TLK box office numbers for opening day looking VERY BAD!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tonyformer, Jun 21, 2017.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I'd be open to Paramount moving the movies to be Chinese films. Chinese director, writers, actors all that stuff. If they support it financially and it shakes things up creatively it's a win-win, and I'd be curious to see what the movies would be like. I've liked some of the big budget Chinese movies I've seen before.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Correct. AOE made about a $250 million profit for Paramount in the end even though the box office numbers (over a billion) were close to $800 million over the production budget. And the returns are substantially less per dollar for tickets sold overseas. TLK could easily make $250 million less worldwide than AOE, and even if China numbers surpass AOE this time around it's canceled out somewhat by the domestic loss when you factor in returns per dollar. TLK will likely break close to even or make a relatively very small profit - massive disappointment for a studio that was counting on the film to pay for some of its enoermous losses on other films recently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pjeung

pjeung Active Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Wheels are falling off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I never thought I'd see the day when I was rooting for a Transformers movie to fail, but I'm kinda rooting for this one to fail.

• Like Like x 3
  7. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Carefull you don't say that to much. Might get told to shut up or you're being annoying because you want to voice an opinion ;) 

8. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Yeah but I think those that think there will be a swift reboot are in for a rude awakening. I think it will be years before a reboot happens - if at all.

Get ready for 5 to 10 years of no official Botcon type convention and no movieverse. People are getting what they wished for.

I really hope the Bumblebee movie can turn things around.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's more like the net and the gross on your pay check. You look at one number and say hey I'm making money but then you look at the part you actually get to put in your pocket and it's darn I don't have as much of it that I actually get to spend.

So you look at the box office at $800 million and think that's a crazy amount of money Paramount is taking in. But the studio doesn't get all the box office money they have to split it with groups like the theaters showing the film. In the US the studio gets a nice fat cut opening weekend and less each week after that so it's a little tricky on the exact cut that goes directly to the studio. But in China that cut is only 25% so if the Chinese box office was $100 million the studio would only get $25 million.

Then out of the box office cut the studio has to start covering their expenses. You have the production costs. You have the advertising costs in every nation the film will be shown in. It's crazy expensive with all it takes with print, distribute, and insure the copies of the film. The studio has to take part of what they bring in to cover the costs of running a studio. If every single movie isn't a hit that year they also have to cover all the money they lost on films that didn't make money. So at the end of the day a studio can have a massive hit at the box office and still be in trouble for the year.

That's not even getting into how making less at the box office means lower home entertainment profits, how companies will pay less to show your film on cable, or how companies pay less for product placement if your last film didn't burn up the box office.

• Like Like x 2
  10. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    There were about 12 people in my theatre last night for a 7 pm showing. I'd say the box office is not going to be awesome here.

11. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Where is here if I may ask?

12. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Ok, my brother talked me into going to see it one more time tonight in 2D. I'll give it a go again and see if it's any better in 2D so I'm not distracted at all the 3D stuff. Besides, it's Friday night and I want to see if more people are out for it tonight rather than the 30 is so when I seen in in IMAX.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand the jist of how it all works. But if an $800 million worldwide box office take on a $200 million budget is not enough to 'pay the bills' then 'every' movie not made by Disney would be considered a failure.

14. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

I really, really, really wanted to watch it in 2D and not RealD, but there wasn't a convenient time for it at the theater. I tolerate 3D when I have to and the RealD actually had a nasty habit of changing from Imax sizing to widescreen and back multiple times in a shot. So it was like No border, border, no border, border. It was jarring in the human only scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tonyformer

News Credits:
  16. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Confucius say “As long as Bay’s Transformers keep making tons of money, the movies won’t change.”

Heeeheeeheeeeheeeeheeeeheeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Is it schadenfreude if the reason you’re taking pleasure in another’s misfortune is f’n valid? Either way, heeeeeeeheeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Oh I know that bud. Just showing people how out of that 1.1 billion just how much they actually made back after everything. So they spent $210 million on the movie, made that back PLUS $250 mil in profit. Many people don't realize that the 1.1 billion isn't profit.

19. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

See if you have better luck making out who th Bots on the beach are.

20. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits: