TOKYO TOY SHOW 2012 MASABON Report

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Masabon, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A G2 Sideswipe,most likely will be Ehobby exclusive.

2. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the additional info onnsake (not onnsnake, as I wrote before :lol  )
    The bit about Sunstreaker should put a lot of minds to ease. I can't imagine they WON'T do Soundblaster. Isn't he more popular in Japan than Soundwave, due to the continuation of G1 over there? Pretty sure I've heard that several times. Besides, we've recently had a SB encore release, that seems to be somewhat connected to the MP line.
    Vague answers seems to be HasTak for "Yes."

3. Stepper

News Credits:
    Now who has the Wheeljack's real race car from the 70s,pls donate it to TakaraTomy so that they may come out MP Wheeljack ;) 

4. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which, with the new partnership between ehobby and TFCC, hopefully translates into the US getting him too.

But oh that licensing thing....

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    huh, did't Takaratomy / Hasbro successfully obtain the rights in the first place to be able to get the go-ahead to make MP Lambor/Sideswipe form Lamborghini, hence the similar alt mode to the g1 predecessor?! :confused: 

6. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

Bullseye! Like I said in more words in earlier threads, if some can criticise HasTak in advance for milking characters out of a figure, why not consider that they could instead 'milk' their Lamborghini license for more than one mold? ;) 

7. Patto Prime

Patto Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So who owns the rights to Wheeljacks's alt mode? Lancia or the race team fron the 70s or whoever currently has the car in their possession?

With regards to the Lamborghini alt mode for Sideswipe, why is this allowed but not Porshes and VWs as they are all owned by the same company (Audi AG). Is it because Lamborghini has Italian heritage instead of WW2 ties that the German car makers have. I have heard the whole " We won't make war machines" reason from Porsche and VW before. Why are they now licencing one of their other brands. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as hell with the Sideswipe and Red Alert figures. It just seems strange that they will licence one of their brands and not others.

8. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

There inlies the problem... That info may be debatable in a court of law... I have no idea but I'm sure that TT wants all their I's doted and T's crossed before sinking a pile of money into a new mold.

Long story short yes Lambo has Italian origins and there for is not associated with Nazi's.. Like how Mercury is not associated with Henry Ford. That's my take on it at least.

9. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Each company under the parent likely has a certain level of autonomy to decide these things.

10. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Hmm, didn't know Audi owned VW and Porsche as well as Lambo...Then it does seem strange that they won't make a MP Jazz or BB, or maybe it's in their minds but not something they want to produce atm. I hope it's the latter, especially for Jazz.

11. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

(according to wikipedia)

Porsche and volkswagen are directly associated with the nazi regime. Porsche designed the volkswagen Beetle that was later modified for military use. The Porsche company also designed several tanks for the nazi's. Both Porsche and Volkswagen have through their designs directly helped the nazi in the war effort.

In contrast, Lamborghinni has no affiliation with the Italian Fascist regime. Lamborghinni didn't start until after WW2 and cars didn't appear until much later.

I think this difference is the reason. Both Volkswagen and Porsch have a started out by building military vehicles for the Nazi's and now don't want to be associated with military robots fighting in a war. Lamborghinni doesn't have this association.

12. adambman

Yeah, Italy was of course one of the Axis powers, if we really must discuss the geopolitical side of things. The more clear point is that Lamborghini started making tractors - and later sports cars - only after WWII had finished, therefore having no corporate ties with the aforementioned powers, to say the least.

13. Patto Prime

Patto Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the clarification guys. Very informative. Bit of a bummer though. I'd really like to see both Bumblebee and Jazz in Masterpiece form. Obviously there are some very significant cultural sensitivies with regards to both those brands respective histories.

Slightly off topic here but I'm just putting it out there though, would fans accept Masterpiece designs for these characters that were modified enough from their original vehicle designs that they were recognisable but different enough to not be a VW or Porsche and not infringing on their IP? Kind of like what they did with the Lamborghini design for the twins in the Generations lines but higher end. Obviously they were meant to be Lamborghini Gallardos but were different enough that they didn't need licencing. I don't know if might split opinion but at the end of the day I'd really love to see highly detailed and faithful but not 100% accurate designs than let these characters never see the light of day in the Masterpiece lineup. I'd still love to see licenced designs but would people accept a compromise of sorts? I guess it really also depends on what Takara's opinion on this is because they might want 100% authenticity.

14. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is great news I knew Takara would not do this in the Masterpiece line but a confirmation is always nice.

I guess I should have known this would be the case for Wheeljack, I bet the same will hold true for Jazz since he was a Porsche Martini Race car.

Well I'd bet that they are working on Sunstreaker while they still have the license so I'd expect him to be no later than MP-18.

15. Stepper

News Credits:
    Wow,Sunstreaker to be a new mold,great.

16. adambman

Ahh, I think the Lancia Stratos is a fantastic looking car and lapped up the United and RiD figures bearing Wheeljack's name. Instead of rambling on, in short I'd have really loved to have either Masterpiece or Encore Wheeljack, even though I have not started collecting the latter line - yet!

It was not so many years ago that Sky Linx's wiki would have us resigned to the fact that his mold was lost and would almost certainly remain that way, though this is a slim hope to carry over to Wheeljack.

To my knowledge Wheeljack was the only Transformer with a Lancia altmode - Stratos or otherwise - though they are owned by Fiat who also own Ferrari. So maybe if/when the time comes that, say, MP Stunticons become a possibility or I daresay MP Throttlebots become some kind of priority, Takara mighht approach Fiat to effectively secure licensing for both brands of sports car. That is, perhaps Takara won't pursue licensing for one car, evein if it could be Masterpiece Wheeljack.

17. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it meant getting a MP version of these characters then I am all for it. If they do go this route I do wonder just how much they would have to change to skip by the law though? I also wonder how much would Takara pay for these license's, and if given enough money would these companies grant it?

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be ok with slight differences. I'd actually really like if BB were a SD version like his original figure. If getting a MP Wheeljack means a slight difference from the actual vehicle mode, but was still recognisable as the Lancia, I'm ok with that.

19. jacranky

jacranky Well-Known Member

OMGWTF!!! Soundwave can store up to 3 cassettes at a time and you can queue them to eject with each time you shut his chest door??? I was sold before, but that is just some tremendous icing on the cake!!

20. Stepper

News Credits:
    This is one gimmick that make Soundwave fun to play with.