Tokyo Toy Show 2018 Information

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Gamerlingual, Apr 20, 2018.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Pretty much the only thing that looks "wrong" to me is the skinny thighs (which often look better in hand. I feel like the last five or some MPs have had seemingly skinny thighs in protos) and the small feet. They're too blunt and narrow, and I don't like how separate they are but again protos often exacerbate flaws due to lack of colours and proper fit.

That, and the fact that a very cartoony robot turns into MP-10's alt mode and not a suitably cartoony truck. But I suppose it's not without precedent.

I guess I don't know what I was expecting. Yep, that's a 90% toon accurate Op. Doubt I'll get it but, yeah, that's what we knew was coming. I don't really know why I expected to be wow'd since there's only so much surprise with G1 Optimus. Maybe in colour he'll really stand out.

2. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

I think he looks great. Only nitpicks from me are the disjointed feet. The gap at the top is a bummer. If it can get pushed backward then it should cover it up, but no idea on that yet. We can't see the face sculpt clearly. Anyone there can confirm how it looks? Is it better than the custom head sculpt I posted a while back? I think that one is going to be tough to top now, and by the looks of it, this one doesn't do that. Will wait for better a look before casting any judgement.

3. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Damnit! Yes, yes of course I'm getting this one! Freaking looks like Prime Stepped out of the cartoon like MP36! Holy cow!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinobot Grimlock

Dinobot Grimlock Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Convoy look like G1 Cartoon

• Like Like x 3
  5. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Copy and pasted from the 35th Anniversary Optimus Prime thread:

0068ONnLgy1fs529xd9wvj30m00eiwhd.jpg

After correcting for the angle and skewed perspective of the camera shot, MP OP V3 is looking pretty damn good and spot-on to me, especially the proportions!

• Like Like x 4
  6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I think once painted it wont look so spacy for lack of a better word, it just means his foot articulaiton will be a lot better than MP-10. With what we are seeing with the tweaked pics and the side by side comparisons , I'm betting when we get finalized pictures it'll be pretty obvious he's blowing MP-10 away.

Be interesting to know what Japanese fans are thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

good point, @jackisking. He'll have a wide range of forward and aft movement this way. Hopefully we'll get the option to push the foot inward still to lessen the gap, but as I said, a nitpick. He looks amazing to my eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It reminds me a lot of MP-1 now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont get it...seems like a waste of MP engineering. I think 10 looks better from the pics..but thats just my taste..

• Like Like x 1
  10. mista2x

mista2x Well-Known Member

Did he go pants shopping with badcube sunsurge?

11. Raiju

News Credits:
    I have an indirect fondness for the MP-1 mold by way of iGear's PP01 Faith Leader downsized KO of that figure. It always looked more toon accurate to me than MP-10 ever did. I still use PP01 as my Classics Optimus Prime.

MP OP v3 takes it further with streamlined proportions that jump right off the TV screen for me (without looking exaggerated like MP-10) and with what I hope are improved engineering and stability, especially in the articulation and posing departments (something that MP-1 and PP01 failed at as the joints were too soft and jiggly which hurt stability greatly).

• Like Like x 1
  12. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know. There's something I just don't like about the toon accurate designs. I just don't think a hand drawn animation cell translates into a good physical object. The simplicity of the designs was done on purpose so you don't have to draw intricate details a few thousand times.

I like that the Masterpiece figures looked like real world Transformers that match the essence of the character.

Also the latest figures have become messes of small panels and poor alignment, like Megatron's crotch plate. There really is something to be said about the simplicity of Prowl compared to Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It’s not as if they haven’t already

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Man....this a whole lot of judgment being passed on a shot of a figure that is blurry, far away, at an incorrect angle, posed terribly, and in gray prototype colors.

Give it chance eh?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    We get it. Because you just keep repeating the same thing with every new MP reveal. Only this time you and everyone else already knew it was going to be Optimus Prime, yet you still felt the need to bitch that it wasn't Galvatron.

Why don't you just write "I hate Takara! I want MP Galvatron!" in your signature. That would save you a lot of time.

• Like Like x 8
  16. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Copying from what I said elsewhere:

I live in bizarro land! We had several pretty blurry and seemingly mildly distorted pics and half the people are panning it?! If you’re happy with MP-10, that’s cool, but this is objectively better in ways even from what we can see. Vehicle mode appears to surpass it which surprises me. Robot mode has hidden tires, no monkey arms, and seems to capture more of G1 prime’s proportion (chest windows, larger diaper area). The forarms are WAY better done. I’m not knocking MP-10 if that is how you prefer to see the character, but if the toon/Movie is your jam, there really doesn’t seem to be any comparison from what we can tell at the moment. To be honest, I expected to be blown away a little more, but some high res pics and poses will make a world of difference I think. Going from the piecemeal (meaning panel lines) cab to that robot mode is damned impressive.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Raiju

News Credits:
    Super toony robot changing into superior (than MP-10's) truck mode. Sorcery. It's about how I felt when MP-36 Megatron was revealed with his super toony bot mode and being able to transform into a Walther P-38.

Sure the impact is a bit lessened since it's "yet another Optimus Prime" but I remain impressed by what I'm seeing so far. Higher res photos should hopefully clear up some details like the head sculpt and the ankle areas.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    2019 eta not yet confirmed? I need pre order pages stat!

19. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

Need clearer pics.

20. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Glad I could help guys. It’s 12 midnight in Japan. Gonna sleep soon. I’ll do what I can to help in the future to keep you guys updated on Japan transformers events if time and luck permit. Today was definitely a tough mission. But from what feedback I’ve received, sounds like mission complete. Be blessed to all and cheers

• Like Like x 18