Titans Return Perceptor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rob_charb, Jan 28, 2017.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This guy got delivered today, along with Top Spin, so here's a quick look at him. First, there seems to have been some reworking done to the ports for the Titan Masters as both Percie's and Top Spin's head click into place and require quite a bit of force to remove them. The Titan Master has absolutely no paint on him other than Perceptor's face, and with him being mostly black, it's damn near impossible to make out the sculpted details. He's your basic Titan Master we've seen over and over again by now.

Perceptor himself is really nice. He has a great amount of articulation, minus a waist, wrist swivels or ankle tilt, but what joints are there work really well. No looseness or floppiness anywhere on this guy. The shoulders are a bit of an issue as they hinge up for bot mode, but don't lock in anywhere that I can see, so they have a habit of swinging down when posing the figure. Other than that, no issues I can see.

His microscope mode is pretty neat. There are pegs on the "base" of the microscope for Titan Masters. The coolest part though is that the microscope actually has lenses on both ends and when you twist the knob on top, it extends the barrel! That's a really nice touch that Hasbro didn't need to include.

The "tank" mode is pretty weak. There isn't anywhere for a Titan Master, other than the pegs on the base of the microscope. Overall, it feels like it's just there because the G1 figure could do it.

Out of the deluxes we've had so far in the line, I'd say Percie easily ranks in the top 5. He's solid, doesn't feel cheap and looks really good. It would have been nice if he could have pulled off a prone sniping position since his rifle has a stand on the barrel, but he's still a solid figure and a much better update than the Generations one from a few years back.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the great review!

3. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

If I was only able to get one more figure from the rest of Titans Return, it'd definitely be Perceptor.

I will stand by that opinion until we see what Leader class Overlord looks like.

5. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

I got him in with Topspin and Kup. Perceptor is pretty underwhelming to be honest. The thigh hinges don't lock in, and that transformation joint pushes the knee joint too far down the leg. The shoulder's don't lock into robot mode, and the arms have some wiggle in microscope mode. There isn't a confortable amount of clearance between the heel of the titanmaster and the assembly his scope slides on.

Overall, it seems like the design needed another pass. Locking points, figuring out how to get more natural knees, ect.

Any clue what the lower hinge on the chest asembly is, the one below the silver logo plate?

6. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crazy how almost 30 years on we still have toys based on old Microman figures, incorporating the tank even despite that the rider for the tank was a 3 3/4 inch figure! Now it has a headmaster to, what is not to love!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    if anybody has both Perceptor and Alpha Trion, would you be kind enough to post a photo of Perceptor's head on Alpha Trion's body? Much appreciated!

8. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Just ordered TR Kup in, and with this and Perceptor that will complete my purchases for this wave. Can't wait for Perceptor!

9. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oooh I think I want this whole wave

10. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Big fan of this figure. Love that it returns Perceptor to his microscope mode and the look of both modes is excellent. Doesn't have hyper articulation but it isn't a toy that really needs it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like the figure aside from:
    -the head hitting into the scope bar. Can't look straight ahead without lifting the Headmaster legs up a bit.
    -those shoulder joints. I definitely see them loosening over time.
    Aside from those things, this is a seriously GOOD figure. I just wish he had his G1 gun instead of the sniper rifle. Why a sniper rifle anyway?

12. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

[​IMG]
    Because he has one in IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh.
    I'll find something else for him. I think I have a spare G1 one around here somewhere...

14. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Anyone with this figure have the old iGear pistols and/or sniper rifle? I really want to see how they look with this guy.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I love this figure, this is the one I wanted the most out of wave 4. I like RTS Perceptor but this one to me, is the better figure. All 3 modes are fun. Is there a way the rifle is designed to attach in alt modes? Like a specific way?

Also is the chest somewhere that the Titan Master is supposed to stand or sit in for tank mode?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Really on the fence on this one. Can't decide if I wait and see if Takara's take on it will be cartoon accurate or if I buy the Hasbro one. The older generations figure had basically the same colors, Hasbro and Takara alike.

17. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In fairness, I think Perceptor is one of the few characters where the toy and cartoon model match pretty well in terms of deco. The only big differences I can imagine there being between the Hasbro and TT versions might be the shades of blue and red they use. And possibly making the extendable part of the scope white instead of blue

A few additional photos for your viewing pleasure

[​IMG]
    Titans Return Perceptor
    by Brandon Farrelly, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Titans Return Perceptor

[​IMG]
    Titans Return Perceptor

[​IMG]
    Titans Return Perceptor

[​IMG]
    Titans Return Perceptor

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  18. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    No doubt the Takara version will also have blue eyes instead of yellow.

19. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoops:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    My review:

Hasbro actually did it. They released a modern Perceptor that has a microscope alt mode, which in itself is already a huge win for me.

Microscope mode
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's a very faithful recreation of the G1 toy, down to the sticker details on the outside of the base. The object lens can be adjusted by the silver knob to extend or retract. It looks like both lenses are actually magnifying glass but it is hardly a "functional" microscope. I've never owned G1 Perceptor back in the day, but I loved the miniature microscope I had. Not sure if the kids today would appreciate a microscope for an alt mode.

[​IMG]
    How this mode interacts with TMs is they can be put on the stage like a slide to be "examined". There's no other way to store his Titan master but I'm not overly concerned about having to store every part in every mode.

Tank mode
    This mode is not even in the instructions, but there's actually more dedicated parts and joints for this mode than the microscope mode, and I do very appreciate HasTak to have included this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Again, for what it is, it is quite faithful to the G1 toy, down to the angled up body. The painted treads look nice.

[​IMG]
    Just a couple of specific engineering for tank mode: there's a tab the end of the black platform that the microscope tube hooks on; and the front of the robot waist piece can lift up for better access to pilot area. They didn't use the standard foot pegs here for Convex to stand, but instead there's a couple of tabs that are supposed to hold the standard peg on the back of any TM's legs, and a one tab to go between a groove cut on Convex's legs. As far I can tell, this groove doesn't exist on any other TM, which means only Convex can fit in this pilot area. Pretty strange design choice. Worse still, due to tolerance issue, I haven't been able to fully peg Convex in, so he now only kind of stands there, with the chest piece stopping him from falling backwards.

[​IMG]
    The 5mm ports on the either forearm are conveniently positioned here to armor the tank up, and there's one TM peg on either side.

Titan Master Convex
    [​IMG]
    He's neat little G1 toy Perceptor! Although lacking any paint app, the matte black plastic used make the sculpted details look quite nice in person.

Transformation
    It's very similar to the G1 engineering. Again, I do very much appreciate the effort that went into making a third mode.

Robot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I quite like the 'bot mode. The nature of the design allows him to have a very kibble free back. The microscope tube is quite big but again it's toy accurate, and short of parts swapping it is physically impossible to have it shrink like in the cartoon. Also, it is overhung from the back quite a bit and does make him a bit tricky to stand.

[​IMG]
    His head sculpt is IDW-inspired. In person it looks so much better than the CAD renders make it do. TT is most certainly going to replace it with the nerdy scientist face:D  But similar to my feelings towards a lot of TR figures, I like this being an amalgamation of different versions of the character. It gives the new fans that love the current IDW comics extras incentive to buy this toy, just like all those G1 references make us old timers smile. Also it's hard to make out in the photo but the red plastic has a pearly sheen to it.

[​IMG]
    He is a on the small side of Deluxe figures, but I think he scales well with Hot Rod and Kup here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Articulation is quite standard for a deluxe. It's a shame he can't hold his sniper rifle with both hands due to the lack of wrist swivel.

Overall
    I already knew I'd love Kup and everyone's raving about Topspin, but Perceptor turns out to be the pleasant surprise in this wave for me. He doesn't do a whole lotta tricks but the things he does do, they are done very well.

[​IMG]
    “I fear the wounds are...fatal."

• Like Like x 10