Titans Returns Octane with Murk

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by maku098, May 1, 2017.

1. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    Oh look, more Titans Returns figures came out in the Philippines before (as far as I know) everywhere else! Ramhorn, Blitzwing and Octane were available to purchase during The Last Knight Toy Lauch at SM Mall of Asia, as well as some other malls in the Philippines. I'll be sharing some pictures of only Blitzwing and Octane, as I don't care much for the new Ramhorn figure. Like I've said before, not really great at saying a lot about figures, but I'll try!

Anyway, let's start off with my favorite of the two, Octane!
    [​IMG]
    Obviously, he comes from the same mold as the Laser Prime Voyager figure, but with a new chest, new gun, new wings, new shoulder pylons (?), and of course a new head.
    [​IMG]
    Here's another pic with the head antenna up. Personally, it doesn't do anything for him, and he looks great without it. The combination of everything about him (Color scheme, Looks) meshes well together, which IMO makes him a much better figure than any of the Optimus Prime molds.
    [​IMG]
    His headsculpt is one of the other reasons why I prefer this guy over Blitzwing. It's so nice to look at.
    [​IMG]
    Murk's robot mode. Pretty much the same as Diac.
    [​IMG]
    Octane's truck mode. I think he looks great in this mode, and is probably my favorite of the 2 alt modes, because he looks so smooth here.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the side so you can see the design. Unfortunately, it's all stickers for the wings and the side of the truck.
    [​IMG]
    Octane's plane mode. This is a much better looking plane mode than the Prime mold, and it's clearly due to the wings. Octane's wings are much longer than Prime's wings (I'm basing this off of pics of Voyager Prime, as I don't own him), and fits the design much better. The black gun pegs on top of the area where the Titan Master stays (aka the transparent part at the top), but the connection isn't really good.
    [​IMG]
    The gang's back together!

Overall, I really like Octane the most out of the 3 main Decepticon triple changers. He looks the best out of the 3 IMO, due to how clean he looks. Great facesculpt and a great overall retool. Nitpicks would include the gun not locking in well in plane mode, the wings not really locking in during robot mode, and the stickers. A little more paint would have been great, and tampos would be so much better than pre-applied stickers. Otherwise, he's a great figure.

(EDIT: Gepard informed me that I just have to squeeze a little harder on the nosecone. Holds very well.)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 28
  2. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Nice review mate! :) 

Really surprised at the amount of remolding going on here, even the front of the jet got redone...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easily the best use of this mold. I'm replacing my deluxe Octane as soon as Takara releases this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with Bountyan. This is definitely the best version of the Optimus mold. I love his colours

While I'm unsure of Blitzwing, I can definitely see myself getting this guy if I can spare the funds

• Like Like x 1
  5. pyrotechnic

pyrotechnic Junkion

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Can I request a pic of Murk on Galvatron?

6. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good review!

Love it. I absolutely love the prime, im sure ill just love this. Keep provider on the shelf and have an octane to play with!

Jet mode really shines. Even though its not quite the fuel tanker look I would hope for, its still decent. still looks very F104 starfighter to me.

7. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Wow he looks so good. This went from a no real interest to a definite buy. Hopefully he shows up around here with all the movie toys on the shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Are the jet and truck windows stickers again, or are they painted this time around?

9. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    Sadly, I don't have Galvatron.

Jet windows look definitely painted, not sure about the truck windows.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. Unlike Prime, the jet mold actually looks good. Why didn't they use those wings for the Prime figure? I am actually tempted but since I plan on getting the Scourge repaint it's not good enough for me to get this mold for a fourth time to replace the deluxe Octane (Tankor) from a few years ago.

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Octane looks great! I am a bit disappointed with the recent reliance on stickers for the voyager class figures, and I'm almost tempted to wait for a Takara release.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's what I'll be doing. I hate stickers

• Like Like x 1
  13. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Very nice version of Octane - gimme

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this guy wins the mold.

Both jet and truck mode look better than the Optimus version, especially since the new wings have slots to tab in place on the legs for truck mode. It holds really well.

My copy seemed to be the same way until I gave both halves a firm squeeze and they snapped together with an audible click. Might be worth trying on yours.

15. Space Skeletor

Space Skeletor On umpteenth levels of outdated memes.

Except the Optimus version's wings also have the ability to tab in, too?

You're probably right about Octone holding better, though. Sometimes it'll take me a while just to get those wings in place because of the hinge smack dab in the middle just so Prime has the option of no wings in robot mode, and it'll dislodge on me when I try to do the other leg.

Edit: (Too bad the instructions, at least for Chaos on Velocitron, don't clarify that the wings actually tab in place for Prime)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  16. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unlike the other TR figures with stickers, I like the ones on this guy. They evoke the stickers on G1 Octane without being too overbearing or being placed in spots where they're likely to peel. They work especially well on the wings -- big, flat, smooth surfaces.

I guess so? It's never worked very well on my copy of Optimus. The tabs and slots on Octone are way better. The wings being rigid and a lot longer helps a lot.

The truck cab fits together a lot better on Octone than Optimus, too. The swivels on the shoulder pylons are looser, though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having trouble getting the front halves of the cab to peg together properly....hmm....

18. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

It's a pretty good match.
    20170513_192830-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. tholmes6

tholmes6 (Head) Master Stylist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 6
  20. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was surprised to find Octane Saturday morning at retail. Overall the figure looks great, but the cheap stickers are still annoying. Annoying enough that I'm still likely going to buy a Takara version of Octane and Blitzwing.