Titans Return Hot Rod Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why are you so sure that the whole engine is a tampo? I don't think so, detail like that has never been left up to a sticker.

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At this point I think "leaks" that any thing has are just covert advertising.

You can see on the car mode it's not just flat I don't need it to sink in.

If you go by the chart it lists no tampo on the engine and clearly says 2 Ops over Orange which means paint over the orange by the chart.

3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Don't reduce something to an absurd. It's just an example. Back spoilers and shoulder headlights are pretty generic carbot features.

Imagine a carbot with a hood/bumper chest and back wings made of car doors. Now things that make it to work as a Jazz and not Prowl are adherence to details like paintjob AND head sculpts. Not even a chest sculpt, because model of a sport car may change between updates.

Not everyone's MP collector (or has to be), and Classics mold has other issues. It's like saying that nobody should ever need another Shockwave who's not FOC or Legends mini because there's already a Masterpiece one.
    Plus, when Hasbro does an entire toy line with the movie anniversary thrown in as a theme it totally makes sense to them to have a more movie-like Hot Rod in it. Platinum sets aren't part of TR. Nor they can share a toyline-wide gimmick.

It's not a waste of a figure slot to have this Hot Rod made for TR. But you'd have to ask why they should do a Hot Rod figure inspired by any other medium for the same line. Just like if they did an Energon Rodimus instead - how much sense it would have for TR, when the toyline goes straight for the movie and the Rebirth?
    And yeah, there's a Laser Prime incoming, but this one looks like it could work as Octane as well, plus there's also PM Prime coming before.

Of course it IS considerably easier to update bots like Optimus or Megatron because, let's face it, as long as you slap on it the ever-present pecs windows and faceplate it will end close to Optimus. Megatron isn't any harder.
    Hot Rod is a more generic carbot, so it's harder to update it without sticking closer to old models.
    The TR mold already got some slack with arms being too long or back spoiler sitting too low.

Me too.

Especially when said leaks are the same kind of production guides you can see reprinted for CW figures in their pack-ins as a demonstration of their design process.

4. hotrod 2000

hotrod 2000 Member

I liked the Dodge Viper Hot Rod

5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess if they made it possible to transform with the head attached it might please a few more extremists. I'll be okay either way with this one.

6. theautobot

theautobot Active Member

Yes there are some issue with the head and chest. And yes the arms may look a little too big, but I still can't wait to get this guy. If(or preferably when) a third party make a more Current IDW head for this guy I will buy it in an instant. Then all I need is a third party to make this body:
    [​IMG]
    to put this guys head on and I'll have my two favorite Rodimus designs.

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'd say that both MTME or Figueroa's Hot Rods would be best if they were released in a line with no need for things like HM cockpits or Combiner ports.
    Depends what the next gimmick is it may or may not be as demanding on the figure.

8. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

This design to me looks like something from the live action movies. Def not a fan.

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Yep. It's a molded detail that's part of the car hood that will be painted silver. No tampo or sticker.

10. theautobot

theautobot Active Member

I totally get not liking the design. It's not for everybody.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The figure is a deluxe, as was starscream and astrotrain when they were released with him. Those figures were meant to be a one time deal to fill the gap between cybertron and the upcoming movie figures. Their success at retail started what we have today with it being a full fledge line. In that regard hot rodimus wasn't designed with thought towards scaling with future product.

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't dislike aspects of a figure or point them out. I don't like generations arm design either, but when throw around hyperbole comments like the figure is shit or they're gonna throw the mold in garbage now that we're getting an improved version, that what is sad.

And yeah, we're spoiled, sorry, read every figure thread where people do nitpick the smallest things like not buying an otherwise great figure cause the headsculpy isn't perfect or some such shit like that. And let's not pretend like TBS or ML isn't without their faults either. Tons of complaints about mold laziness with TBS (see Jedi Luke) or piss poor paint apps for both lines. And while ML has improved by giving us some great standard bucks, it's the new DCUC where the majority of the line is simple repaints with new heads.

I won't even consider your other examples as they're meant to be high end lines not meant for mainstream distribution.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I never realized Classics Rodimus is a manlet. :lol 

Generations Arcee is a bit smaller though when comparing them next to each other on a shelf.

It's possible, like down the line.

13. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

That's more a fault with Bumblebee though. A small scout got a deluxe toy. The Legends Bumblebee mold (current one) scales more properly as do all then legends minibots.

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I use the older Legends scout toy from Family Dollar. The Commander-Class Legends figure is too WfC in design.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And it was fantastic.
    Just like Warpath.

But that's when they were going forward.

16. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to get flamed or whatever but how about a headmaster Sunstreaker like in the IDW comics where the government agency or whoever kidnapped him and the kid made the kid a headmaster.

17. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I want one too, but only if the alt mode looks also good and not like the CW "Lamborghini" mold. I often debate wether to look for Henkei Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, but then again, for that prices they go for currently, I don't need them that much... Maybe I just buy a MP Swipe and call it a day.

18. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

Someone said that Leader Class Rodimus Prime and IDW MTME Thunderclash could share a mold/remold. I concur.

19. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    That would never have occurred to me but could definitely work.

20. Greylight

Greylight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on how wonderfully G1 accurate much of the Titans Return line seems to be, especially Blurr and Wheelie, I was expecting Hot Rod to get the same treatment. But for me, this figure doesn't reach the bar set so high by previously revealed figures.

The alt mode is too rounded, and looks too much like the Animated design to me. And the bot mode design just doesn't really stand out. In many ways, I still like the Classics version better.

That said, I'm still glad it's not IDW. I'm hoping a larger scaled, more G1-styled Rodimus Prime is in the works. And I hope the rumored Kup is of the same G1 design standard as Blurr.