Titans Return Kickback

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by The Kup, Nov 14, 2016.

1. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

thanks, this made him much better for me

2. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you look deep in his chest there are foot pedals that only a microman could reach.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm torn. It's a neat representation; I really like the transparent cockpit as it evokes the G1 figure so much, but I also kinda wish they'd just redone the G1 figure with added articulation. I miss the claw hands and his arms opening to make the front legs. Also, the one time I'd have been happy with Hasbro using the shiny grey plastic and they go and make his wings transparent yellow instead. I'd have even settled for smoky grey transparent wings. Pity it obviously shares a sprue with the chest cockpit. I mean either one or the other would've had to have been molded one colour and painted another and it would've been cheaper to paint the chest the right colour rather than the wings. Bum.
    Not said anything about the bug mode yet. It's okay I guess. The arm transformation is clunky, twisting the robot head around is scary since it has that ribbed post, and I really wish the robot legs locked or shortened or something rather than just waggle about at the rear and feeling untransformed like it's missing a step.
    That's a bummer. The problem is that the ribbing on the post is kinda like a premolded fracture point. They really should've either left the posts plain or added a couple of rows of bars going at a ninety degree angle to the ribbing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    They do look good. Wish they didn't cost so much, but they look damn good.

5. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

The tight head joint is easily fixed by unscrewing the back, removing the head, and then shaving a little off all the parts of the joint with an xacto blade. I also used sandpaper to (lightly!) sand down the bottom and sides of the mushroom peg on the head. He's now much less worrisome to transform.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings about Kickback. Bug mode is my favorite mode, and the transparent yellow bits give it a good nostalgic feel, though I miss the silver knife-blade wings. Looks like the things that differentiate it from G1 Kickback are the way they are to allow for a Ransack recolor/remold eventually. Robot mode is less appealing, thanks mostly to those long spindly arms. Wish those were handled more like the G1 toy instead of making into a tail. Regardless, it's a really fun bug, an okay-ish robot, and maybe that's enough. (kinda like Gnaw in that regard)

7. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

picked up today!

fun and a little gooby, just how i like 'em. Wings aren't articulated enough to collapse over the abdomen (for accuracy to fictional grasshopper mecha). Otherwise reallllllly enjoy the transformation and get some perverse pleasure from the assymetrical tab to the titan master cockpit, wooheee.

also, titan master incorporation is diatastic.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I quite like this figure, but that first transformation was nerve-racking. Everything is thin and gets in the way, so you really don't know how to physically hold the thing while you adjust the parts, and the arms-->abdomen isn't particularly natural, so it feels like your always a second away from accidentally snapping something. Sure doesn't help the way the neck and wing joints are designed just BEGS for a tear...
    Luckily on mine the joints tend to be fairly limber, though I'm going to have to loosen up the head and the tabs on the arms.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally don't agree with the fragility concerns, nor those over the length of his arms. I'm having no more trouble handling him than any other Legends figure, and his arms seem perfectly proportionate to me.

I'm just happy to finally have all three Insecticons in the right size class. I remember buying FOC Kickback and contemplating Prime Hardshell back in 2011/2012 because I thought we'd never get a proper team!

• Like Like x 3
  11. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Got him today....cool figure.

Did some necessary adjustments however:

- Silver/Chrome wings
    - Red visor
    - Yellow Chest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then did the same with the chests of the other two Insecticons.

Happy and Harmonious now :) 

[​IMG]

aaaaaaand, just for fun, since my Decepticons are finally amassing:

[​IMG]

aaaaaand, why not.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  12. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Trying to figure out whether I should get the US version now or wait 'till October to pick up the Japanese version. Thoughts?

13. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    If you're willing to pay a little extra for a Kickback that looks better than Hasbro's, then yes, go ahead and get Takara's. :thumb  Plus Takara's Kickback includes a repaint of Ramhorn's Titanmaster as Doubleclouder, so that's a bonus. :) 

14. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yet another impulse-buy for my work desk....

[​IMG]

He's decently-posable in robot mode, if limited somewhat by being a touch back-heavy. Insect mode is pretty much a brick, but that's expected at this size and price point. Arms seem a bit long and spindly to me, but ymmv.

For $11, he's fine. Well-executed for what he is, but not going to set the world on fire. A perfectly decent impulse-buy. Definitely not a must-have unless you're shooting for a complete set of CHUG insecticons.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

I don't understand why some figures of kickback suffer from this shoulder defect where the right one refuses to stay pegged in, so I went and opened mine up. It seems there's some kind of defect where the torso tab that holds his ramping shoulder joint instead stabs into it, warping the plastic ramp at the robot-shoulder-mode end and leaving behind a little crater that said black plastic then lodges into instead of moving up and allowing for proper tabbing. I'm trying to fill in the area with superglue for the moment and letting it cure. I did that last night but then shaving it down to mimic the original ramp shape seems to bring the popping-out back.

Quite an annoying defect considering the other shoulder just happily tabs in...

16. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope that really is the case. A bit more remolding could give us Venom, too. Throw in a Barrage from Bombshell and we'll have all seven of the original Insecticons..

(Actually, simple recolours of Shrapnel, Bombshell and Kickback could also give us Salvo, Shothole, and Zaptrap, as well).

17. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode: Kickback is a highly articulated little robot, who can strike all sorts of cool poses, made even cooler by the fact that he has wings. The traditional Insecticon colors of black and dark purple with yellow highlights still look pretty cool three decades later, so no complaints on that front, either. Kickback carries a bit of a backpack, but it doesn’t really hinder him any.

My one complaint with this figure here is just the lack of a weapon. I know most of the current Legends-Class figures don’t get those, but I don’t have to like it. Otherwise, though, no complaints. Good figure, easy character recognition, and while there is nothing particularly exciting here, neither is there anything wrong.

Alternate Mode: A grasshopper serves as Kickback’s alternate mode. The little bug looks good and while no one will mistake him for a natural grasshopper, he still conveys the image pretty nicely. Like most of the Titans Returns Legends-Class figures he has a cockpit for a Titan Master figure... well, sort of. He flips open the yellow canopy on his back and a Titan Master can sit there, but only the legs fit inside. Still, probably better this way than trying to design the figure in such a way that a Titan Master can fit entirely inside, not sure how that could have worked. So overall a nice insect mode with no flaws worth mentioning. Articulation remains good, the wings can move, everything holds together nicely. No complaints.

Remarks: Kickback is the third wheel… eh, I mean, third member of the Insecticons. Let’s face it, when one of your comrades can control electricity and summon lightning bolts, while the other can shoot mind-controlling shells, your ability to kick real hard isn’t, how shall I put it, the most impressive thing ever. Kickback doesn’t even have a memorable speech impediment to make him stand out any. So yeah, he’s the third Insecticon. Whether Bombshell or Shrapnel is the first is debatable, but Kickback is definitely the third.

Like Bombshell, I got Kickback as a present from my honorary nephew, James Jr., the spawn of CakedUp, which gives him some bonus points. Overall I was never the biggest fan of the Insecticons, but seeing as I got two of three in Legends-Class form now, I will probably get the third one, too (unless CakedUp II: The Sequel gifts that one to me as well). So overall a good little figure. Nothing spectacular, but good.

Rating: B-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com