TMNT Collab?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fc203, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I don't believe Playmates has a master license anymore, as far as I know, Neca/Super7/Mattel/Hasbro license directly from Viacom, not Playmates. Case in point, I just checked the box for MOTU Turtles of Grayskull Mouse Jaw. Viacom and Nickelodeon (a Viacom subsidiary) are both present on the box legal text, Playmates is not.

The issue with Super 7 Ratking was Playmates raising a stink to Viacom, but Playmates themselves couldn't really do anything.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    They have to go to Nick yes for the process.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Which means that Playmates doesn't have a master license. If they had a master licence then all subsequent toy licences would be through Playmates, not Viacom.

4. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    It’s probably they had that in the past and in recent years they lost it or something. Cause I know a reason Neca’s early more recent tmnt stuff was sdcc exclusives due to some licensing thing.

Either way, good cause all those others are mostly doing a good job (better as well)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Yea, Playmates definitely used to have a master license for the franchise, but I think that situation got renegotiated after the Viacom purchase. Not immediately after, but just sometime in the last few years or so, when everyone and their mother started making TMNT figures.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Yeah something recently changes for all these Turtles to happen, for the greater good.

Besides repaints for this guy, Turtles (even outside the 80’s toon) has a lot of vehicles for potential crossovers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fenrys

News Credits:
    For sure, a collab turtle blimp would be awesome

• Like Like x 1
  8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    You sure they're Cheerios and not "Toasty-Os" or some other derivative?

But sure, keep calling it a joke. What a riot!

9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. As I understand it, Playmates' master license was quietly not renewed. Possibly a choice by Playmates to save money as everyone else was getting "collector" licenses anyway.

Instead, licenses are by media category.

In general, Playmates is the only one I think has a "contemporary media" license.

Super7, NECA, and Loyal Subjects all started with a "classic media" license, which essentially covers everything in all form factors Nick owns from 1984 to 2014.

Other licenses may be added "on the side" like Last Ronin or contemporary IDW.

Ultimately, though, every single design goes through an approval Nick can reject or accept for any reason.

Nick probably wouldn't object to companies pulling from the Mutant Madness mobile game, for example, even if it was technically outside the license because there's no separate market for it.

Meanwhile, stuff within the license may be something Nick doesn't want for strategic reasons.

I've heard Super7 has at least 8-10 sculpted figures they can't use, despite being within their license. Nick has gone back and forth on a lot of Archie stuff as well as some sensitive toy characters and I think recently relaxed about a few characters like Ninjara, Tattoo, etc.

Also, supposedly, Funko made some kind of pitch to Nick that caused them to withhold permission for Playmates to do Mutant Mayhem Ray Fillet while Funko is marketing the Pop as a store exclusive.

None of the licensees can tell one another what to do and basically have zero direct interaction aside from Brian Flynn at Super7 and Randy at NECA socializing. But Nickelodeon can micromanage licensees for essentially any reason and is open to licensees' input on what Nick approves from other licensees.

In general, that gives Playmates a lot of influence as their dollar revenue in royalties is probably as much as everyone else combined.

From what I understand -- and folks aren't as direct as they used to be -- any of these companies can homage vintage toys but Nickelodeon is discouraging any licensee from milking that as a major part of what they do because it's seen as cutting into Playmates.

So I think Hasbro could probably do a Party Wallop in toy deco but there's also probably a good reason they didn't lead with that.

In general, multi-media stuff like the Party Wagon, Shell Cycle, Sewer Tubes, Blimp, and Cheapskate are going to get an easier "yes", particularly if they aren't toy based. They CAN be toy based but I think Nick wants a sense going forward that nobody is doing stuff that's completely toy based.

So if Hasbro has 3 or 4 offerings and one references a vintage toy, okay. If they all do, that's seen as going too heavy in that direction.

There's also supposedly a general bit of direction from Nick that they want licensee designs to be original and modern in some way, if possible. Some vague sense that it's something new. Even if that's just cel shading or new colorways.

• Like Like x 5
  10. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't watch the 4th stream- did they elaborate on which figure was the one went back on forth on with the retail partner?

I'm guessing it was the TMNT figure?

11. GageLoft

GageLoft Well-Known Member

Whatever man have a good one I guess

12. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Wallop looks pretty neat. I am on board with everybody else wishing it came with a Metalhead head which would be chef's kiss perfection. However I'm sure some third party will 3D print that option.

Is it a repurpose of an existing figure?

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    New mold from the looks of it

• Like Like x 1
  14. TFW2023

TFW2023 Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    This is awesome but there is a drawback if you want all four turtles you\'ll need to buy four copies of this figure and that will cost you much more 

15. LunarStrike

LunarStrike Let's Get Dangerous!

Yes!!!

16. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Rewatching the wondercon panel. Bmac seemed to imply there might be more coming for the TMNT collab. Might we get more than one collab figure?

"We have a lot more stuff coming with this with our good friends and Paramount and Nickelodeon"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  17. LunarStrike

LunarStrike Let's Get Dangerous!

Give me a Transformers x Rugrats Reptar collaboration please!

• Like Like x 6
  18. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The Keyboard Samurai

I was really hyped and want to like Party Wallop, but that head sculpt just doesn’t work for me at all.

19. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 6
  20. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this thing is an almost 40 year dream come true 

• Like Like x 1