To me most third party Transformers are NOT the mainline characters, but that's okay!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been collecting a 3P Transformers for some time now, and one thing that I've decided is that I'm enjoying the alternative names, stories and fiction that comes with them. I don't need them to be the G1 cast of characters to be fun toys. Defender and Sonicron are not simple "not-Springer" and "not-Soundwave", they are two original characters, with their own unique personalities, quirks, and stories.

Yeah, they are Transformers, they are from Cybertron, but what's wrong with Sonicron just being another Decepticon communications officer? Cybertron could have a population of millions. We don't need to same couple dozen guys do we? Homage are nice and all, and it makes the characters fit in with the rest of the Cybertronians, but I don't mind original characters, or even considering homage characters as new characters who are just similar.

Do you consider your 3P Transformers to be the same characters as their are modeled after, or as completely new characters? If they are new characters how do you see them?

For instance...

I see my green Grand Patriot to be an Autobot who was sent to watch over the Earth by Optimus Prime, assigned to work with a human Special Missions force. He's young, but competant a professional soldier.

Blue Konvoy is an older Autobot who was upgraded by Alpha Trion to be a replacment for Optimus Prime as leader of the Autobots. He's actually an older robot (having lived the 4 million years while the Earth Autobots were in stasis) and he has a different leadership style. He's an armchair general, who never engages in battle, but tries to inspire his troops with speeches, and looking impressive. He's willing to sacrifice troops to win the war.

Sonicron is part of Soundwave's elite communications task force. He greatly admires his commander and role model Soundwave. Sadly Soundwave considers him a bit of a suckup and gives him the worst assignements, hoping he'll get slagged. Amazingly he keeps fulfilling his missions successfully, despite each being more dangerous than the last. Sonicron commands a small force of casseticons which he uses for counter intelligence, feeling false data to the Autobots.

I have one of the igear Bee toys, the remolds of the Universe Legends Bumblebee. To me these three are two brothers and a sister (the blue one), who are experts in sabotage (read: sometimes lethal practical jokes). Cans of oil left over door ways that dump on Decepticon heads, exploding whoopie cushions in the Decepticon command chairs, fuel additive that makes Decepticons engines "backfire", etc.

Do you have any of your own characterizations?

2. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i was thinking of making warcry a wrecker, but ill probably just sell him...

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once I get them the legal dodging names go out the window because most of them are dumb.

4. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    What would you call Hegemon?

5. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

That's one reason this hobby is so great. It's your collection so you get to make the rules. Consider them whomever you want. IT IS YOUR COLLECTION... FORGET ANYONE ELSE'S OPINION.

6. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

I consider them to be the characters they are 'tributing' and display them as such. However when talking with fans and friends, I would refer to them as 'Defender, Protector, City Commander, etc'.

The reason I collect 3rd party is because they are collector grade or character 'accurate' figures and upgrades which Hasbro wouldn't bother with or is highly unlikely to do. They are also for the most part much more interesting and of superior quality (design wise) to anything Hasbro is making, specially when compared to their latest batch of toys (like FOC) which are pretty mediocre by comparison (not just with 3rd parties but by their own standards of just a few years ago).

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some names just won't work. Like PE-DX-01 RC. Or any of the Giant limbs

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I treat them the same as the characters they're based on. I don't like original characters.

9. Donnie707

Donnie707 Well-Known Member

+1 tfc herc is my definitive devastator. munitioner/explorer is swindle/blastoff etc etc. untill hasbro makes better versions(if they ever do), 3rd party stuff will be a what i will be using.

10. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, also if I call them with their new names :p 

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's wrong with calling her RC?

I do thing alt mode names like Mobile Crane and F4 Phantom are unimaginative, but hey, some people are John Doe or Bill Smith.

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I agree with that mostly except for Steelcore. I treat him as a Powermaster disgraced/outcast Wrecker type.

13. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I'm dying to see what they'll call Optimus Prime if they do him

14. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're Transformers characters for me, as much as an official optimus prime is. The only reason I refer to them by their new names here is because Assaulter is faster to type than Fansproject Not-Broadside.

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I treat them as the character they're modeld after unless they bare no resemblance to the original, which is the same thing I do for official Hasbro products as well. Defender is Springer, Generations Blurr is Blurr but GDO Swerve is an original character as well as the blue Perfect Effect RC (or rather she will be if I ever buy her). :eek: 

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Most of the absolute "That's supposed to be them for sure" 3Ps tend to stay who they are. Munitioner/Explorer are Blast-off and Swindle. Igear's Ironhide is as such, Devastator, Ultra Magnus with armor, Broadside (especially since I don't have the G1 toy and will never get it).

There are some that get repurposed. PEDX01 blue I renamed Centerfire, not Arcee or Chromia. And while the Protector armor is meant to make Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime, I tend to think of it as more an "Iron Man" armor set that Hot Rod brings with him sometimes. There are others out there I haven't gotten yet that I would likely make into their own character. It's definitely one of those things where you bought it, you do what you want with it.

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If it looks like Devastator, stands like Devastator then it is Devastator. But then that's just me.

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

^

Which Devastator is that?

Hercules or pinocchio face? :lol 

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Both!

Pretending they are something they aren't just because they didn't come from HasTak has always puzzled me.

I mean....who the hell is Hegemon if he isn't Megatron? He is a damn sight better than anything official that's ever been released!!

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I agree with Hegemon. Toyworld is how 3rd party should be done. Add HOS toys as well. Others just don't hack it.