Customs: Tokyo’s 3D printing photobooth lets you turn yourself into an action figure

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

3M:

To be fair, the sound engineer was right on cue, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few in the audience were fooled, as well.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sound or not, there's way too much going on in a motorcycle to be able to just "print" a working one. Wires, compression tolerances, gaskets, rubber, spark plugs, computers, light bulbs, engine block, oil, gas, you name it.

To think that thing actually runs shows a complete misunderstanding of the entire 3D printing process.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:

Damn.
    That actually pisses me off. Seriously pissed.

Not only because it put egg on my face, but because I took their claims at face value.

If I hate anything more than that type of chuck-and-jive bullshit is that I fell for it.

Mother fuckers. Pardon my french.

I am still optimistic that at least this place in Japan delivers on its claims. It might not be one of those stupid Polaroid kiosk booths you see at the mall where you and your friend take 5 stupid pictures of yourself, but I wouldn't doubt that for under $300 you can get a replica of yourself from a booth, and not an airport hanger.

Especially after he held up that one piece and actually stated how it was printed in 1 piece.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, it was pretty crappy of that guy to allow people to believe that it was a working motorcycle, adding sounds and all that. It's highly deceptive and borders on flat-out lying. It's supposed to be a presentation to show the true capabilities of the process, not a magic show.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. Autobus Prime

bp:

The spring strut thing? If he said so, that one probably was. It's just three pieces and loose fits. We have a little toy planetary geartrain floating around at work, that was printed out as assembled on a 3d printer, with movable carrier and meshed gears. The fits are pretty loose, though. :) 

You shouldn't feel bad, it was a pretty classic pitch. Claim 10% and let people fill in the other 90. A whole new world with tons of cider. :D 

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Borderline nothing!
    If he stated after, that's 1 thing- but that meant they edited it out.

As it stands, that is 100% fraud.

7. seanb47

seanb47 FB:SBee'sCustomCreations IG@sbees_custom_creations

Ebay:
    I don't get why even bother to build one to life size scale?What's the point if it doesn't function?Okay,so I get the fraction of a cost thing compared the the real deal.So?The final porduct is still just a life size scale prop.

8. Autobus Prime

sb47:

The chopper was a design exercise, to show it could be done, and to demonstrate Stratasys' capabilities in a way that potential customers would remember. Prototypes are often made to show to customers or potential clients, because people often like to have something they can hold, turn over and look at, rather than just a picture.

It could also be taken apart and used to design or check tooling. This is a common use for prototypes. Mass-produced products have all kinds of special tools which are used to make them. We are somewhat familiar with plastic molds now, and there are also various sorts of sheet metal tools, jigs (which support a part while it's being worked on), fixtures (which support a part and hold it in place), CAD programs, and so forth. A lot of this work can be done with 3d modeling software now, but if something is complex or expensive, trying everything out with a cheap prototype can save a lot of time and money in rework.

Many products like the hand drill shown contain internals that don't vary much. For something like that drill, you might rapid-prototype a few cases, and install the motor and internal components from last year's model, then test the drills in actual use before committing to mass-production tooling. In this case, the prototype is a working one, but not one that necessarily matches the finished product.

These are just some of the uses for a prototype, even a nonworking one, and there are many others.