TLK opening weekend numbers, lowest of the franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Boneless Pizza, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    And this is why people want the films to crash and burn hard enough to force a reboot. It would make Hasbro start to give a shit about the rest of the franchise again.

• Like Like x 5
  2. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

I wish I could hit the like button 100 times over on this. Yes, it does look like the movie is tanking. Yes, I do have my criticisms of the movie even though I enjoyed it. But the overwhelming hatred, over the top happiness that it is tanking, and scrambling rush to find any tiny bit of negative news to gleefully post is getting to be just a bit too much from some people.

• Like Like x 9
  3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Can't hit the like 100 times, but I really "liked" reading this. Thanks to all of you who keep your cool in here!!! :) 

• Like Like x 5
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

Yeah, especially when a lot of us liked or even loved the previous films. Even if I didn't like TLK as much, I still want to see the Bumblebee film.

I mean I thought TLK was a big step down from AOE, DOTM, etc., but I don't want the entire film universe to fail just because there was one film I liked considerably less.

My unpopular opinion? The production should have kept Kruger on to write the sequel; maybe even added another writer to work with him. He actually knew Transformers. He knew how to characterize the robots and balance their story with that of the humans. His subplots were tied together thematically and narratively. His stories made sense in the context of what came before. Kruger was not perfect, but damn it, he wrote some damn enjoyable Transformers stories that honored the core concepts of the brand: that Cybertronians are feeling, thinking robots with the ability to transform that come from an alien world. Whether it was Sentinel Prime's treachery, Megatron's decline as a warlord until all he wanted was Cybertron's survival even at the expense of his own power, Lockdown's view that the Autobot-Decepticon war was a blight on the universe and he needed to personally hunt them down, or Optimus Prime's loss of faith in humanity as a result of Cemtery Wind's alliance with Lockdown and the revival of Megatron, I really enjoy what he did with the story of the robots and the humans that shared their universe.

• Like Like x 7
  5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

It might take that long or it might be like Spiderman and happen really quickly. Maybe the TF films won't even get the chance to become straight up flops. If they start making less money, it might, just might, get the execs at Paramount to try something different, in order to prevent the franchise from outright failing. Plus, if the films do fail, it won't be the end of the world, or even the franchise. Transformers is doing great right now. It could survive 7 years without the movies. It'd probably take that long just for it to die down to pre-movie levels, a time when the franchise had still been going non-stop for 10 years. I think it'd be a very long time before we'd have to worry about the future of the franchise. Plus, in a break between movies, we could let the movies' influence fully drain out of the franchise. Things have never been the same since ROTF, what with IDW deciding to copy the movies' style and the films' disgruntled writers deciding to create their own series. Both of those continuities are still going to this day. It's long overdue for the entire Transformers franchise to start getting some real reboots going.

6. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing this trio of writers deciding to take Cade away from the autobots we grown to love and leave him in England, I feel Kruger"s potential script for Tf5 would at least be not as boring as what TLK ended up being. Coincentndally Dotm and aoe are my fave of the franchise

• Like Like x 1
  7. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No I'm talking about Travis knight I do feel like it's going to be the second highest opening since bay is leaving and there's a new guy

8. Galvatross

Yeah, the previous two films are easily my favorites as well.

I also guarantee a Kruger script would keep Galvatron as Galvatron or at least explain any transition. It also wouldn't involve any "Witwickan" stuff, and the Knights wouldn't have been in the sea on Earth all this time when Lockdown said he had captured them all. Like they would have been prisoners or corrupted servants of the Quintessons or something.

9. Boneless Pizza

Boneless Pizza Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not surprising at all. If people didn't go out and see TLK the first weekend, why the hell would they go after it got the worst reviews of the year?

Transformers 5 Drops 82% Friday-To-Friday In China

They're saying TLK is gonna total around 240 in China after AOE did 320. It's looking like TLK will end up doing around 700 million like TF1 did, yikes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even James Bond had a Moonraker now and then. :) 

12. pjeung

pjeung Active Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    damn, this movie is really going to struggle to make 120 domestically.. man

13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I expect expectations to be lowered quite a lot after this one, new director or no it'll be harder to build hype.

14. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it does 240 in China and even 150 in the US, where is the other 300 million coming from? This movie will be lucky to make 500 million at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Wanna know something weird and kinda funny? Despite the headlines I see on this thread, apparently when my co-worker went to see TLK a couple nights ago, his theater was packed, and the theater for Despicable Me 3 was practically empty. It's like we live in Opposite Land or something lol

• Like Like x 5
  16. Galvatross

And you know what? I think we as fans need to stop acting as if our views are the center of the universe, because what is popular or liked or not varies by culture, nation, and individuals. Heck, in a country as big as the United States do you think box office trends are going to be the same everywhere? I don't. Although I would say it's clear TLK isn't making as much box office globally or domestically as the last couple of films, but even then you have people who disliked the last films love this one or people who liked the last films dislike this one.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys that like the bay movies, are supporting a twisted version of Transformers whose creators value hot cars, hot women, explosions, and stereotypes more than the story.

Bay and co care not for the longevity of the franchise only how big the next explosion can be. So while you may disagree with those of us who hope that reboot happens, know that for the past 10 years we've been insulted by Bay's mayhem and complete disregard for the source material.

Here's the funny thing, a well done Transformers movie that focused on the actual Transformers had a coherent plot and respected the source material would still be entertaining to everyone. There is no need of this rift between us.

• Like Like x 3
  18. LTprime98

LTprime98 Well-Known Member

This thread is full of hate Lmao

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ten years of disappointments will do that...

• Like Like x 7
  20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Despicable Me 3 opened yesterday, so that could be why the theater was empty.

• Like Like x 1