TLK box office numbers for opening day looking VERY BAD!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tonyformer, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do wonder how badly this will impact Hasbro's sales.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boneless Pizza

Boneless Pizza Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think Justice League will do better than Spider-Man because some people are getting tired of Spider-Man movies and everybody wants to see Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg work together.

3. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Despite it being summer, I know alot of people work, some 2 jobs, during the week. Personally, I had to leave early from work to see it. At least where I live, our theaters are packed on the weekends only, no matter the movie release date.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I dunno, if Homecoming is very well done I could see it really raking in some dough. I think there's some substantial public awareness that this is the first time Marvel Studios is doing Spider-Man, and tying him into the Avengers universe is a big deal. Iron Man will probably be good for another $50 million to the box office all by himself (basically paying RDJ's salary).

Justice League on the other hand is certainly no Avengers. Flash/Aquaman/Cyborg are nowhere near as enticing as the already-established Thor/Cap/BW. I think Wonder Woman's success will help a lot, but we'll see.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Seems like opening on a Wednesday would have been the right thing to do for those locations then.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Word of mouth. If your friend sees the movie in the middle of the week and they say it stinks you are less likely to go see the movie on Saturday. Plus we live in the social media age so if you just can't see the movie until Saturday look at all those days for people to post things about how bad the movie is, post the Tomato Meter, or post some story about the box office. Heck my phone keeps popping up stories because I Googled some stuff on the movie.

The word of mouth era isn't dead it just moved from the water cooler to the digital. Part of that big second weekend for Wonder Woman was due to all that positive chatter coming out of the people who saw it opening weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boneless Pizza

Boneless Pizza Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think it'd be more disappointing if Wonder Woman in its 4th weekend makes more money than TLK.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    You know where positive word of mouth comes from? An entertaining movie. Like the Deadline article says, TF:TLK is the only new wide release this weekend, and it's still only projected to make $37m. Why? Because it sucks, and the word is out. Would the weekend numbers be higher if it came out today? Sure. AOE got $100m by opening on a Friday. TF:TLK would have maybe earned $50m this weekend had it opened on a Friday.

There's literally no way to polish this turd by having a different release date.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

No not if it was something people were highly excited for. Links are for the daily intake, the blue number is how much it made on the day and the purple is it's gross to date.

The first transformers movie made 155 million in it's 6 day opening (It opened on a Tuesday), 70 of which was the weekend. Transformers (2007) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

the second one made 200 million in it's first 5 days (it opened on a Wednesday), 108 of which was the weekend. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

The third made 162 million in it's first 5 days (it opened on a Wednesday), 97 million of which was the weekend. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

The forth one made 100 million it's opening weekend (it opened on a friday). Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

So opening during the week won't hurt a film. transformers just isn't clicking like it used to at the box office.

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy crap, it's finally happened!

Honestly it was just a matter of time, and I'm honestly surprised that the Marvel movies haven't suffered the same fate yet.

11. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

Well the marvel films are well liked and have great critical reception. I haven't missed a marvel film in a theater yet, same for DC, and I'll continue to go until the films get to a point where I find them unappealing which has happened for transformers for me. I won't be seeing TLK in theaters and I skipped AOE, finally saw it on prime streaming like a year after it came out and really didn't like it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    It's a matter of time. I think the difference is that Marvel is almost a genre all on its own, where you get action-comedies (Guardians), political thrillers (Winter Soldier), scifi/fantasy (Thor), and more while spacing out the big Avengers movies out several years apart. When they launch a new sub-property within their universe you really feel like it's something fresh. Whereas with Transformers, you're always really going to see more of the same exact thing when a film comes out. If Marvel was just Avengers films every year it would get old a lot faster. It have no doubt it will get to that point eventually, but there's still quite a lot of life.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Marvel knows what the fuck it's doing. Their success has not been dumb luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    We are very close to killing this - abstain your support all you can. Muddle the hype machine. We are on a promising path to redemption.

15. Sentinel527

Sentinel527 Combaticon

Is that just domestic?

16. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

Yea, they don't have weekend and daily looks at International. While international is very important the word right now is that the International numbers are looking as bad as the domestic ones right now. This could end up as the lowest grossing film of the franchise.

17. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

Well, looks like it's doing pretty damn good in China, and depending on the legs, may do better than AoE.

I think as long as other markets pick up the slack, the movie could make between $750-$1 billion still (which would still be underperforming, but could still be worse).

Hey, who knows though; maybe the US market could have legs with the little amount it will make over the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  18. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    They will be forced to fire Michael Bay.

19. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

20. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits: