TM Flaking

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkravager, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Is there any way to stop the Vac metal from flaking of Transmetals figures once it starts?

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I think I remember somebody suggesting clear nail polish for this before, but I'm not certain.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually...no. This is kind of an inevitability at a certain point with chrome. If you keep the figures in a cool area (or a location where the temperature remains pretty constant) then the chrome continues to stick to the plastic of the toy without much difficulty. Changes in temperature, though, change the size and the shape of the plastic over time, causing the chrome to flake off.

I tried the nail polish on some G1 parts. Note - I only applied it in SMALL patches around areas of G1 guns that were starting to flake. I did NOT cover a chrome location with the stuff, which will make the chrome go hazy (and what's the point of the chrome then?) While it does help kinda "glue" on what chrome you have left, it won't "repaint" the chrome back on.

Hope that helps.

4. Darkravager

Thanks for the help guys. What about the use of a permanent marker on the chrome? Would that work? I know it might not be as shiny, but would it stay on?

5. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Sharpies are your friend. They even have that chrome look when going over the chrome areas to touch up.

6. Darkravager

How permanent are they? Like will the Sharpie smudge if I touch that area?

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Try it with the cap of a waterbottle. once it is dried, it is permanent. give it a minute to dry, though.

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm... I've got to give that a try. My BM ultra Jetstorm has been hit with a particularly bad case of cosmic rust these days. My Botcon Shockaract could use a few touchups too. Hmm.... thanks for the info!

9. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I thank Insane Galvatron myself. He gave me the idea a few weeks ago. Worked great on my RID Prime. :D 

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You're welcome. The idea just hit me one day when I was looking at my RID Prime with his chipped red chrome.

One thing I must point out though, is that it only works when the transmetal color has come off, but the chrome underneath is still there. For bad flaking ( like Transmetal Rattrap ) where the chrome comes off too, it most likely won't help.

11. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    prismacolor markers and clearcoat...