Titans Return Hot Rod Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

It's less the fact that people want to replace the old version, buy that they must shit on it to justify getting a new one. I see it all the time; MP01 getting shit on because of mp 10. Alternators being shit on because of new mps, even scoria being shit on because of a new addition.

It's this weird need to invalid old toys to justify buying a newer version. Happens in every thread and just it's just sad to such immature behavior being displayed. People are far too negative about every these days, maybe we're just too spoiled when it comes to our hobby.

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Classics Hot Rod is a pretty looking toy, but lack of full arm articulation is hard to justify in the line it came from. If you don't have an upgrade armor for him, the figure's pretty screwed.
    Wouldn't consider getting TR Hot Rod if Classics was ok, as it looks great. But I'm not nearly enough good at modding to build in any more shoulder articulation and not mutilate the figure, so...

Titanium Rodimus is pretty ok, despite shotcomings of its toy subline (though, it has some).

It's not like old molds are a complete waste of plastic, but they often have valid issues.

3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Get TR Hot Rod. Display him on the "Masters" shelf and Classic Hot Rod on the "86" shelf. Now both get rep'ed.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Another problem with the Classics version of Roddy without that armor is he's pretty damn short all things considered. My Generations Autobot line up is missing various members, but while my RtS Roddy is dead center of the whole shelf (just worked out that way), he's only about par in height with Generations Hoist/Trailbreaker and Generations Wheeljack - and the latter was intentionally made shorter than Tracks to mimic the dwarfish toy. Classics Bumblebee (WM "Legacy" 2008 3-pack deco) is the only deluxe actually shorter than him in any significant amount, which then is immediately canceled thanks to the Sea Doo flightpack attachment. Almost every other deluxe I own surpasses Rodimus in height.

Hell, the original is taller than the Classics!
    [​IMG]

I'm usually not one for arguing about proper size adherence, but Hot Rod should not be barely taller than freakin' Bumblebee.

5. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the only problem I have with the generatons hot rod is that the shoulder on both of the versions I have keeps popping off , fairly easily while my boy plays with him

6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:

You're pretty greatly over exaggerating the differences between G1 and MtMtE Rodimus. He's got his big-ass spoiler on his back and pipes on his wrists. And he's got a generic light grey face with blue eyes like 80% of all the Autobots.

The real reason this toy doesn't resemble IDW Rodimus is that this is a Movie Anniversary Year, and 84-86 always takes universal priority over any other era of the franchise. We'll do all this again in 5 years, then 15 after that. It's a miracle that we've actually moved to 87 this year. We can only hope that between those years we get a chance to do some Beast Wars, or some UT, or some IDW.

7. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, there's no need to denigrate something.. But a lot of those examples you point out aren't as good as the new item they're being compared to.. I have the masterpiece figures and almost all of the binaltech figures. While I still like the binaltech figures, there's no doubt (in my mind) that the masterpiece cars are FAR better.

I also own MP-01, MP-04, MP-10, and hasbro's MP-10.. And there's no doubt that I like the MP-10 mold better. 01 and 04 have their merits. But if I could only own one of the molds, it'd be 10.

This hobby (transformers) is absolutely not spoiled.. We're seeing main line figures get cheapened at a surprising rate. Other lines. Even ones that hasbro produces (the black series & the legends series) are improving. Then you look at companies like figuarts, medicom, revoltech, and even DCC.. All improving. Then you have the higher end like hot toys who continues to innovate. Hasbro, with main line transformers, just seems to be going backwards.

The only saving grace for me is the direction of the masterpiece line.

Anyways.. Classics hot rod is just a really terrible figure, it was a bad figure when it came out, and it's still a poor mold.

