Tokyo Toy Show Transformers Panel Roundup - Unite Devastator, MP Optimus Primal, Iron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gaokaiser, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Hasbro defenders aren't saying that the Takara Devastator is more dangerous than the Hasbro version. They're saying, based on information from Botcon, that Hasbro didn't want to drive up the cost of Devastator for their primarily parent/child market by adding in those extra parts.

From a fan perspective it fucking blows, but from a business perspective it makes absolute sense. Hasbro hasn't changed from its business mission of selling primarily to children, with collectors being a distant second - what's changed is that Takara is starting to focus more on collectors in Japan than on kids because there aren't enough kids being born here.

This is basically a case of Hasbro doing what they always do, while Takara being the one to actually start paying closer attention to collectors. I have no doubt as the economy worsens in North America and people want to buy cheaper stuff for their kids that Hasbro's Transformers will also get cheaper and cheaper, while Takara's will come with all the options but cost an arm and a leg. It sucks, but that's Transformers collecting life. At least we have Takara now catering to the fans and collectors.

2. Drangleic

Drangleic The ill mathematical

Why doesn't MP Ironhide have it's own thread yet? I'm not really interested in these other Toy Show reveals. Let's talk Ironhide!

3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Man, every time I look at a new pic I see a new difference. TT painted Hook's lower legs in toon-accurate silver where Hasbro's are just green plastic! I also really like the silver rims on the wheels.

But basically I came in here to ask if anyone has compiled a full list yet of the differences between Hasbro and TT Devy? There's a lot I like more on TT's (individual guns, articulated elbows etc), but if 3rd parties are going to correct that stuff anyway I really don't know if it's worth the extra cost and hassle of importing. Would be nice to weigh up the options.

I guess a lot also depends if Hasbro Devy is going to be available off the shelf in the UK.

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

yeah they really changed a lot on Dev. Pretty much all new joints on all the bots, new arms completely on bonecrusher! Tons of new paint apps.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still no preorders for Devy yet I see.

Back to waiting (not so) patiently then.

6. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fully agree! Started separate but was merged into this for some reason. Maybe when some more proto pics show up in a magazine he can have his own thread like all the others do?

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think this is a case of Hasbro doing what they always do. The economy isn't great in the US, but it also isn't great in Japan. The yen is down and importing is cheaper than ever.

Hasbro would love to sell these figures to millions of kids, of course, but there should be little denying that the CW line is geared towards collectors. That being said though, when, in the past, has Hasbro EVER released figures with less tooling and articulation then Takara? I know Takara has released certain figures with updated paint schemes and some new accessories, and I know that AOE Prime had a second Takara release with some new molding and better paint, but usually that stuff was AFTER Takara already released the basic versions. It was a way for them to double dip. Sure, Takara has had better paint schemes, and Binaltech had some metal parts, but this is the first time that I am aware of where Hasbro is pretty much doing what we have seen countless Chinese bootleg companies do and simplifying the mold.

Before we knew about the improved Takara version, there were threads where people said stuff like "maybe Takara will add elbows." I thought to myself "nah, Hasbro might cheap out on paint but they are both going to use the same molds." Well, I was wrong and disappointed. This feels like a new low for Hasbro, and I am usually fine with getting the Hasbro releases, but I will be getting the Takara version if I can.

8. Shempdog

Shempdog Well-Known Member

So I was looking at all the media I could find on this MP Ironhide announcement. Ironhide was my first figure as a kid so this one means a lot to me.

Pros:
    1. I like the show accurate design
    2. The inclusion of the battle sled is a nice homage to the toy, but am very glad it was kept separate of the transformation

Cons:
    1. Hip kibble. I was really disappointed when I saw this. The whole
    crotch looked off to me, but as others have said it is G1 show accurate, so nice work there. The hip panels "can" fold to the back, but I wish they just weren't there at all.

I still think this will be a great looking figure in the end and will definitely add him. I will display him next to the G1 toy so maybe people will understand why I collect transformers as an adult.

9. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Walks with Elias

Powermaster Optimus Prime. His arms and fists are one solid block of red, while God Ginrai has retractable blue fists.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is true, and when I found out about that years and years later I was disappointed. In that situation though, the arms were only a small part of an extensive amount of things not included with the US version. They were basically very different products. I assume the arms on the Takara version were made longer to accommodate the extra parts that connected to his chest. The arms would have looked crazy small if they didn't add the extending fists. Either way you could consider that the same thing, but that was 27 years ago.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    These are my thoughts exactly. I knew something was off with IH, so I went back to look at an episode and some screen shots and it's obvious that the hips/crotch are all messed up. Pus there is too much detail on the chest compared to the cartoon. I really hope they shrink the crotch as it's way oversized right now and dominates the figure (yes, that sounds dirty; no that's not what I meant).

12. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PM Prime's arms and Super Ginrai's arms are the same length (with fists extended). the only difference is that the fists retract so as not to have fists sticking out of the top of the trailer. The front of the truck cab was also extensively redone (in diecast no less) with clear plastic windows instead of stickers. Plus, Ginrai in all his forms has blue eyes instead of the weird red eyes of PMOP. It turned out as a much better toy all around.

13. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Cool, they gave Hook a show accurate hook (green boom with purple extension)

14. HammerOfThor

HammerOfThor Well-Known Member

MP Primal. I never thought I would see the day. Can't wait!

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Very likely in Jan 2016... ? :cry :

16. monish

monish Not a Negatron!

News Credits:
    likely Q4 I'm guessing

17. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just wanting the preorders to go up so I can order them and get it over with. If that's when they see release, so be it, but if I hafta wait that long to secure a preorder I'll go insane. :lol 

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    yep, better market value for the Takara vintage over PM Prime. Diecast cab really lends some gravitas to the toy.

19. Drangleic

Drangleic The ill mathematical

MODS can someone create a separate MP Ironhide thread?

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    :lol : ... yeah don't forget the insane amount of stuff Takatomy and Hasbro are releasing from now till December!