in anything more than dollar signs.

I wonder, is Blast Off just Slingshot because otherwise he would be unstable for the kids? I mean, honestly folks - all Hasbro does is cut corners on every concept. Look at their RiD 2 Warrior Bumblebee repaint. It's just a color swap, including wheels. It took 5 seconds to create and it's a joke. This is our brand manager in the US.

Be very thankful someone is looking out for us, even if they have to be located in Japan. They definitely deserve our respect and admiration. Frankly, I have personally learned a lot watching this business relationship about what to do and what not to do.

18. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They used to believe in more than dollar signs.

I can't prove it, but I firmly believe that when Aaron Archer was in charge of Transformers, Hasbro did care about making great toys.

And then when the call from up on high came to kick the bean counting into overdrive, Aaron didn't feel right making such compromises and left.

I can't prove any of that, but it at least seems to me that is what happened.

19. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, back when they used to make Prime: First Edition toys. Dat Optimus and Bulkhead were works of art.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some people just can't live life without there being a bad guy and a good guy.