This figure doesn't look terrible like some of the others, but I still wish we were getting an IDW version. I have the perfect iteration of G1 hot rod already. I want the IDW version. And while they're at it, I want IDW versions of the seekers. But something tells me that all of those figures would require some real engineering to pull off, something hasbro isn't too keen on investing in these days. Well.. They are keen on it, their goal is just to keep costs down as much as physically possible and I don't think that type of restriction would produce good molds of those characters.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    For those who want a more IDW looking Rodimus I think there's a good chance that we'll get a Voyager Rodimus Prime that has IDW elements to the design but with the G1 Rodimus toy alt mode similar to how CW Ultra Magnus did it. Hasbro never said anything about we're only getting Hot Rod.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I don't see any exaggeration when you basically pointed that pipes on wrists and spoiler are what is from Hot Rod on MTME design.

One repaint away from looking like a different bot. :) 

10. Matt TooFast4U

Matt TooFast4U Needs a life

Oo! Oo! How about Menasor?:D 

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Almost entire CW gets by with head swaps and repaints.

If they're lucky it works good enough for some characters. If they don't...

CW Prowl is a nice figure on its own despite the mold, but is it a really good redesign looking like Prowl if you take away its head and strip it from paint apps?

TR already looks better in this department. If there even was a Deluxe CW Hot Rod it would end with a different head. If lucky enough, with a different chest plate and wrist pipes. If really, really lucky, his weapon would come with spoiler wings to peg on his back...

And there even might be an MTME Hot Rod down the line if Hasbro decides that it's worth it and I don't have any rage over it being ever made. But it will be after this one more classic-y update, so okay. Because that way everyone might get what they want.

12. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I really like this version of Hotrod and they fixed my one gripe with Classics HR: arm swivel. That said, Classics HR always has a place in my collection. He's a damn fun toyon his own and the protector armor only adds to that.

13. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I guess I don't understand what other distinguishing qualities Rodimus has other than the pipes and the spoiler.
    [​IMG]

Like, from a purely monochrome visual standpoint, what distinguishing features does Optimus Prime have outside of his window boobs, pointy ear thingies, and occasional faceplate?

14. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's mostly the colour combo.

15. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Right, but Haywired's argument is that a figure shouldn't need a color scheme to inform its identity.

16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

You mean window boobs and faceplate that aren't repeated too often on other bots in a similar combination unless it's Ultra Magnus or Nemesis Prime?
    It's like asking what G1-esque Megatron has going for him than a wrist cannon and a bucket helmet.

Back spoilers aren't that unique. NuRID Steeljaw has one, for an example.

And this MP Hot Rod is yet another good example. MTME Rodimus head isn't even close in shape with all pointy bits and plates. Classic Rod head is a clean helmet with a simple ridge and a one small pair of wings.

I'm sorry that MTME fans feel sorry because the release wasn't prioritised only for them, but...

It doesn't mean there won't be an MTME Hot Rod in future.

17. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Uh, Seekers? Datsuns? Bumblebee and Cliffjumper? Nemesis Prime? Saying colours should have nothing to do with how a Transformer is identified is like saying Pizza should have nothing to do with what kind of sauce you use. Sure, it sometimes doesn't matter but in most cases it's impossible not to.

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

But when the color scheme is basically one thing that the design got in place... Then you could say that CW head retools are spot on accurate G1 updated designs. Especially for Mirage or Prowl. Or that Armada Optimus = G1 Optimus. :ev: 

And yeah, close to the TFTM anniversarry it's pretty obvious that classic designs may be prioritised over anything else.
    Chromedome's lucky, since his robot mode design can be both movie and MTME homage.

19. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Are you implying that this toy would look just as much like Steeljaw than Rodimus if it had blue paint?

I don't think a Rodimus toy should be prioritized for us, because I don't think an IDW Rodimus toy would only be bought by comic book reading toy collectors. I just think that one of the five Hot Rod/imus toys coming out between 2015 and 2017 ought to be directed at someone other than a fan of G1 movie, even if it's the anniversary, because let's face it, if you're going to buy a Platinum set or an MP, why do you need a 17 dollar Headmaster?

20. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's because I'm not a hardcore toy collector, but... that Hot Rod looks pretty awful. I mean, his engine is a sticker (or tampo, whatever). Let that sink in. Of course, I also believe that headmasters is one of the dumbest Transformers concepts ever invented.