Titans Return Sharkticon Gnaw Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by pokemonsdoom, Nov 25, 2016.

1. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Cultist of Unicron.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    once again, no camera no pictures and I am sorry for that cause I like taking pictures.

So Gnaw should you get him? If you want to.

Beast Mode:

His beast mode is pretty cool, Translucent green eyes on him, though I do fear for the longevity of this part, the whole top front of his beast mode is in that plastic and it is on Faux Ratcheting joint,
    The arms are on a swivel on the shoulders can do a full 360 in theory, they get blocked by the hips on Gnaw. The Jaws can open quite a bit, around 135 degrees, On his Bottom Jaw is two points to plug a titan master in, He gives them rides in his mouth. Hips are pn a ball joint as are the knees and do to transformation the hips get some forward and back in a shuffle motion. Onto Robot mode

Remove the tail from his back and rotate the upper half on the hinge near his dorsal fin. and seperate them, Rotate the upper jaws to the back to form the feet. Go the back and flip up his head and flatten the lower jaw. Push the dorsal fin up. what were the beast mode hips are on a double hinge part, you want to pull them out and up then push back in near the top to form his shoulders. now just adjust everything to the right orientation. and plug in his mace to one of his hands.

Robot Mode: cant say I am a fan, from the side he looks well looks like someone just sliced off his back and glued it to his feet. his arms are the beast mode hips so same articulated, but do to how he is molded he has a permanent elbow curl, so even if you straighten the arms out and pointed down , his hands are always parallel to the floor. and he has slight curl to his knees and they bend just little more than 45 degrees, Hips are on ball joint so full forward and back along with full splits motion, head is on a rotation joint full 360 here, I am gonna say it, I think the robot mode sucks and was an after thought to the beast mode. but i bought him for the beast mode so he will stay in beast mode, I will say he looks kind of cute with how fat he is and the paint matching is wonderful.

• Like Like x 2
  2. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Titans Return Gnaw

Here in the UK we never knew the 1986 toy Gnaw existed. Yes he had a Transformers Universe entry, but then so did Kranix, Arblus and the Junkions, also minor movie Characters, as did Unicron & Arcee, much more major characters! Years later I discovered a toy did exist and he was in a case assortment with the Predacons, another set of toys the UK missed out on. I'll admit to not being impressed with the original toy when I saw one, based on the ball shaped Sharkticons in the Quintessons Judgement Chamber, preferring the longer sleeker versions seen earlier in the movie battling Hot Rod.

There's been one previous Sharkticon remake, the Energon Sharkticon, which followed a completely different design. Then in November 2013 one popped up on a Computer listing as a Legends class toy packed with a Minicon called Gnash and having the Hasbro product number A7804. But even then there was some doubt over his release with the listings showing another toy, Nemesis Prime with Spinister taking his product number. Since then every time there's been a toy reveal people have been hoping that Gnaw, and the similarly vanished from that list Legends version of Brawn would show up. Finally at San Diego Comicon 2016 Transformers Breakfast Event Legends Gnaw was revealed with Legends Brawn following at New York Comicon 2016.

Gnaw's robot mode looks very similar to the original: short and round with a large head. All the features look to be in the same place, including the teeth around his neck, and he comes with a moulded ball & chain weapon. His arms look a little odd, moulded so the straightest you can get them is a 120° angle, which I don't like. However it means they can be bent at the ball joint elbow so the lower arms rests against his upper arm. Ball joints at the shoulder & hip too with bending knee and rotating head.

Transformation: remove the ball & chain weapon. Fold the fin on his back down between his legs. Spread the legs slightly, slipping the 5mm handles of the ball & chain into the recesses in the upper legs and then bring the legs together tabbing the feet, and the robot upper jaw on his heels, together with the fin between the lower legs. Rotate his head 180° and fold it, and the lower jaw backward. Fold the lower legs onto the robot's back tabbing in behind the shoulders. Fold the robot's shoulders down towards it's waist. Bend the robot's arms to form the Sharkticon's legs and stand.

You get exactly what you'd expect here: a ball on legs with a shark's fin sticking out the top. I've always thought these Transformers were more Piranha than Shark to be honest! But it looks almost exactly like what you see in film and with the original toy. The arms turn at the shoulders and the legs, formed from the arms, are ball jointed at knee & hip. In addition to the 5mm peg hole through the foot, from when it was a hand, there's another UNDER the foot and for the life of me I can't figure out what it's for.

But the real fun in this mode is the mouth. Both upper & lower jaws open, almost to a 180°angle between them. A VERY wide mouth! In the lower jaw there are a pair of Titanmaster foot pegs letting you stand a Titanmaster inside it's mouth while the mouth closes around him. It's the maddest Transformer piloting position I've seen since Skullcruncher in 1987!

Mad toy! Just the right size for swarming all over deluxe figures and, because of the size, the right price to allow army building. You'll want more than one.

Gnaw is sold in Titans Return Wave 3 at 3 per case with 3 x Bumblebee and 2 x Kickback. It may not be enough Gnaws.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got mine the other day. He is an instant fave. Best of wave 3 legends. I will get 2-3 more of him. Very cute figure and looks good in both modes. Easy recommend.

4. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    For me Gnaw is certainly the best legends toy of 2016. I might go a bit further to say of all from 2016(well i didn't buy too many that is true but still)...

Not bad for a toy Hasbro wasn't sure what to do with.

Any flaws he has such as limited articulation are forgiven. He is just a joy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's an adorable little runt!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine had a loose shark arm and face, and mold flash in a few places.
    It's nice to finally have an official updated Sharkticon based off the G1 version though.

7. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would definitely put Gnaw on my top five favorite Legends figures list. It really is a fun little figure.
    My ONLY gripe with it is that the knees tone't go straight due to the design. The plus side is it makes him more of a chunk-stuff, which isn't a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

He been spotted in the wild yet?

9. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Yup, just picked up 2 at Walmart. SUPER awesome figure, perfect.

10. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Found this guy at a Walmart today. I haven't gotten Bee or Kickback yet and Gnaw is easily my favorite of the three.

11. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

It looks to me, with proper customization, any Gnaw could be made into a Squig from the Warhammer series.

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Ok so, did anyone elses neck on Gnaw just completely disintegrate and tear as soon as you turned his head around, right after you take it out of the box?

Or is that just me?

13. pokemonsdoom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So far just you reported it

14. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine in the mail today & he's an awesome little Derpatron IMHO

15. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really love this guy. I need a couple more of him.

16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    I have 2 so far. The bot mode is crap in all honesty but the good news is that they'll never leave their Sharticon modes anyway. I'll try to find 2 more.

Gnaw wins the Legends Class popularity vote of 2016 but quality wise I think Kickback is better.

17. pokemonsdoom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohh thank god someone else who likes kickback more than gnaw

18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's like how can you not when love both modes of Kickback vs only liking 1 of Gnaws. I still hope they make a Deluxe class version down the line or a Deluxe Allicon.

Better yet give us a Quintesson figure with an updated gimmick that warrants it's purchase but still has that G1 vibe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  19. pokemonsdoom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here, besides i think 2 strong modes is better than 1 ok mode

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I really like this figure, but the small size really detracts from the overall presentation. A nice addition to the shelf, but it doesn't do the Sharkticon justice. For me, a sharkticon has to be deluxe... or larger!

I'm with you both on this one. Kickback is perfect. Gnaw is fun, but I find the toy lacking.