Titans Return Twin Twist & Flameout

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by DaftRaider, Jul 3, 2017.

1. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    I didn't see a thread, so here goes!

I was lucky enough today to get my hands on the new deluxe class Twin Twist, fresh out of the shipping box. I never had much of a connection to the character, or his brother, until reading Last Stand of the Wreckers, but now thanks to the Titans Return line, they've quickly risen to the spotlight of my TR purchases in the deluxe class.

VEHICLE MODE:

Twin Twist transforms into the expected twin drill tank. Obviously, he shares the same basic form as Topspin, except for the tank treads on what will become the upper arms, the two drills replacing Topspin's nose nacelles, and the engines on the back have been remolded.

20170703_161723.jpg
    20170703_190312.jpg

TITAN MASTER AND ACCESSORIES

Flameout is just a repaint of Topspin's Titan Master, Freezeout, just with a different face on his back. The painted visor makes his face pop quite nicely.

The guns are the same as Topspin's, just molded in a different colour under the silver paint.

20170703_190346.jpg

TRANSFORMATION

Naturally, his transformation is exactly the same as Topspin's, with the added step of the treads on his upper arms swinging all the way back, instead of just angling back slightly like Topspin's wings.

ROBOT MODE

This is where Twin Twist shines, just like his brother. They look fantastic together, and his face sculpt is also great, looking sufficiently different from Topspin, but keeping it just familiar enough to show the connection between the two.

20170703_161222.jpg
    20170703_190641.jpg

Frankly, Twin Twist is another home run for the Titans Return line. I think I even like him more than Topspin.

You can also swap parts between the two, since they share the same... well, most of the figure. They look good with more solid colour layouts, but be warned if you wish to do this, the tabs on Twin Twist's arms that lock the arms in place in vehicle mode seem to be ever so slightly thicker than Topspin's, and may stress or crack the plastic in the nose section.

20170703_165455.jpg
    20170703_181705.jpg

CONCLUSION

Get him. Just get him, it's simple as that. If you liked Topspin, you'll like Twin Twist too.

• Like Like x 26
  2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I kinda like the solid color alts, as nondescript as it leaves Twin Twist's vehicle mode (alien forklift, maybe?).

Too bad the Titanmaster's torso isn't blue.

3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Gonna wait for the Takara version, I am sure it will come as a 2 character pack.

4. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

He looks great! And thanks for the colour swap images - I've been contemplating dyeing and all-white Topspin to make a Missfire, and partnering an all-blue Twintwist with Ramhorn to make Drillhorn.

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fantastic!!!

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They both look awesome together and glad I pre-ordered the wave 5 of the figures.

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking again, twin twist was one of my fav toys as a kid. I just loved that thing. For some reason I thought the treads flipped on his back. Its not a killer, but man..he sure would have been perfect if that had happened.

No matter what Ill get this guy. Prolly 2, one to paint up. Ive been waiting for a new GOOD twin twist. this is it.

8. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fab toy again, just like his brother.

If I was picky I'd want to mount the guns on top of the vehicle either side of the cockpit but he's great fun.

9. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Mine too. I remember being obsessed with getting him. And amongst all of my more "sophisticated" G1 toys, Twin Twist was always a go-to figure.

Can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    I don't know why but I really like the look of this guy. Really not a fan of Topspin, looks too much like Skids for me. However a simple couple of changes and I like him a lot. I am very tempted.

11. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I appreciate the note about the arm tabs for parts-swapping.

I'm surprised they bothered to remould the thrusters. Very nice. I can't wait to see what TakaraTomy does with them, and I can't wait to get them in-hand for myself.

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twinspin and Toptwist look pretty cool. I may get extras to swap and sand the tabs to prevent breakage.

13. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

At retailers yet?

14. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Titans Return Twin Twist with Flameout

As soon as a Titans Return version of Topspin was rumoured people began to speculate on Twin Twist being done too and done as a retool of Topspin. Although very similar in many ways the originals don't actually share any parts but I could see the reasoning. The week before Toyfair he turned up on a Case Listing from a retailer and then the night before the show he was accidentally revealed on Twitter by Hasbro themselves, the latest in a long line of similar mishaps, before being officially revealed in the showroom, alongside his brother who was already out, with his official images following later that day.

In contrast to the original Twin Twist the Titans Return version appears to be largely reused from Topspin, albeit with a great many parts swapping colours. The blue lower arms leg fronts and Titanmaster arms, lower legs & head become white while the white of the guns, chest and upper part of the upper legs become blue, the latter acquiring a coat of white paint. The white of the waist, knees and Titanmaster chest & upper legs stays the same resulting in Burnout becoming all white. New parts are all white and include the deluxe robot head, upper arm, tank treads, drill section, feet, which look identical in this mode but aren't, and back of the legs. This last section, under the vehicle and behind the robot, might seem an necessary remould but it's been changed to include wheels to allow the toy to roll along better in vehicle mode. The tank tread look a little odd on the side of the shoulders and towering over them, the original Twin Twist had his treads built into the back of his arms.

Transformation is nearly exactly the same as Top Spin's. The only real difference is when the arms are pushed into the body of the tank the tank treads need to be folded down.

Vehicle mode is, yes you've guessed it, a drill tank with twin drills at the front! While the original Twin Twist had drills whose thread indicated they turn the same way, the Titans Return version has threads which oppose each other indicating they'd turn in opposite directions. Of course, like almost every other Transformers drill tank they don't turn! He feels longer than the original toy, more than Twin Twist did who length was balanced by the wings to the side. Two wheels under the rear and one under each tank tread allow Twin Twist to roll along. The rear of the vehicle has new, rectangular thrusters formed from the rear leg section and new feet. With the wings gone you need to look for somewhere else to mount the guns and you're left with either the 5mm peg holes on the sides of the rear, inherited from Topspin, or new 5mm holes on the sides of the tracks. Either way you're looking at something that extends the width of the toy. I'd have been very tempted to replace the guns with new weapons that could be placed flat against the side of the vehicle mirroring his original gun. Once again there's no way to attach the combined weapon to the top of the toy so the Titanmaster can sit in it and no used for the twin rectangular slot on the top of the toy which really look like they should do something.

I like Twin Twist, I really do,but he's not blowing me away like Top Spin did and the reasons why not are quite varied. Top Spin's Titan Return version really was an improvement on the original, which felt like a wedge with wings whereas the new version feels like a space fighter. Of the original Jumpstarters Twin Twist always was the better, the drills felt like they did something and gave the toy a purpose that Topspin didn't have so the addition of a cockpit here doesn't feel like that great an improvement. The Titans Return mould feels like it's designed to be Top Spin and adapted to be Twin Twist and that's keenly felt in Twin Twist's arms that do nothing to camouflage the tank treads. And I really, really wish they given them different guns!

15. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

20170820_093118.jpg 20170819_192430-1.jpg 20170819_192139-1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This guy's transformatio is downright addictive. What an awesome toy.

17. Squidcatfish

Squidcatfish Active Member

The ball joint stalk on the right shoulder of my figure is slightly longer than the left. This keeps his arm from pegging in during his transformation. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just my luck?

18. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How's the face on everyone's Twintwist figure?

19. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

Anyone finding this at retail?

20. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Yes this wave is showing up at Targets and TRU. Found mine at a Target yesterday and a few others have as well (from the Sightings forum).