Titans Returns Roadburn (Chase)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by maku098, Jan 7, 2017.

1. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    15941943_1562701137078831_71604359_n.jpg 15909601_1562700830412195_1381658989_n.jpg 15935988_1562700673745544_2008414544_n.jpg
    Not much for me to say here. Chase is basically a red Bumblebee with a head that looks to me like it suits his fellow Throttlebot Freeway. If you liked the TR Bumblebee mold, pick this up, but I find the transformation rather finicky, and I don't really like short his lower arms are.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This mold is a lot of fun so I'll be getting this guy for sure.

3. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope they do the rest of the throttlebots but I'm really not liking the head. Looks like a last minute change from Freeway as the OP says. Never a fan of the robo-goatee...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, bit bummed it's not 'his' head - have an attachment to the g1 toy and not sure this quite does it for me because of that. Still a bit tempted tho.

5. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Looks great. Must have for my collection.

6. cirrusstratus1

cirrusstratus1 Banned

I think his head looks more suited for the Throttlebot Searchlight.

7. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Chase's head is not meant to be Searchlight or Freeway - it's meant to be Chase. Remember, while Takara is usually the one known for favoring cartoon appearances and Hasbro is known for going toy based, Hasbro has been mixing it up some in the TR line. Take Triggerhappy for example - his head is based on his appearance in the Sunbow cartoon and Marvel comics, not his original toy. It's the same for Chase - his head is based on the Sunbow cartoon and Marvel comics as well, where the artists switched Chase and Searchlight's heads for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 1
  8. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Titans Returns Roadburn (Chase)

This is a remake of the Throttlebot Chase. First let's deal with the name: he was rumoured as Chase, his instructions showed him as Chase on early versions of the toy but his packaging says Roadburn, and the instructions have since been corrected to match the name on the card, presumably to avoid confusion with Rescue Bot Chase. See also: The Titans Return version of Steeljaw being repainted and renamed Stripes to avoid confusion with the Robots in Disguise toy and the lack of a Combiner Wars Sideswipe despite an obvious mould being available also due to a Robots in Disguise toy! Since both names appear officially on Chase/Roadburn I don't think it matters which name you use.

The toy itself swaps Titans Return Bumblebee's red for yellow and slaps a new head on it, painted blue with a gold painted face. For a new version of Chase it would more than do the job if the paint layers weren't layered on top of each other. Even so it still beats the original hands down in every aspect apart from being pull back and go in vehicle mode.

But I have a problem with it being Chase.

I've never liked the Throttlebots as toys very much. Yes they had a decent run in the comic but as toys they're cut down miniaturised Battlechargers lacking the auto TF gimmick. They're squat robots with the worst arms in the whole toyline - I can just about forgive the legs because that's sacrificed for the gimmick, the four cars are essentially the same toy in different colours and worst of all they're just cheap knock off versions of the original Mini Autobots! Goldbug *IS* Bumblebee, as widely established in the comics and cartoon. Once you're thinking one of them is you quickly see the striking similarity between Rollbar & Wideload and Brawn & Huffer! That then makes the blue Freeway a remake of Gears leaving you to decide which of the red Cliffjumper & Windcharger gets to be the red Chase and who gets to become the white Searchlight! I get that the Throttlebots are 1988 toys, the same year as the Headmasters extensively remade during Titans Returns but having started this group with Chase do they intend to finish it? Can you really repaint Bumblebee as Goldbug, Freeway & Searchlight too? I wouldn't put it past Hasbro trying but I don't see enough waves left to do it: Roadburn's in Wave 4 and Combiner Wars only lasted six waves! Titans Return Brawn is too similarly coloured and not the right shape for Rollbar and besides they need to do the more obvious Outback from him first. And where do you get Wideload from? There's still some lingering discontent over Combiner Wars Huffer, and his repaint Combiner Wars Pipes, being just a repaint of Generations Thrilling 30 Legends Optimus Prime!

These last two points bring us neatly to the other problem I have with this toy being Chase: He's not Cliffjumper. Now it has been known for Bumblebee to be repainted into Cliffjumper, so much so that it's a bit of a trope and they'll be many pleased that this ISN'T Cliffjumper. But the original toys, which started life in Microchange as super deformed versions of real world vehicles, are very similar. Their animated and comic versions are based on these rather than the real life Volkswagen Beetle & Porsche 924 which look nothing like each other. In fact Cliffjumper's Porsche looks so different that it would be nigh on impossible to get a cartoon/comic look alike robot out of it, perhaps explaining the lack of a Masterpiece version. So in my book, YES Cliffjumper is not only an acceptable repaint of Bumblebee, albeit with perhaps a new head and some mucking about with spoilers, but is also the first repaint of Bumblebee that *SHOULD* be done. The previous Legends scale Cliffjumper is a repaint of Thrilling 30 Legends Bumblebee, which is more a Cybertron than Earth mode toy. The Bumblebee's been updated to the toy Roadburn's repainted from yet Cliffjumper is still stuck with his earlier, weaker impersonation. It doesn't seem fair that one of the 1984 cast has been passed over in favour of a much less well known toy and Roadburn being red means it's considerably less likely we'll get another red toy from this mould. Sorry Roadburn, given the choice between the two it would have been Cliffjumper every time for me.

I am now going to have to buy two Roadburns in the hope of a third party Cliffjumper head!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zan Jayna

Zan Jayna Member

Haha, I just read this whole thread and at the end of it I realized his name is Chase and its not that hes a chase toy.. Thank goodness!
    I would be more into these if they had headmassters. I liked Wheelie but the rest are too floppy..

10. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

I think i'll use him as Micromaster Roadhandler.

11. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both this guy and Bumblebee, and my copy of Roadburn is way, way more finicky and fragile feeling than Bee. Which is a shame as his colors are better than Bee's, in my opinion.

Is anyone else's harder to transform than their Bumblebee?

12. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Why they choose this over Cliffjumper I'll never know. I still need to get another Bee, paint his head red, then swap it over so I'll have Cliffjumper, Bee, and a bonus Bumper.

13. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Why should Bumblebee always/ever be repainted as Cliffjumper? I don't get it, the original base car for each one in G1 was completely different...just because they were both squashed 'cute' vehicles with the same transformation? I reckon thank god they chose absolutely anyone other than Cliffjumper, the dude deserves his own legends mold.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Because they're doing the Throttlebots now along with the other 1987 characters.

I don't actually mind Freeway and Searchlight end up being straight repaints of Roadburn. If they can't get the name Goldbug, and instead go with Gold Bumblebee, then I don't suppose I'd mind a blue Bumblebee head but I'd rather have a new Goldbug head.

15. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I don't buy that for an instant. The toy's head and the Marvel head are almost exactly the same.

And look at the cardback artwork! What's Roadburn doing? Shining a light from his eyes! A searchlight, perhaps?