TMNT Out of the Shadows

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 27, 2014.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    What would you like to see in the sequel to Jonathan Liebesman's TMNT film?

DIMENSION X.
    To be honest, I was hoping they’d mention aliens in the film as an explanation for the serum that turned Splinter and the Turtles into mutant ninjas. In any case the filmmakers already mentioned that the sequel would go this route. So that’s great.

SHREDDER’S HISTORY
    The Shredder was cool, but rather too enigmatic. I hope he gets a little more history and exposition beyond being the Foot Clan leader. Is it a position? Is he truly human?

BISHOP.
    A secret agent investigating dimensions and walking animals (from the 2003 show). It’d be a great and realistic addition to the film series.

MORE MUTANTS.
    More mutated animals! The Turtles are at their best in fighting one of their own.

Ideally I'd like to see:
    - Bebop and Rocksteady (classic favourites)
    - Koya (Shredder’s falcon)
    - Dogpound (a half-dog half-human fighter from the 2012 show)
    - Alopex (a female fox allied with Shredder)
    - Artemisia (a female Turtle – WAY better than Venus, I promise)

Does anyone have anything they’d like to see in the sequel?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wrong forum, bro.

But I want to see Tokka and Rahzar just for the lolz.

3. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

Um wrong section mate sorry.
    I want Venus just to anoy people. lol.

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Blast! Freaking technical difficulties!

Can someone please move this to the right forum? My apologies.

5. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Moved to Movies and Television.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Krang or the Kraang (which ever option they choose) would be interesting to see.

7. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I don't want them to go back to the origin. The complete and total nonsense that was "They learned from a book because reasons" is not going to get any better. Nor is the grisly hatchet job they did to the entire concept of the Foot and the Shredder. So I say go big or go home. You pretty much screwed the pooch on every level on the Turtle's mythology as it relates to Earth (which is a damn shame because the ninja stuff was always a thousand times more interesting than all the sci-fi stuff) so let's get some aliens in there!

Triceratons, Fugitoid, the Utroms or, more realistically, Krang, Traag, the Neutrinos, the Technodrome, etc., are all ripe with cinematic potential (although, frankly, I don't see the creative team behind the first one doing them any favors besides making them generically "badass").

But what I'd like to see most of all is some good old fashioned character. There's been a lot of talk of how this new movie "nails" the turtles, but you need more than the general cadence of how someone talks to truly "nail" them. The heart of drama is found in the way characters' wants and needs conflict with each other; so let's get in the Turtles' heads. Let's find out what makes them tick. How great would it be to finally see the Mirage Michelangelo in any adaption instead of the one note joke "Party dude" schtick we've had since the '80s cartoon? Or Leonardo trying a little to hard to fit into the role of the leader because deep down he wants to feel superior, and once you peel back the layers, you realize that all that humility is false (like from the 2007 movie, still the best version of the Leo/Raph conflict)?

They sort of half assed something like that with Raphael. It was hackneyed and clichéd as all hell, completely unarmed and not at all used in a dramatic way; but it was something. Baby steps.

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Bishop, Leatherhead, Hun, Xever, and Tokka and Rahzar.

9. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, when young April was looking at the serum, she did mention that the scientists said that it was from another world.

But yes, I would like to see Dimension X for the sequel.

I would also like to see a little more of Shredder as well. I didn't mind him and his robo-suit in this film, so seeing that return (with upgrades) would be fine.

Bebop and Rocksteady is a must, and also longer and more intense fights.

I wonder how they're going to top that mountain chase, though.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bebop. Rocksteady. A plot that's not run of the mill. A Michaelangelo who is not horny. Kappa.

11. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Leatherhead, Rat King, Punk Frogs and Usagi Yojimbo. And Lord Dregg.

Also Fly Baxter Stockman and The Mousers.

And Casey Jones.

12. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Either bring in the Utrom and Kraang, or bring in Shredder's second attempt at taking out the turtles with his new "Beat them at their own game" army of ninjas, and, of course, a team of evil mutants.

Or both. (Shrugs)

13. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TBH, there are heaps of characters that could appear. I don't care who as long as they are done justice.

I just wish there was more to Splinter and Shredder (as in the rivalry between Yoshi and Saki). Splinter mentioned "He doesn't remember a time before living in that laboratory." That quote was interesting.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    More of Shredder (backstory and him in-general), some more traditional Foot clan (with enemies trained in martial arts, taking the clan back to it's roots would make sense), Krang and Dimmension-X (giveing us the origin of the mutagen), Rocksteady and Bebop (Shredder's attempts at mutagen-made fighters), and Casey Jones (crazy vigilante with a brooklyn accent and a thing for hockey).

Though in the end, just keeping it fun and entertaining like the first one is all I need out of the sequel (hopefully sequels).
    Don't count on Usagi ever making an appearance in the franchise again. Apparently the creator of Yojimbo and Peter Laird got into a fight a while back. Since Laird means fuck-all to the franchise anymore it shouldn't be an issue, but it's why they haven't been able to put him in the new show. I can't imagine that changing for the movies.

15. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

They can do whatever they want, just make the Turtles the main characters.

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The "lab subject-book teaching" origin, IMO, makes more sense than reincarnation or toxic waste - one sounds very contrived and the other sounds too random. Even the Spider-Man films (both Raimi/Webb) had Peter Parker get bitten by a genetically altered spider instead of a radioactive spider.

The Foot is now more a ninja clan-terrorist organization combo, which also works in a contemporary time.

And do NOT diss the Mikester, man! He rocks!

Thanks, I missed that part.

The mountain chase worked because the Turtles were using their shells to glide, like they had done in the sewers. It was a skill that aided them greatly.

But they should probably go with more brutal kung-fu. And win their fights.

Kappa was mentioned actually:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Motion Comic - Legend Of The Yokai (2014) - Movie HD - YouTube

Of course, it remains to be seen if this can tie into this film's history (either through time-travel like in TMNT 3, or reincarnation like IDW comics) and not appear convoluted.

I think that he was just a rat then, he didn't get anything special till he was injected with the mutagen.

Yeah, in the end that's what really counts.

He was mentioned in the film, as rabbits were considered for the mutagen.

Alas, it will be a time before we see a live-action kickass samurai bunny. But not too long thanks to TMNT. Hell, even have Bay produce/direct USAGI YOJIMBO.

17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Boo Tokka. He's a poor man's Slash.

18. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The "toxic waste" obviously altered them on a genetic level in ALL incarnations. And it's never actually been toxic waste (except for in the movies, where it's waste from a genetics lab), but Utrom/Dimension X/Kraang experiments.

And Spider-Man's origin (at least in the good Spider-Man movies) still retains that sense of randomness- Of blind fate gifting him with something, and him doing his best with it.

The problem with the origin here is that it's totally hackneyed and relies on faux destiny gobblety gook. And then on top of that it doesn't even make sense. April's father just so happened to be working with the baby turtles and let his daughter play with them, and by coincidence they just happened to meet again several years later.

That made more sense in the '80s, man! We weren't exactly flush with secret ninja subsocieties. The problem isn't that they're ninja-terrorist hybrids- They're just terrorists. There's nothing ninja esque about the way they fight or dress, it just so happens that they're boss is a ninja, and has a robot suit that's the perfect size to be fighting the Hulk-sized turtles, who are also ninjas, because they learned it from a book.

(Which is both impossible and stupid by the way, you can't learn martial arts just by reading and looking at pictures of poses.)

So the problem here is that the ENTIRE "Ninja" element is purely coincidental, totally nonsensical, and rendered 100% unnecessary by the massive size of every one in the movie. The turtles are ridiculously big, especially when you consider that they started out as turtles, and most of their attacks involve them punching enemies across rooms and tossing shipping containers. Shredder's a giant robot.

It's like the filmmakers are 12 year olds who think "bigger = cooler", and even stupider, that "cooler = better".

I call it like I see it; Post-'87 Mikey is a caricature of a once interesting character, and this movie doesn't stray from that.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Eh I'm not sure there is anything they can do that would get me to watch Turtles 2. From all I read the first movie lacked what makes me love the current cartoon so much so I'll just stick with watching the cartoon instead of the live action mess.

Robot ninjas with extra arms vs generic paramilitary Foot, long history of conflict between Shredder and Splinter vs some guys fighting for some reason, Krang speak vs movie humor, yea I'll just stick with the cartoon.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    They're dudes in black tac gear, with masks and rifles. In so much as real Ninjas would be all over that shit because bullets get it done, there's nothing interesting about it visually and I'm having a hard time dreaming up thematic interest. I mean do we get clued into why he's going full super villain in his first outing?

80's Shredder was backed up by Kraang and Dimension-X so he can afford to go all in, '03 Shredder was the alien mastermind (and even then his dudes were more interesting) and 90's Shredder was perhaps the most realistic depiction of all: organised crime headed by a charismatic schemer who played off the insecurities of the poor, neglected or otherwise marginalized youth by dangling Pleasure Island from Pinocchio in front of them, with the added bonus of being NINJAS!